measuring chain slack the proper way?

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
well i hate to bring up another thread on chains ive read up and watched videos etc people do it in 2 different ways
which one is the best one ?

do you pull down as far as it will go on the chain and then push up as far as it will go

or

do you just push up to measure slack

N

Naykid

well i hate to bring up another thread on chains ive read up and watched videos etc people do it in 2 different ways

do you pull down as far as it will go on the chain and then push up as far as it will go

or

Neither....and BOTH. :confused: Since ALL motorcycles have a swingarm that pivots in a different arc...OR has a swingarm that is longer or shorter than others.........the UNIVERSAL procedure and exact measurement for checking chain slack is non existant.

If you want to know how to adjust YOUR chain.....then read YOUR bike's service manual.

Some bikes have short swingarms...and have a half inch of free play in the chain. Others have long swingarms and have 2 inches of free play in the chain. Whatever your manufacturer recommends....that's what you use.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

or

I personally push up towards the swing arm, with the bike on the center stand (if so equipped). I expect to see the full amount of 'play' the owner's manual for that bike describes....

If it says there should be one inch of slack, then I expect there to be at least that much from where it sits 'normally' to the point I can't move it any more.

I would expect there to be that same inch if I were to push it down, so I don't generally bother.

The key point is to take more than one measurement, on a routine basis. It's okay to do the simple check every ride, and inspect the whole chain on a less frequent schedule..... like every other time you lubricate the chain.

As chains do not 'stretch' equally, the amount of slack you will find on a chain will vary depending on what links are in the space between the sprockets. It's also important to look for kinks in the chain, or stiff links. Once you start seeing that stuff, it's time to shop for a new chain, so you can have it on hand when the slack measurements get out of spec.

But your question really doesn't ask for a second measurement method, simply a variation on the same way to do it. That method changes with every bike, due to what the other poster was describing.

The most accurate way to assess the health of your chain is to measure the pin to pin length over a set number of links. Once the distance is greater than what the mfg states is acceptable, toss the chain and replace. This measurement is typically in mm, and the span is normally around 11 links.

arcata2

Reaction score
Visit site

or

I don't know what year FZ you have but mine is a 2007. I do it the way my manual says: I push it down as far as I can then push it up as far as I can and the slack between those 2 points should be about 1.5" or ~4cm. I do that with the bike on the center stand and then spin the back wheel to try another point. I then lube the chain and check it again (not what the book says but just my extra check). So that's my 2 cents worth.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
But the spec states the bike should be on the sidestand to check the chain adjustment. The chain is a lot looser when rear wheel is off the ground.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
From the 2004 manual:

chainslack.jpg

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Which makes a mockery of it all, the naked has no centre stand, hence I guess why it says sidestand in my book.

The range of slack is the same !?! as your manual I think. If I lift my bike on my Abba frame the slack is enough to touch the swingarm with the chain !