My winter project for this year

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Last year it was the ktm lc4 this year I'm moving onto something I can honestly say I never thought Id own....

A FORD :BLAA: but I'm picking it up Thursday and I figured it would give me something to play around with while my bikes away, (wishful thinking) but its a 66' F100 with a 351 and 3-on-the-tree. It look ruff but the body is actually VERY straight. The floor pan, not so much, but that's a easy fix already got one picked out at the junk yard off a 80's ford pick up. Don't know what my plans are for it yet, a couple things need to be taken care of 1st like the clutch needs to be adjusted, which I'm told is stupid easy (thanks yamahoe) and it also has a NASTY bog wich is either timing related or fuel related. But when it does run and you get it past that stumble I lit up the tires in 2nd gear by mistake! (Never drove a column shift) so that 351 ain't no slouch!

I'd like to throw a 5sd man in it and call it a day as far as drivetrain goes but we will see. As for looks, I'd love to paint it matte black, polish all the aluminum, red pin stripe and some old smoothies sitting on white walls. I love that look but it has been played out, so I'm also thinking same wheels but a dark matte crimson red. Or maybe some nicer wheels and leave it doo doo brown in some spots, rust, maybe some white, you know that field fresh look. Time will tell but here she isView attachment 45938View attachment 45939View attachment 45940

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the phrase, "You've got your work cut out for you." applies!

I expect to see a dedicated thread with lots of photos. :thumbup:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the phrase, "You've got your work cut out for you." applies!

I expect to see a dedicated thread with lots of photos. :thumbup:

Lol yeah I know I said this winters project, but more then likely it will be a few winters. I'm in no hurry but it should be fun, unless I get bored with it or come across as good as a deal on a Chevy lol.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol yeah I know I said this winters project, but more then likely it will be a few winters. I'm in no hurry but it should be fun, unless I get bored with it or come across as good as a deal on a Chevy lol.

I was thinking more like a dozen winters!

Projects are fun. I wish I could do them full time. I'm having a blast on my XV. It's fun to try to figure out solutions to problems, especially when it works out.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah... Chevyfazer gets a ford.... I feel like complete hypocrite lol like a Christian going to a satan worshipers, well what ever satan worshiper worship in lol but hey if it cool its cool, although I might be tempted to drop a SBC in it just to say I did :BLAA:

But it's getting pulled home with a Chevy so that makes it a little better lol

And yeah, for me, that's my favorite part of any project. That moment when "it" works and "it" works like a champ! "It" being anything you have to take a step back with your tongue hanging halfway out of your mouth, and a hand scratching your head thinking to yourself, "just how the hell am I going to make this work!?!? Ahh HA! Hold my beer and watch this!!!"

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
the clutch is as simple as moving an nut to adjust the endpoint.....the issue could very well be that the bushing dry rotted.

everyone needs to stop hatin on Fords, I just replaced the original clutch in my car at 179,000miles, and this car has still seen 150 recently.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I took a better look at it all yesterday and it looked like that right on the other side of the firewall. And after driving it again I'm fairly certain the clutch is good just WAY out of adjustment, it starts to grab at the top o the pedal, but with that bog it has and where it was at, it fought me tooth and nail trying to get it out of the hole it was in. It was on a driveway but one of the steepest driveways I've ever scene, and with a iffy clutch and a non-reactive throttle it was interesting trying to drive it out of this hole. There was no way I could have backed the trailer to it with how sharp the turns were, gravel rd, and steep incline so it was drive it out or leave it or another day. 1st thing I did was take the fuel filter off (canister style under the mech pump) an clean it because it looked like straight rust colored fuel, and when I did it almost got rid of the bog. But once I started out of course the damn thing staled in the steepest part of the hill, trying to heel and toe a 66 f100 has got to be the one of the hardest things I've done behind the wheel of anything. But with the clutch being iffy and the brakes even more so I said F it, floored it and popped the clutch, she lit up the tires and pulled right on out after that. And that's what makes me say the clutch feels strong just out of adjustment because it hardly slipped at all when I did that, just grabbed, bit, and spun! So I'm looking forward to seeing what this 351 can do!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Correction it's a 352 not a 351, and from what I'm reading it seems like the 352 is basically a 390 with a smaller bore so it should make some nice tq! Open her up a little with a new 4b carb, maybe a aluminum high rise, and get rid of the stock manifolds, going into true x pipe duals should get me a hot little motor, maybe even throw a hotter can in too.