MAP or MAF?

heath_AU

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all.

Have a question for any of you that have some solid tech knowledge about the fz6. Does the 2008 FZ6N have MAP (Mass Air Pressure sensor) or MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor)
Its cool. I am not making any silly mods or anything. Just curious.

cheers

Heath

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'm not convinced it has either, Heath.

There is an air temp sensor in the air box, just before the intakes -- that would give the air temp, which gives an indication of air density. If the system knows how many RPM the motor is spinning at, the temp data, and the computed volume of air would allow you to calculate air density. I haven't seen anything that would indicate a hot wire anemometer to directly measure the mass airflow, and I haven't heard anyone mention a pressure sensor.

the_newt

Reaction score
Visit site
If the bike didn't have either, then I think the only other way to tune it with is Alpha-N which is often used in cars that have been converted from a single throttle body to individual throttle bodies (like every motorcycle made).

But alpha-n doesn't really have a lot of latitude for modifying airflow (like an exhaust or air filter) because every cell has to have a specific fuel pulse-width value based on TPS value and engine speed. If the actual airflow drifts away from the pre-tuned values, engine performance drops due to a non-optimal afr.

Because the FZ6 doesn't turn into a bucking and backfiring monster with a slip on exhaust, I think it's a MAP based system with a sensor somewhere in the airbox. And I'm pretty sure there's not enough space in the intake tract for a hotwire style MAF or a flapper door style one. But it could very well be Alpha-n metered. I'll check my service manual and see what it says.

http://www.bayareamotorsport.com/alphan.html

Last edited:

the_newt

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, there is an air intake pressure sensor in the 2007+ FZ6. Or at least a wiring harness plug for one.
Picture1.png

it's item number two in the inventory list. also, i am awful at putting conveniently sized pictures on forums.

Last edited: