Mounting tires without tools* (and other tire tips)

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
*mostly

So, I saw this post on ADV Rider by a user named Poolside a couple years ago and decided to finally try it this weekend. I run Pilot Road 2's and all tire/wheel combos are different, but I expect it should work with all FZ6 mounts. Wow.. just wow. The tire just pops on with a slight kick.

I cinched the up with 8 lashing straps making sure the beads were touching all the way around

I sprayed one side down with WD40, placed it on the rim and simply pushed it in place.

Outstanding little trick.
Removal of the old tire still takes tire irons (unless you want to cut it off), but this still really cuts some time and sweat out of tire day.

I'll post my bead breaker set up as well in case anybody that stumbled upon this needs some ideas..

I made an open-back ramp for my truck:

And placed the wheel on a frame to keep the sprocket/rotors of the ground..

And this is the full setup..

Reactions: fmf

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen where to remove the tire, once you break the bead you can use 6 large zip ties to compress the tire (in place of the straps) and work it off by hand. I'm actually going to try that this week.

One thing I'd like to know before I get started, what do you use to jack up the front end to remove the wheel? I have an eye bolt mounted to the ceiling in my garage that I hang my heavy bag from that I thought about using to ratchet up the front by the middle of the handle bars with the bike on center stand. What do you guys do?

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen where to remove the tire, once you break the bead you can use 6 large zip ties to compress the tire (in place of the straps) and work it off by hand. I'm actually going to try that this week.

One thing I'd like to know before I get started, what do you use to jack up the front end to remove the wheel? I have an eye bolt mounted to the ceiling in my garage that I hang my heavy bag from that I thought about using to ratchet up the front by the middle of the handle bars with the bike on center stand. What do you guys do?

motorcycle_front_paddock_stand.jpg

I don't know the exact brand but my stand is the same type. I used this on my old ZX6 and VFR. It should work just as good with the FZ6.

Last edited:

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site

I usually place a bag or two of mulch (or similar) on the rear of the bike to weigh it down thereby lifting the front. After removing the wheel I like to place some wood or a small cooler under the front of the bike in case somebody decides they need some mulch for their garden.. :eek:

Others tie the rear of of bike down to the wheel of their car.

I think your eye bolt is the perfect solution though. If you center stand decides to fold up your bike isn't going anywhere. I would consider running two ropes down to a wider point on the bars just for stability. Be sure to loosen the axle bolt BEFORE putting it on the center stand and raising it though.

Or if you're in a hurry and feeling fiesty just balance it on the center stand and remove both wheels..

Dsc01808-sm.jpg

Last edited:

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
"I usually place a bag or two of mulch (or similar) on the rear of the bike to weigh it down thereby lifting the front. After removing the wheel I like to place some wood or a small cooler under the front of the bike in case somebody decides they need some mulch for their garden.."

Cool, Thanks

Others tie the rear of of bike down to the wheel of their car.

I think your eye bolt is the perfect solution though. If you center stand decides to fold up your bike isn't going anywhere. I would consider running two ropes down to a wider point on the bars just for stability. Be sure to loosen the axle bolt BEFORE putting it on the center stand and raising it though.

Glad you added that!

"Or if you're in a hurry and feeling fiesty just balance it on the center stand and remove both wheels.."

:eek::eek::eek:

OK, so I'm going to try to do the front myself first (remove wheel, break bead, remove tire, replace tire, seat bead, static balance, install wheel), then go to the back. If I have a problem and need to take them to a dealer to do my tires and want to take both at the same time I should:

Loosen axle bolts, center stand it, use one of the above methods to remove front wheel, put the front back down some, rest the forks on something, then remove the rear wheel and do all that I can to make sure it stays balanced and can't/won't fall over while I'm getting the tires change? Sounds simple enough if so.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I found out that my local cycle gear store mounts and balance for 20$. All I do is remove the wheel. Tires are a
Their own beast I'd like to know they are balance before I put them on :) but that's a sick setup if I had a garage I'd be doing the same thing lol

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
nothing wrong with D.I.Y.,I just dont have that kinda energy anymore.. I will build the bike from the frame up,but i just pay em at the shop to mount and balance my tires Price does not exceed effort exerted for me!! LOL :BLAA: Nice work!! :rockon: :rockon:

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, so I'm going to try to do the front myself first (remove wheel, break bead, remove tire, replace tire, seat bead, static balance, install wheel), then go to the back. If I have a problem and need to take them to a dealer to do my tires and want to take both at the same time I should:

Loosen axle bolts, center stand it, use one of the above methods to remove front wheel, put the front back down some, rest the forks on something, then remove the rear wheel and do all that I can to make sure it stays balanced and can't/won't fall over while I'm getting the tires change? Sounds simple enough if so.

The only thing I would add is that you should somehow lash the center stand to the front portion of the bike to keep it from folding when it's balanced like that.

Oh, and two tips for removing the front wheel.
1.Don't forget to loosen the socket bolt on the bottom front of the one fork. (I leave the allen wrench hanging out out of the socket until I'm done so I don't forget to tighten it later)
2.The tool that comes with the bike has a 74% chance of breaking when you try to loosen the axle. I saw a tip on here a while back that recommended using the back end of a 5/8" spark plug socket. Just pull the rubber "spark plug grabber" out and stick an extension through the front. This works perfect and it won't snap on you. I think 04Fizzer came up with this.

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
The only thing I would add is that you should somehow lash the center stand to the front portion of the bike to keep it from folding when it's balanced like that.

Oh, and two tips for removing the front wheel.
1.Don't forget to loosen the socket bolt on the bottom front of the one fork. (I leave the allen wrench hanging out out of the socket until I'm done so I don't forget to tighten it later)
2.The tool that comes with the bike has a 74% chance of breaking when you try to loosen the axle. I saw a tip on here a while back that recommended using the back end of a 5/8" spark plug socket. Just pull the rubber "spark plug grabber" out and stick an extension through the front. This works perfect and it won't snap on you. I think 04Fizzer came up with this.

Thanks! I removed my front wheel without issue using the spark plug as the axle tool as mentioned. After installing my center stand and putting the bike up and checking the balance point I decided not to take my heavy bag down and go through that so I just strapped the rear down, removed the wheel, then rested the forks on a box. I used your tool for breaking the bead.....just modified a little. Instead of using the ramp I just used my rear hitch as a lever point. Beads broke fine. Then the fun part came......

Removing the tire using zip ties. Never done it before, saw a video, looked easy enough. Well fishing the first couple zip ties through was a PITA. That took more time than actually working the tire off the rim by hand. Once I got the first two fished under and mostly tightened I fished one under at the same spot as the second, then slid it down to where I wanted it to go. That was SO MUCH EASIER. The last three went on in probably 1 minute. Then I squeezed the tire as much as I could at each tie then pulled them as tight as I could without breaking. I did break one and had to redo it. Once it was all zip tied up I soaked it down with windex and started working it off by hand. It slipped off great at first until it got to the do or die point, then it took a good bit of effort to get over that "hump". Probably a solid 5 minutes of pulling and working at it and once it passed that point it just came right off.
Completely tool less removal other than needle nose pliers to grab the first two fished ties then using it to help cinch them tight.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A round of wood under the header works perfect. Leaver it shorter to simulate fork compression (while away) and slide a thin board under it when ready to work on it again. You can throw a short jack stand under the rear if you fear it falling backwards.

Brave maneuver using Zip Ties to remove the tire! Good Job!

Reactions: fmf

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
A round of wood under the header works perfect. Leaver it shorter to simulate fork compression (while away) and slide a thin board under it when ready to work on it again. You can throw a short jack stand under the rear if you fear it falling backwards.

Brave maneuver using Zip Ties to remove the tire! Good Job!

Good ideas. I was leery about putting something under the headers, guess its no big deal?

I figured I would try the zip ties and if it didn't work I would cut them off and take the wheels to the shop and pretend like nothing happened :D I have a feeling that the rear is going to be more difficult, but I'm hoping with only one rotor to deal with I can pull it off from the sprocket side and be able to get my non tire hand on the wheel "spoke" to get more leverage. We'll see tonight.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
If you have frame sliders, you could build side stands out of wood pretty quickly for stability and peace of mind if you are worried about one strap to the ceiling. I had my ex500 tied up to the ceiling over the winter while I worked on it, and it definitely could have twisted and hit the back plastics on the ground if I didnt have a jack under the headers. no sliders on that bike.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
Is there anything you need to do for sealing the tire? I know with car tires it can be an issue. But then there is the lighter fluid trick. :p

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife told me her ex used to do this trick. I don't think I would try it myself.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcIj1BBTQjc]Motorcycle burnout till tire pop - YouTube[/ame]

just found this on the interwebs..

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
Is there anything you need to do for sealing the tire? I know with car tires it can be an issue. But then there is the lighter fluid trick. :p

Not sure about the OP, but I plan on using lots of windex and a bicycle tire pump to seat the beads......i might just video that :D

If you have frame sliders, you could build side stands out of wood pretty quickly for stability and peace of mind if you are worried about one strap to the ceiling. I had my ex500 tied up to the ceiling over the winter while I worked on it, and it definitely could have twisted and hit the back plastics on the ground if I didnt have a jack under the headers. no sliders on that bike.

A stand that uses the sliders, yet another good idea. Never thought of using them for anything other than sliders and a spot to rest my feet while cruising.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good ideas. I was leery about putting something under the headers, guess its no big deal?

Even if it were 100lb of weight on the header it's solid and will be fine. You will not crush or distort them as the as the center stand is taking 85% of the load. I did the fork swap on round of Cedar so smelled good too!

As for seating the bead, it should nearly seat itself on that little rim. A hand tire pump should be a good work out tho! lol I wonder how many of these :iconbeer: we can collectively put down in the time it takes to pump it up? lol

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
*mostly

So, I saw this post on ADV Rider by a user named Poolside a couple years ago and decided to finally try it this weekend. I run Pilot Road 2's and all tire/wheel combos are different, but I expect it should work with all FZ6 mounts. Wow.. just wow. The tire just pops on with a slight kick.

I cinched the up with 8 lashing straps making sure the beads were touching all the way around

I sprayed one side down with WD40, placed it on the rim and simply pushed it in place.

:eek: Dude put down and step away from the WD40...you are asking for trouble...get yourself some....

463466416_7210c01d83_z.jpg

232319.jpg

Last edited:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm able to spoon a tubed and tube-less tire on and off a rim.
I use 3 tire levers, rim savers and a c-clamp to break the bead.

This is how I got started, plus countless vids on youtube:
Neduro's Tire Changing Class - ADVrider

The c-clamp has to be used to get the tire past the inner safety bead and into the cavity.

i like teeters idea with the straps, but putting the tire on is easy enough. the hard part is spooning the tire off the final bead. if the tire has a very stiff sidewall it can be a pita to do. usually more soap will help.
i can almost do it without any scratches on the rim.....