My first bike, seller rode it to my house. I've got a question!

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I got today my first ever bike: 2005 Yamaha FZ6. The seller was kind enough to ride it for 70 km to my house, which also included high-speed highway driving.

However, just now I'm sitting on the bike in the garage, playing with the gears (engine not running). I noticed that I can't go past 3rd. What's up with that, is it normal? I can go into 1st, then up over the neutral into 2nd, then 3d, and then---nothing! What's up with that?

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
welcome and congrats on your bike, it should be normal they dont go onto high gear with engine not running, unless you move the bike a little. Be sure to take a MSF course as it will save you alot of money in the long run and possibly medical bills :D

S

Shamus McFeeley

You need to get the transmission moving, the only way to do that is to spin the rear wheel.

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the relief guys! :)

Regarding the MSF course---I'm registered for it in 2 weeks. I won't ride it until then, I promise! And I won't lie, cause wife is keeping an eye on me ;) (I made that promise to her too)

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't fool around with the transmission if the rear wheel isn't turning, they aren't designed for that purpose and you run the risk of bending the shifting dogs and levers. And it's not good practice to put it on its centerstand and run the engine in gear.

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't fool around with the transmission if the rear wheel isn't turning, they aren't designed for that purpose and you run the risk of bending the shifting dogs and levers. And it's not good practice to put it on its centerstand and run the engine in gear.

Got it! Thanks! :)

grocery thrower

Beer Head
Reaction score
Visit site
Read the sticky, Rock the gear or skinned alive. Do that before you ever get your bike out on the street..please! Congrats on the new bike, Yamaha Rocks :rockon: there is no other!!!

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
picture.php

Since you cant ride it...you might as well show it...let's see that baby!:D

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
Even after MSF, stick to your subdivision or neighborhood as be the case for several minutes before going out onto busy city streets (which are FAR more dangerous than freeways). Remember, the faster you go, the faster things happen. In MSF, you'll top out at 30/50 mph/kph in a highly controlled environment.

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Even after MSF, stick to your subdivision or neighborhood as be the case for several minutes before going out onto busy city streets (which are FAR more dangerous than freeways). Remember, the faster you go, the faster things happen. In MSF, you'll top out at 30/50 mph/kph in a highly controlled environment.

By all means! My plan is to take everything extremely slowly. To keep my self-esteem in check, I've decided that after the MSF cource I'll put about 10 hours of practice in the quiet streets of my neighborhood, then I'll put about 5 hours of practice in a large parking lot (doing emergency stopping, and other drills), and only then I'll venture "out". Only tricky part is that to get to the large parking lot, I need to cross a few busy streets, hence the preliminary "neighborhood" practice :rockon:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll post my thoughts on it being a new street rider myself...i came from many years of off road bikes and a few things i learned there have already saved my arse.... first...backroads...if you are exploring backroads looking for twistys or just exploring...beware the loose oil/stone roads...

Next in collaboration with that last thought.... knowing how to control your bike with your back brake locked up is priceless, although i'm not sure i'd recommend practicing it on a new bike, though i had to do it once already on my new versys within 1k of riding it.

You'll learn alot about bike control in the msf but if you ever see a patch of gravel in the road from rain, tractors, Town d-bags too cheap to repave my road :spank: etc... you want alot of back brake, very little to no front brake if you have to slow down/stop.... locking the front pretty well seals your doom but the back brake is controllable...

Always assume the cager on the side street doesn't know your there... a quick flash of the brights (newer bikes come with a "pass" bright flick switch just for this) or a quick toot of the horn if you're not sure they see you... and always cover the brake anyways.. in 4k miles of street riding i've already had probably a a dozen times where covering the brake/ changing lane postioning has saved me.

Gratz on the bike! remember ATGATT etc and remember have fun but ride safe!

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Don't flash your lights at cars pulling out of a side street. Many people would think you are signaling them the right of way. If you are unsure slow down and keep a eye on them.

And motorcycles have had passing switches for ever, just not in the states. I've owned a few that had the switch and a fuse holder but no wireing.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't flash your lights at cars pulling out of a side street. Many people would think you are signaling them the right of way. If you are unsure slow down and keep a eye on them.

And motorcycles have had passing switches for ever, just not in the states. I've owned a few that had the switch and a fuse holder but no wireing.

i don't flash at just any car, just the ones i see easing out, and 98% of the time you see them spike the brakes... never had one cut me off from doing it...

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com

I gotta agree with iSteve about not flashing your lights. It's a signal that could easily be misconstrued as the motorcyclist giving the car permission to pull out.

Personally, during the day, I ride with my high beam on all the time for increased visibility (unless I'm following somebody for a while and there's little chance of side traffic). And with my dual bi-xenon HID projector headlights, they are quite bright. :rockon: