My longest ride yet

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My butt hurts.

Okay, now that we've got that out of the way :spank: I climbed aboard at noon today with the intent of going up to Monte Cristo and back, via Ogden Canyon. I gassed up, checked oil, tires and cash, and headed out. I've really been enjoying the twisties more now that I have new tires (my OEM Bridgestones had squared off pretty badly) and had a great time going up Ogden Canyon (which I know pretty well now). Then I headed thru Huntsville, and then up to Monte Cristo. Some sharper turns, and we kept climbing; finally I had to stop and throw on a flannel shirt under my jacket, it was getting cold. It was also getting breezy, but nothing too bad.
Finally came up on a town called Woodruff, stopped for some iced tea, a stretch and to look at the map.
I passed it, and I really can't tell you what "Monte Cristo" is; I was expecting a town, or a fort, or at least some type of marker; it must just've been the summit. Nice twisty ride regardless. The aspens and scrub oak are just starting to turn color, I need to make this ride again next weekend with the video camera attached to the bike.
After checking the map I realized by heading south I could pass thru a part of Wyoming and into Evanston, then take a very scenic slab of I-80 back into Morgan UT. I did so, and had my first experience with riding in a Wyoming crosswind, damn that got scary in parts. It's also amazing how just a few miles can change the landscape from "mountainous" to "pure Cowboy"; all the guys and gals in the mini-mart where I stopped were in jeans, cowboy shirt, cowboy boots, cowboy hat, and drove trucks; they looked me over but were friendly.
Made it into Evanston, headed west, and my crosswind suddenly became a headwind, and that was a fun fight too (especially since I still have the windshield taken off of my bike). Really love my ThrottleMeister now! :thumbup:
Finally got to Morgan, and noticed that an old bar just off the interstate called the Hitchin Post was open again. My old band played there about eight years ago, and it was, uh, quite the hick little place, we had a blast that night. A sheep walked thru the front door while we were playing, an impromptu wet, and then absent, t-shirt contest occurred while we were playing, and a couple of my coworkers even showed up.
That was eight years ago. Anyway, I pull into the parking lot and wanted a cold beer, but mostly, just to get off the bike for awhile, and I noticed the parking lot was almost all bikes.
All Harleys.
WTH, I'm thirsty, so I went inside and grabbed a bar stool. The guy in a Harley t-shirt next to me slid the peanuts over to me, I bought a temp membership to the bar (one of the few curses to living in Utah), and got a cold Hefe. Chatted with the bar maid and patrons a bit, watched drag racing on the tele, and chuckled as the bar hadn't changed a bit in eight years!
Got back on the bike, and rode thru some construction on I-84, which was actually a relief to get behind a truck going the posted limit of 55 and not have the wind kicking me around so much. Got home about 5:00. Wish I had some pics, but my Nikon D-200/lens won't fit in my tankbag; I need to spring for a small point-n-shoot.

I know most of you have driven much further in one day, but it was my first time and I had a blast. Might be doing the same thing tomorrow! (might put the windshield back on first, though) :thumbup:

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for posting Mr Wayne, how many miles in all?

Now go and soak your saddle sore butt lol.

Nelly

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm, just checked, it was only 170 miles, thought for sure it was much longer than that.
But I like your other idea, filling the tub now... :thumbup: :rolleyes:

S

sportrider

sounds like a nice ride, glad to see you out enjoying a good day. what brand of tires did you switch to?

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice ride! I took a very similar one the other day. Instead of getting back on I80, I kept going south and rode into Mirror Lake Hyw (rt. 150, amazing scenery). Once at Kamas, I went north to Coalville (forget the road's name, runs right next to river). That would loop you back home!
Another classic ride is the Emmigration Canyon -> East Canyon into Morgan ride.
I actually just went to Powder Mtn. today. That is a such a fun ride!
Oh yeah, Monte Cristo is just the range there, no signs. Last time I rode that in July it hailed on me..