My 61 year old mom got a bike!

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
She just got her permit two weeks ago and joined the Yamaha family with a TW200, her first night she put 6 miles on it in a parking lot! The next time 7 and then she hit the street and did some local stuff. When she got home her hands were bruised up from the death grip you can't really see it in the pic though, I got a kick out of this. Never to old I guess. Everyone thought she was crazy at first and I'm sure they still do. I told her I would post this "for the guys" so please leave some kind words of encouragement here for her!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
She just got her permit two weeks ago and joined the Yamaha family with a TW200, her first night she put 6 miles on it in a parking lot! The next time 7 and then she hit the street and did some local stuff. When she got home her hands were bruised up from the death grip you can't really see it in the pic though, I got a kick out of this. Never to old I guess. Everyone thought she was crazy at first and I'm sure they still do. I told her I would post this "for the guys" so please leave some kind words of encouragement here for her!

Oh man, that's SO cool! I wish I could get my mom to do that, both parents in the medical field so.....you can guess the reaction I got when I got the bike.

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh man, that's SO cool! I wish I could get my mom to do that, both parents in the medical field so.....you can guess the reaction I got when I got the bike.

Yeah I can, some people were pretty aggressive, and I use that world confidently.

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Great to hear, kudo's to her, well done Mrs Recluse :cheer:

My mum has riden a 125 (UK rules) on and off for many years (she's now 67).

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
She just got her permit two weeks ago and joined the Yamaha family with a TW200, her first night she put 6 miles on it in a parking lot! The next time 7 and then she hit the street and did some local stuff. When she got home her hands were bruised up from the death grip you can't really see it in the pic though, I got a kick out of this. Never to old I guess. Everyone thought she was crazy at first and I'm sure they still do. I told her I would post this "for the guys & girls" so please leave some kind words of encouragement here for her!

and fixed your post :thumbup:

Your mom doesn't have that many more years on me! I took a few years off cause of kids and whatnot..... but started riding again back in 07 when I got my FZ6. Now I have an FZ1 & an XT225.
I think it's great! I hope you guys post up some more pictures.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
That's cool! My mom went thousands and thousands of miles on her Honda step through . Went everywhere, not once fell down, I can't say the same. She was in a promotion from Honda, one of the "nicest people" type deals. They gave her her 2nd bike. Maybe 120,000 miles total. Then she got a driver's license. She was 70+ then.

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your mom ROCKS!!!!! That is a wonderful picture of her too. Nice to know I have some good years of riding ahead of me. Makes me feel like I started "early" ;)

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
That's cool! My mom went thousands and thousands of miles on her Honda step through . Went everywhere, not once fell down, I can't say the same. She was in a promotion from Honda, one of the "nicest people" type deals. They gave her her 2nd bike. Maybe 120,000 miles total. Then she got a driver's license. She was 70+ then.

Great story, she's loving the replies!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've always like that Yamaha! Tell mom she's now a, "Hot Motorcycle Momma"! Blah Get her signed up here on the forum so we can give here a proper welcome to our big family!

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
Hellz ya! Tell your mom , "YOU GO GIRL!". totally awesome! Never to young. ( see what I did there!).

My mom has tried a couple times but just couldn't get the hang of it well enough to be comfortable to go out of the drive. Although she has asked me a few times over the years I have ridden to go for a short ride. And really really wants to now I have my gold wing.

Tell yours also to keep at it and have fun! Your only as old as you act!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site

That would be my mom.... I had the bike for over a year before she knew, but i never lied about it or anything, even told her i was going for a ride. she just assumed it was on the dirtbike or bicycle. She's okay with it now though

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hope she's wearing gloves. Has she taken the MSF? If yes, she's eligible to receive a 15% discount from Cycle Gear, 30 days from the date of her card.

Shiny_side_up

Reaction score
Visit site
That's awesome!

When I took my MSF course, there was a group of 4 women that were 60+ who had all decided to come and take the class together. All 4 of them passed and one of them kicked everyone's butts in the figure-8. Most of us squeaked by with inches to spare - she was probably 3' inside the lines the whole time.

Be sure to tell her "no wheelies!" At least not for a while.

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm the same age as your mom. Tell her she has a bet on who rides the longest. It'll give her (and me) something to shoot for!

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Tell her way to go. I'm only a year or two behind and just last year traded my FZ6 for a CBR600RR, had my heart fixed and now I'm good to go for a long time and I'm a long ways from being old!

Sweater Dude - my bosses son is an ER doc and last year while riding his motorcycle to work he dropped it and had to get fixed up at the ER! His coworkers enjoyed it tremendously and once they had him patched up it was "OK, now get to work"!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some of you might have noticed I ran some desert races with my uncle. I was 32 then and him 5o+'ish something. I'm not gonna put a number to it but we're both still riding today and he is a generation older! Never to old to ride!

Good job! Lots a practice building on good foundation! Have fun!