My First Fall.... Embarrassing...

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On Friday morning I took my bike to be washed (I hate washing it myself :)) and when leaving the shopping centre car park, turning round a building I was confronted with a Fiat Uno on the wrong side of the road. Grabbed a handful and down I went.

So I'm lying on my left side with my foot pinned under the bike and Uno idiot says (WHILE LEANING OUT THE WINDOW!) "hey man, you okay?" I replied "how about getting the bike up so that I can get up!!" Two other guys lifted it up and I was tempted to deck this kid but common sense prevailed.

Anyway, now I have a swollen ankle and road rash on my left arm and knee. Bike is still functional but some damage to left fairing and engine cover. Later that day we went to a rally and was asked many times what happened but I was embarrassed to say because it was such a stupid incident. I'm going on holiday on Wednesday and it won't be fixed by then so I'll be riding a bashed bike at least until the new year :(

T

TheVmaxrider

Sorry to hear about your misfortune!! I have dropped my bike once and understand exactly how you feel. Mine was a similar situation, but I edge trapped my front wheel and flipped off the bike. Luckily I landed on my feet and actually caught the bike with my side and left hand. Only minor damage to the rear brake pedal. Got lucky!!!

W

wrightme43

That sucks man.
No grabby grabby on the brakes. LOL

Also hook up on some gear man. Good gear and stuff like that only hurts your pride.

Heres to getting it fixed up quick.

Also frame sliders they protect the bike but also give a little extra room to keep it from mashing your feet as well.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That sucks man.
No grabby grabby on the brakes. LOL

Also hook up on some gear man. Good gear and stuff like that only hurts your pride.

Heres to getting it fixed up quick.

Also frame sliders they protect the bike but also give a little extra room to keep it from mashing your feet as well.

I know I know... but sometimes instinct overrides common sense :)

W

wrightme43

LOL I hear you man.

Thats one of the bad things about motorcycles. Everything our body thinks is right is just wrong.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, it happens. Mine happened in a parking lot full of people. Stupid Yukon pulled out in front of me, pulled too hard, bike dropped.
Get gear, learn, move on.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
I lost my balance in a parking lot too...still don't know why. Luckily my sliders took all the hit, but I was so pissed I couldn't concentrate for a few seconds and get the bike up. A couple of friends picked the poor fizzer up for me.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
wrightme43;137051 Also frame sliders they protect the bike but also give a little extra room to keep it from mashing your feet as well.[/quote said:
We've all done, welcome to the club! I've done it several times, but always when I'm stopped, never rolling. After the 3rd time, I ended up getting some frame sliders, and go figure, haven't dropped the bike since. It's been about a year and half without incident. I'm not going to rehash my memorable items, but you can read about them in the Hall of Shame forum.

Oh one more thing, make sure you know how to pick up your bike! It will save you from another embarrasing moment.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
glad that you are ok, and that your first fall was such a minor incident. just learn from it and the costs of the damage will be worth 10 fold in the lesson learned.

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
I prided myself on no "events" for my first 15,000 miles. Then, I tried to go from 40 to 5 MPH and make a U-turn on a very narrow road. I saw a "look-out" that I wanted to take a picture of. Suddenly, mid-turn, realized I was going to run out of room and hadn't found the friction zone once I got it down to first, stopped the bike with the wheel turned sharply. Down she went, ever-so-slow, so I got to watch the results of my stupidlty in super-slow motion. I got my foot out in time and lowered it gently but my pride took a big hit. I think I beat you in the stupid department. At least yours was caused by the idiot on the wrong side of the road. Mine was caused by thinking I was Steve Mcqeen's stunt double. I'm sorry to hear of your fall. Hope your foot heels fast. Lots of ice early on! Yea, good gear and frame sliders are great!

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to be sympathetic because I think most of us have done something similar and even though we all say "Oh it happens to us all", it does not make it any less embarassing at the time.

But I read this "I took my bike to be washed " and sorry I cannot show any sympathy. Did you not know that if other people clean your bike for you that you always fall off afterwards??

It is one of the elementary rules of biking that you clean your own bike.

Steve

BKKFZ6

Regular Joe
Reaction score
Visit site
Happy that you're OK. I expect the ankle bruises will heal faster than the bruised pride. It's darned fustrating lying under the bike with some morons gawking :eek:at you!

Just curious, if you had any advice to offer to others if you think you could have done someting differently to avoid the fall? (can you wheelie over an Uno... just kidding;)).

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the off. Glad to know you'll be OK though! The bike can be fixed easily enough... you cannot be fixed that easy.

I've yet to drop an FZ6 but I'm sure that one day it will happen. I had many years on dirst, enduro and MotoX bikes with many offs, half of them rather embarrassing. These are all chocked up to experience and I've learned my limits. However, in your situation, instinct taught you the wrong way. Armed with the knowledge gained, practice until instinct becomes muscle memory and you're doing the right thing.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
But I read this \"I took my bike to be washed \" and sorry I cannot show any sympathy. Did you not know that if other people clean your bike for you that you always fall off afterwards??

It is one of the elementary rules of biking that you clean your own bike.

Steve

I knew someone would say something stupid.