Mcdonalds selling food for 8 cents

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Or they would be if the latest advertising blunder in UK is to be believed.

Mcdonalds have wrongly come up with a slogan for their £1 ($1.60 USD) deals. The slogan says the items are a "bob" which is actually an old term for a shilling which is 5p ($0.08 USD).

Of course the mighty American Conglomerate are clearly correct that one Bob is one pound, and that us Brits are clearly confused...

McDonald's has responded to complaints with an appeal to the ever-changing English language.

Their spokesperson has posted: "Although a 'bob' was formerly used as a slang term for the shilling until the introduction of decimalisation in 1971, research has shown it is now more commonly used as slang for a pound or money in general.

"As with many words in the English language, the technical meaning of words can change over time and although the word remains in use, what it signifies may develop into something else."

:spank:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive long said nobody butchers the English language like the English. At least the scots give it some flair.

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
I once had a nurse working for me from England. One of my line-staff ladies said one day in a fit of frustration... "I can't understand a word she's saying. I wish she'd learn to speak English". I believe there are sub-sets of society here that truly don't see the connection between the word "English" and "England".

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
It makes me laugh when americans discuss the English language...

I'm just waiting for someone to say, "speak american for god's sake" to a polished English gentleman!! :D

Sure I can't comment on it either, they only got us to learn english less then 200 years ago. :D

As for McD's I'd rather eat dirt on the street then pay for their processed food. We have a great store here in Ireland called Supermacs, started by a guy in Ballinasloe in County Galway many years ago. He could rival McD's any day. The food is far superior, about the same price and the chips are actually made from potato and not a flour substitute. He'd be along the lines of a healthy KFC if you can call any form of fast food "restaurant?!?" healthy!

Last edited:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Here in USA, we call it a "buck." Don't ask me how that ever got started. BTW, I suppose there's even a McDonald's at the South Pole. They are EVERYWHERE!

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here in USA, we call it a "buck." Don't ask me how that ever got started.

I just had to google this..lol

Apparently deer skin (or buck skin) was the unit of currency between native indians and European settlers in the 1700's ..trade was caclulated by the value of a Buck.

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Up here in Canada, we have Loonies (our $1 coin has a Loon on it) and Toonies ($2 coin) Have to say a Buck and a Bob sound better than things costing a Loonie or a Toonie.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Up here in Canada, we have Loonies (our $1 coin has a Loon on it) and Toonies ($2 coin) Have to say a Buck and a Bob sound better than things costing a Loonie or a Toonie.

The term Mcdonalds should have used is either quid or nicker.

Nicker is a really old term for £1

Most people now use the term quid so ten quid is £10

Last edited: