My first ride to work today! :)

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not worried you now, but in a few months when you get comfortable in traffic, you gotta remember to re educate your self on the stupidity of cagers, because you will forget and become complacant.:rockon:

I sure hope I don't ever get complacent! I think I will get more confident in MY abilities, but there are way too many stupid people out there on the roads, and hopefully I will always keep that in mind. Gotta watch out for the idiots!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations Elizabeth! Yeah, that's a great feeling. It kinda takes your bike into a new realm because it changes the economics of it. It's not just a fun thing but also a viable transportation tool.
I love riding to work. In fact how I ended up with the FZ6 was I got a bug about using so much fuel using my Jeep to work and back. So I started looking for a little scooter and when I saw the prices they were getting I looked at bikes for only a little more. My wife even said, "Your not a scooter man, go get a bike". She rode on bikes with me in the past.

That's so great that you have this additional, alternative, along with the additional skills.
:rockon:You're awesome!:rockon:

Cliff

Last edited:

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
my boss loves the fact that I ride to work every day because I get there earlier and leave late to avoid traffic so I get more work done.

Funny, when I ride I am always (almost) late. Between the suiting up and the extra 5 miles of back roads I take when I am on the bike I usually get there just in time or a couple min late. But when I get there I am in a great mood !!

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny, when I ride I am always (almost) late. Between the suiting up and the extra 5 miles of back roads I take when I am on the bike I usually get there just in time or a couple min late. But when I get there I am in a great mood !!

you just described my entire work week. LOL:rockon:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just don't forget to wear your gear. Full gear from head to toe.

Sounds like you have a great stategy in riding. Most beginning rider's don't even know that swerving is an option, as most make the mistake of just trying to brake when realistlcally, they don't have enough stopping distance to avoid the collision. And yes, you are entitled to have full use of your lane, so use it wisely whether it's left, middle or right. I always find myself adjusting within the lane as the traffic environment constanly changes around me while I'm rolling.

Last edited:

fazerider

Reaction score
Visit site
Gotta watch out for the idiots!

Hi Elizabeth and welcome to the 2 wheel world.

I started riding on the street when motorcycles were dangerous and sex was safe, now it seems that things have reversed or so the saying goes.
I have been riding my FZ6 5 years and it is a very forgiving bike, easy to control and not overpowered for a newbie or an oldster like a liter bike.
Some free advise.
Take a defensive posture when your in traffic and your sliders will last a long time. I don't know if you have yet or plan to take a safety course but it's a good start. Practice fast stopping when you don't need to so your ready when you do. Like when the light turns yellow and you know you can make it go ahead and stop by downshifting and braking trying to control the stop without locking the rear tire behind the crosswalk. Watch out for that right lane cars will try to enter the road all the way over to the fast lane to make a Uey at the next slot, make right turns from the left lane and straddle the white line in fat 4x4's or if they think your going to lap them. Only white line stopped cars and if they start moving slide back into a lane. Look down both ways at the intersection (more than 2 lanes) before you comitt to whiteline the otherside may have more room. Always look both ways at a greenlight before you let the cluth out there is always a speeder that thinks they are rushing a pregnant lady to the hospital! Daytime highbeams are OK with cross traffic but not really useful on the freeway better to use them to flash someone there when they are trying to cut you off and of course the horn is weak but affective if all else fails.

Good luck and remember the reserve in your tank may go 20 miles but the gas station you just passed is closer and pushing a bike any distance beyond your garage sucks...

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I was a bit of a bundle of nerves, but I rode my bike to work today for the first time. I'm sure it's no biggie to most of you, but, being a newbie, I was a little intimidated at venturing out in 20 miles of traffic, and crossing the Mississippi River on a busy bridge. I did fine, watched the cagers like a hawk, and kept reminding myself to own my lane and get ready to swerve if needed. Now that it's nearly time to go back home, the butterflies are getting active in my stomach again. :eek:

Great job and congrats !

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats! :thumbup:

I always think a little bit of nerves is ok - keeps you alert.

Riding to work is great! It puts a smile on my face and starts the day right. My poor car is probably wondering if I will ever drive it again.

jakury

Reaction score
Visit site
Good for you
A few years ago I bought an old sportster to use as a commuter 50 miles each way. well of coarse the nerves and traffic were bad enough but I had a lot of break downs. well this february I got an 08 fz6 and now have over 7000 miles on it, mostly to work and back. I save 3 gallons of gas a day over my truck and have way more fun. I am luky to live in a place I can take many different routes to keep it interesting.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Just don't forget to wear your gear. Full gear from head to toe.

Sounds like you have a great stategy in riding. Most beginning rider's don't even know that swerving is an option, as most make the mistake of just trying to brake when realistlcally, they don't have enough stopping distance to avoid the collision. And yes, you are entitled to have full use of your lane, so use it wisely whether it's left, middle or right. I always find myself adjusting within the lane as the traffic environment constanly changes around me while I'm rolling.

YEP! I learned it all in the BRC! I had never been on a bike until I took the course. It was a tremendous help, even for the guys that had been riding for years already..they learned a lot too. I was the only "newbie" in the class, and I was one of two that passed with a perfect score. :cheer:
Thanks for your advice, everyone! It is much appreciated. :)

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats Elizabeth! It's a great feeling huh?

The best part is that no matter how crappy the day at work was...you will always feel amazingly better when you see your bike as you head out to the parking lot!

I need a base sticker so I can ride into work again...used to ride in while we were in the shipyards but we're back at the base now. :(

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats Elizabeth! It's a great feeling huh?

The best part is that no matter how crappy the day at work was...you will always feel amazingly better when you see your bike as you head out to the parking lot!

I need a base sticker so I can ride into work again...used to ride in while we were in the shipyards but we're back at the base now. :(

Half of the people in my class were from Scott AF Base..and had to take the class to ride on base. They were very happy they did it, and can bring their "babies" to base.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got home from a weekend business conference so sorry for being a little late, but Congratulations Elizabeth :thumbup: Next time will be easier....but always watch out for those cagers, you never know what they are going to do.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Good Luck... the morning ride is something that makes the worst of days worth it... 70MPH before 8AM could only be improved by a coffee holder and straw...

and from the soap box... IMO the five fingered gesture (wave) is a much better way to deal with the cagers (vs the one fingered salute). I don't know about elsewhere but the wave is usually answered by an apology around here. Like my patients they're usually not aware that they're gonna hurt ya.

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good Luck... the morning ride is something that makes the worst of days worth it... 70MPH before 8AM could only be improved by a coffee holder and straw...

and from the soap box... IMO the five fingered gesture (wave) is a much better way to deal with the cagers (vs the one fingered salute). I don't know about elsewhere but the wave is usually answered by an apology around here. Like my patients they're usually not aware that they're gonna hurt ya.

That's a good point on the hand signals. As far as turn signals, I don't really use the hand signals because most drivers probably don't even know them in the first place..I guess at least they'd see something and MAYBE think about what could be taking place.. I've noticed that a lot of car drivers and even pedestrians react with some kind of fear towards a bike since they don't know what you are about to do..and since you can do everything beyond the capability of their cars, it makes it even worse for them.

I've found that if I am clear with some kind of hand signal to let people in front of me if they are hesitant, or anything else..they generally respond very well and are easy to work with.