Mobil 1 synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

yama4566

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys I'm new to the site and had a question regarding oils for the fz6.....

I have been using yamalube ever since I bought the bike back in August of '09 and I have been looking into using full synthetic. Does anyone use regular automotive mobil 1 full synth in their bike? Mobil 1 also has a full synth specifically for motorcycles, however it is considerably more expensive and not available in my location. Stick with yamalube? Try mobil 1 full synth? Thanks!

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Check the bottle of oil for a small emblem that says "energy conserving". If the bottle says energy conserving, it should not be used in a motorcycle engine that employs a wet clutch like the FZ6 does.

Energy conserving oils help automotive engines get better fuel economy, but they contain substances that can cause your wet clutch to fail since it's lubricated by the engine oil.

Do yourself and your motorcycle a favor by using oils specifically formulated for wet clutch use. There are plenty of oils that are excellent for motorcycle applications. The Mobil 1 motorcycle formula you've referred to is a good place to start. There is also Yamalube, Amsoil, and a multitude of other brands that have will serve you well.

Last edited:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
i use the mobil 1 full synth for motorcycles.
i like it. it's not cheap, but you could spend a lot more for synth oil.
shifting for me is better/smoother. besides that, there's no big difference between what i'm using now and yamalube.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I have been using yamalube ever since I bought the bike back in August of '09 and I have been looking into using full synthetic. Does anyone use regular automotive mobil 1 full synth in their bike? Mobil 1 also has a full synth specifically for motorcycles, however it is considerably more expensive and not available in my location. Stick with yamalube? Try mobil 1 full synth? Thanks!

Try "search threads" and check out the number of threads relating to oil choice.

Good tip for the future. ;)

Enjoy!

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using Mobil 1 in my car for decades and have always been very happy with it.

They make a special Mobil 1 formula just for bikes. That's the only synthetic so far I have put in my FZ6 and it performs very well. I think it is called, properly Mobil 1 Racing 4T and it will run you about $9 a quart. Some autoparts stores carry it.

Powerman

Reaction score
Visit site
Not to cause anymore trouble:spank: but the 2009 owners manual specifies 20w-50 for my temperature range. My 2008 manual recommends 20w-40. Has Yamaha learned something?

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site

I too used Yamalube at my first oil change at 600 miles. I have enough Mobil 1 Synthetic waiting for my next two oil changes. I got their motorcycle oil.
I spent two days during the winter researching motorcyle oil and filters. Motorcycle oil has additives for the transmission gears while it doesn't have some of the automotive additives which would cause some slippage in a wet clutch, (which we have).
I have used Mobil 1 Synthetic in everything else I have ever owned for years now and I've never had anything to begin using oil, (even with 207,000 and 245,000 miles respectively on two car engines), but when it comes to my bike, I'm using their motorcycle oil! (I buy mine at Walmart)

Last edited:

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site

You can use the Automotive Mobil 1 but I use the Mobil 1 for sport bikes 4t racing oil but it is for street bikes like ours. It is specifically designed for wet clutch systems, the Auto version doesn't have the special formulation. I would get the matching filter #110.

B Rizzle

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to use Shell Rotella T until I watched as my bike exploded and burned to a crisp on the side of the road.

/s

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok this is really simple and please close this afterwards. The only thing you need to look for in an oil is that it is "JASO MA" rated. This means it is ok for wet clutch systems. If it doesnt have this, dont run it! Friction modifiers are bad for a wet clutch, which is what is in your bike and most motorcycles aside from them wierd ass Ducati's. Other then that, have fun!

Close thread now, please!

-bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.