My Bodged Clutch Lever Spacer

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay then, people may think this is an awful thing to do that will ruin my clutch or something. It hasn't had any negative effects or anything yet, but if there is constructive criticism please let me know with reasons! Basically, I wish the clutch lever was adjustable. I have no intention of paying hundreds for ASV etc (although they are soooo nice) so I needed something to bring the lever a little closer for my ickle fingers.

My idea was to put a washer or something over the cable that will fit in the gap you can see below and push the level towards my hand a bit:-

This is the amount of slack I have before the clutch starts to engage:-

Here is my solution. A rubber o-ring. I was going to use a split washer and bend it - but I didn't like the metal rubbing against metal idea or it breaking and jamming something up. The o-ring is great because it can go over the end of the clutch cable easily and also can be squashed a bit with no problems:-

It's now a bit closer than the front brake lever and I'm on the lookout for a slightly smaller o-ring at the moment so I can have them the same. I tried using tiny ones that fitted inside the lever and could hardly be seen, but because there is a gap inside, I would need loads!

It seems to be working fine so far and also I can easily grab the clutch straight away when needed now - even with my bulky winter gloves on:-

Hopefully my clutch is loose enough that it's not rubbing and wearing itself down all the time I'm riding of course! That's my major worry and I'll have to check it after a month or so to be sure.

Last edited:

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
As long as you adjust the free play at the clutch as per spec then the clutch won't be slipping, it may not fully disengage though but if gear changes are OK :thumbup:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
As long as you adjust the free play at the clutch as per spec then the clutch won't be slipping, it may not fully disengage though but if gear changes are OK :thumbup:
Yeah, I'll have to keep an eye on it as bits wear in/stretch, but at the moment it engages fully about 1-2cm in. Of course, it's only 9 months old or so.

ClarkFZ6

Reaction score
www.sdmf.com
Hi mate, been a while since I've been on here! Can't you just turn the silver wheel to adjust the clutch lever spacing?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's a good idea. I have the same problem and you could even use smaller diameter "O"rings and stack them. The engage/disengage is such a short distance you can really shorten the grab on the lever but you're left over with the play

I never liked my clutch cable either. At the end of a day of thrashing in the twisties my tendons can get a little sore. I've squeezed other clutches and they are far better. Maybe I just have a crappy one.

Good luck and I like the idea.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi mate, been a while since I've been on here! Can't you just turn the silver wheel to adjust the clutch lever spacing?
That just adjusts the slack before the clutch engages. It won't make the lever move towards my hand. It just means that I can loosen it there and then put the o-ring in between to push it towards my hand without the clutch engaging until I pull the lever.

Do you break up for the hols on Wed Clark? Fancy popping for a ride down the New Forest or summat on Thur?