Mirrors, Mirrors, Mirrors <sigh>

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

Dunno if any of you have the same problem as me but my mirrors are useless at helping me see traffic, all I see are my arms.

I have asked at a few dealerships and they all say the same, try adjusting them. Ok tried that still all I can see is my arms. So I try asking about extensions for the mirrors, they have never heard of them/does not exist.

Have looked at other mirrors but they are soooo pricey, costing over $300 !!

So anyone have a cheaper/better solution for me ?

Thanks

Russ

Edit : Ahhhh crapola just read something from Woldman telling me to PM someone about extensions....

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I feel your pain, I just change my riding possition to see around them. Or I turn them more so they may point out more but to see behind me I do a head check anyway.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How, er, big are you? My mirrors are fine, yes I can see my arms but that is only on the inner edges, the rest of the mirror shows lots behind me. By moving my head a bit I can see what I need to see.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have a problem with my mirrors, other than they are chrome not black.

I did buy some Koso mirrors from Ebay - I didn't like them. I sold them to Humperdinkel and he has them on his XJR1300. He loves them. They were only about AUS$25.00 Maybe try those.

I would love Rizoma, but at around AUS$390 for 2, I think I can wait.....

Wolfman has MCS mirrors. They are quite reasonable. Maybe try them.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Had the same problem. Unless you try to fold your elbows backwards you can't clearly see what's coming. Not too helpful when you're deciding how hard to brake or whether to dodge the obstacle in front so you don't get rear ended by the guy tailgating you.

I had some stainless bar lying around and got my bro to turn them up, but all you need is the correct diameter bar to begin with and put a thread on each end. Mine are 50mm longer, and I can see the curb on my left 20m behind the bike from my right mirror now.

Cost? Whatever the cost of the stainless bar is and a die. Of course it doesn't have to be stainless. You can always get it chromed afterwards.

View attachment 28483

View attachment 28484

View attachment 28485

View attachment 28486

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
What about those bar end mirrors? Has anybody used them or know if they are any good. It seems like you could find some for a good price.

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bar end mirrors - 50/50.

Hubby put them on his Speed 3 - hated them. Took them off.

Other people absolutely swear by them.

You really have to try them to see if you like them.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
I suffer the same dilemma. Only see my shoulders & forearms.

Too frigging broad shouldered.

I feel your pain. I've been looking for a change also, but no such luck. I would venture to say that until a longer stem is produced we may be searching for quite some time.

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 for bar end mirrors! I can see so much more in my bar end mirrors than I ever could with the stockers. It took me a while to find the correct configuration, (orientation, w/ or without bar ends, etc.) but after I did, I would never go back.

The bar end mirrors are convex mirrors so it lets you see more out of the mirror. It takes some getting used to, but I got mine for pretty cheap, and I think they are worth a try for people who don't like the stockers.

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

Thanks for all the replys ... Maybe the way to go would be a group buy for mirrors ? Those Rizoma ones are really nice ;)

I would add a poll for the mirrors but no idea how :/

Russ

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
Something to think about with the bar-end mirrors:

You can't just dart your eyes over to catch a quick glance behind you. You have to actually turn your head to see them. I found this a little uncomfortable in heavy traffic, but I guess you get used to it.

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

Thanks for all the replys ... Maybe the way to go would be a group buy for mirrors ? Those Rizoma ones are really nice ;)

I would add a poll for the mirrors but no idea how :/

Russ
Rizoma is probably one of the few products you have buckleys of getting a discount on a group buy for.

You can try, but I don't think you'll have much luck :(

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I think there is a real trick to adjusting the mirrors to be honest, every time my Dad would take the FZ6 for a ride he would move them and complained they where useless, but with a little time and effort I could make them perfect. (Especially since he totally buggered them up every time he moved them).
I think its just a matter of tinkering with them and realising the scope of movement available to you with adjustments.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1. A lot of my riding mates think that the mirrors need to show you what's behind you. Not the case. They need to show what's in the lane next to you and hopefully up to about 20m back in that lane. I'm talking without having to move yoru arms or head. Then with a quick arm/head movement you should be able to see as far back as you'd ever need.

But a car sitting 10m behind you in your lane will only be seen on a cruiser setup. In fact the last cruiser I rode, I could see a car behind me in the lane left of me, through my right mirror!

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
+1. A lot of my riding mates think that the mirrors need to show you what's behind you. Not the case. They need to show what's in the lane next to you and hopefully up to about 20m back in that lane. I'm talking without having to move yoru arms or head. Then with a quick arm/head movement you should be able to see as far back as you'd ever need.

I agree, a head check is better than trying to rely on that tiny mirror.