Mystery thingy

Eldberg

Reaction score
Visit site
When I removed the rear wheel & fender on my 2004 FZ6, the front of the fender was attached to the swing arm with a plastic expander. As I pulled on it, it broke and fell to the floor together with a dark greenish metal thingy.

I assumed that the metal thingy had sat in the same hole, as a gude or reinforcement, only that seemed redundant with a plastic expander – no torque there. But now that I'm reassembling everything, it doesn't fit in the hole on the fender. Also it does not appear in that place in the shop manual.

Images attached. The mystery thing to the left, the broken expander in the middle and a new expander to the right. Extract from shop manual has red markings for the place I'm talking about. The mystery thingy looks just like the object marked in blue. Only, that part is already present at the rear bolt on the right side of the fender.

So where the heck does this thing go?

Yours, Åke

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
those washers normally fit into a recess in the plastic to spread the load out and prevent the plastic wearing or cracking AFAIK

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ True....

They offer a "positive stop" so the bolt securing the plastic can have a suitable torque applied without the concern of mashing the plastic.

I'm pretty sure the left side has zero near the chain guard.
The right side uses at least one under the brake hose mount with the long bolt but honestly I don't know about the back. As many times as I had it off with the shock work... lol

Take a look.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Randy is right, the right side has 2. One under the brake hose mount to the swing arm, and one on top of the (rear) hugger.

Eldberg

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys! I figured it out.

At the place where the brake line is attached to the swing arm, there is first the fender on top of the swing, then the mysterious washer, then on top of that and completely covering it is a piece of metal that holds the brake line. And finally on top of everything is the bolt with a regular flat washer.

Problem solved!

Åke