Motorbike in 12 month storage or sell?

Kaz247

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Dilemma here, I'm going traveling in the summer for 12 months, can't wait so excited!

Now should I put my beloved bike in storage or sell her? :(

What would I have to do if it went in storage and is it likely to cause any problems for sitting dormant for so long?

I have to ask my Dad to build a shed in his back garden for it, haha that's what Dads are for eh?

Any help will be greatly appreciated thank you

Kaz

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Dilemma here, I'm going traveling in the summer for 12 months, can't wait so excited!

Now should I put my beloved bike in storage or sell her? :(

What would I have to do if it went in storage and is it likely to cause any problems for sitting dormant for so long?

I have to ask my Dad to build a shed in his back garden for it, haha that's what Dads are for eh?

Any help will be greatly appreciated thank you

Kaz

If you've got a closed space to store it in, I say keep it. Top off the gas and put some stabilizer in it and run it for a while to work it through the system. Change the oil and filter. Give her a nice good-bye wash and wax. Stick her her in the shed, put a battery maintainer on it to keep the battery fresh. Shove some towels in the exhaust to keep rodents out. Kick her up on the center stand and through a cover over to keep the dust off if you wish and you should be good.

We have Yamaha snowmobiles as well (very similar motor to the R1) and always store them like this for ~8-9 months in the summer and have never had a problem. Start right up when we bring them out.

Last edited:

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing better than free storage if you can con your dad into building a shed for you!!!! given the way the market is for bikes right now you probably wouldn't get as much for the bike as you would want. and 12 months isn't too bad for it as long as you take care of it first like brad said. :thumbup:

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the above responses.

However, I would also add that you should get the front wheel off the ground too -- either a front stand or at least put maybe some plywood (or maybe a blanket) under the front tire to keep it from flat spotting.

It would be even better if you can get someone to ride it for you for the 12 months -- but then they'd have to "put it away" again as well as you did.

Hm... was trying to figure out what work one does to go away for 12 months; just make sure you come back to your sleeping bike :).

Dennis

Last edited:

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
If you like the FZ6 enough to post the question here, you most certainly like the bike enough to store it for a year!

Have a safe trip, and your FZ6 will be waiting for you when you get back home.

Kaz247

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for your reply's. Wrapped in cotton wool for me coming home is definitely the best option.

I work at Leisure Centre, been there for about 10 years. They are really supportive and my 12 month sabbatical has been granted. It will be nice to know I have a job to come back to especially with the economical climate as it is.

Cheers

Kaz

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site

I gotta say, I'm kind of surprised no one has asked...

Where ya goin for 12 months? Sounds like one helluva vacation!! Wish I could get away for that long...

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, have a great trip first of all.
Can dad biuld the shelter and also take the baby for a short ride once every 2 or 3 weeks??
I live in NY and for winter I have my bike in my covered parking garage and since some days are nice enough to ride I don't want to put her to sleep the entire season, it is a 2008 and I ride it like 2-3 times every month for the winter and she is fine every time.

Kaz247

Reaction score
Visit site
I gotta say, I'm kind of surprised no one has asked...

Where ya goin for 12 months? Sounds like one helluva vacation!! Wish I could get away for that long...

Round the world

South East Asia, Oz, New Zealand, South America and North America!

18 weeks to go and counting! :D

Hoshiko, Dad can no way ride my bike.:eek:

When he was a teen he had a bike and wrapped it round a lamp post! Mangled himself and the bike!

Cheers guys

Karen

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kudos Karen for being able to take the time and travel!

I'd store it. The only trouble I can see would be if your fuel has ethanol in it. Even Stabil or Sea Foam would have a difficult time with such a long time not running. But if you do, when you get back, I'd drain that fuel before ever starting it up and replace it with fresh fuel regardless. What are the lowest temps the bike will endure while under wraps?

Also, either remove and store the battery with a battery tender on it while away. It will keep the battery cycled as if it were in use with the proper tender attached.

Good points above about the tires. Get them off the ground, let most of the air out ans ask Dad to treat them with a good rubber protectant every couple months to keep them flexible and moist.

Hope that helps!