My First Issue With FZ6, Plz Advise

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys. Will try to keep this short and sweet and while minor and not recurring (yet) i figured I'd try to nip it in the bud and maybe help some other readers down the road.

Went to start bike this morning. First start of day. Bike is in neutral, key is ON, I hit the start button, and the starter cranks / engages for one second and completely stops without my releasing the button, or the bike starting.

I hit the button again, and nothing at all. Just silence. Once more with the bike in gear but the clutch in, and the same. I will note the side stand is down the entire time, the bike leaning. I put the bike back into neutral, turn the ignition OFF and then back on. The gauges do the ordinary routine, I can hear the fuel pump "prime." I hit the start button again and the bike does nothing. I go OFF / ON once more, press button, and it starts running as normal! It then stops running after 5 seconds, engine completely shuts down. I hit the button and nothing.

I turn the key OFF and back on again. All seems ok with the gauges and priming. I do it again just for the sake of it and hit the button. The bike starts and runs as always and does so after a cold stop (bike parked for two hours) and several hot starts where the bike was sitting just several minutes. I go out before bed and start the bike from cold once more, twice...and all is fine.

As said, no big deal, but maybe an impending one? I got no error codes or what have you. But if it happens again, what is to suspect FIRST? Or maybe it was simply a "bike glitch" of some sort? I see it as a "first start of day" problem. But is their an identifiable reason for it? It sounds "kill switchy" to me, but i never use the kill switch on the bars or kickstand. And what do I know about it, anyway?! Thats why I am HERE =]

Some great minds here, I know a few will have a couple ideas.

Thanks!

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
1st thought- a dodgy kill switch.
Now many others have posted how too's- mine is never used so no dramas- fingers crossed

So if you can 'short' or by pass that switch you might isolate the problem

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
1st thought- a dodgy kill switch.
Now many others have posted how too's- mine is never used so no dramas- fingers crossed

So if you can 'short' or by pass that switch you might isolate the problem

That was my initial thought as most likely the issue, BUT the fuel pump shouldn't work either. Perhaps it has enough of a contact to run the pump but not the starter(which pulls alot more).

Anyway, below is a link on how to by pass and later in the same thread, how to clean the contacts in the switch. Probably not bad to do as preventive maintainance anyways;

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-electrical/48311-run-switch-faulty.html?highlight=kill+switch+fix

Post #22 to by-pass, further down are pic's & instructions actually taking the kill switch apart, seeing the nasty contacts, cleaning, and re-assembly.

Do you use the RED KILL switch often?