Man up, or siss out?

Should I wuss out and get gas locally?

• Yes. The frustration of getting it nearby is worth the peace of mind.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • No. Man up. Any potential walk will do you good.

Votes: 16 64.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm at 25mi/40km on reserve, and it's 12.4 mi/20km to the nearest convenient gas station (on the road I'm traveling). To get gas nearby would mean an awful 1 mile trek through lights and traffic in the wrong direction, so it would need to be done twice.

I average 48 mpg. WWYD?

Frog

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, go for it and strap a petrol can to the back. If you only get half way there, that is half the amount of walking you would of done anyway if you didn’t give it a crack.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I get a guaranteed 60kms on reserve (half of which at 110kph) - tested many, many times (I work 4 on/4 off, and on my 3rd shift, I can just get home - check my Fuelly sig to see how many times I've put 19+L in my bike!)

It's 55kms home, so if the bike goes into reserve up to 10kms before work, I can still get home the next day - guaranteed!

But, I'll not help push if you don't make it!

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT: I average less than 44mpg too - so you should do it easily!

Last edited:

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Go for it! Just make sure to get a can of soda along the way. If you do runout of gas you can fill the soft drink can full of fuel on the walk back to your bike.:tard:

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Go for it! Just make sure to get a can of soda along the way. If you do runout of gas you can fill the soft drink can full of fuel on the walk back to your bike.:tard:

Maybe a bottle of soda instead ? :D :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think my reserve trip comes on when there is more than the 1.1 us gal reserve mark. This is based on mileage, as I have not run the bike on fumes yet.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Most people say it's not good to run a fuel pump empty because it runs hot and cause wear to the pump parts. And the FZ6 should always be driven.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Most people say it's not good to run a fuel pump empty because it runs hot and cause wear to the pump parts. And the FZ6 should always be driven.

I asked Yamaha that very question, as I always run my tank very low before refueling - and they said it was safe to do.

Cheers,
Rick

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I asked Yamaha that very question, as I always run my tank very low before refueling - and they said it was safe to do.

I don't know if it does or doesn't and running low and empty could make a difference. I'm not even sure asking the people who sell the replacement fuel pumps are the best people to ask.

Now i do know that a empty tank collects more moisture resulting in higher percentage of water in gas and can cause rust in the tank. I also know nobody would recommend running any pump dry.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha. Thanks for all the replies. I rode as gently as I could bare doing 65mph indicated tucked. I thought I felt sputtering as I got within a mile. And the verdict is...

I made it! No. I didn't just make it, I had plenty to spare! Looked in the tank and saw what appeared to be at least 0.25gal/1 liter remaining.

For the record, this tank took 4.759 gallons and went 220.1 miles with 38.1 miles on F trip. So, 46.24 mpg on the tank (mileage has dropped slightly in the cold). I calculate my theoretical max range on this tank to be 232 miles with 50 miles showing on F trip.

I've been filling up at 30 miles on F. Looks like I can stretch that a bit more without sweating. As for rust, I agree that an empty tank can lead to rust, but I commute over 60 miles a day so it doesn't sit like that for long.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Also worthy of note that when I refuel - I fill up on the centre stand, about half-way up the filler tube, so that's an extra 550ml (I tested it) or roughly 10kms worth.

I ride 115kms per day - so a tank only lasts me 3 days! (so fuel isn't sitting for long)

Cheers,
Rick

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
there's a trick i heard about when the bike runs out, or tipping it almost over, and back upright again, and that'll get you another mile or two

personally i always fill up when i hit the reserve light (or earlier!)

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
I've gone 51 miles on my reserve (I get about the same mileage) and filled up with like .2 gallons to spare... I don't ever WANT to do it again... but I will if I have to.