Make your FZ6 key into a SnapOn screwdriver

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
This is a neat project that was introduced to me by a friend. This friend is very is a professional drifter in Japan and does this to all his keys and offered to turn one of my spare keys on my Ninja into a SnapOn screw driver. I sent the key to Japan and a few weeks later I recived this awesome SnapOn screwdriver that my key was attatched to. I love it! I decided to try to do it myself with the FZ6 key, especially since there is no extra security other than the key. If you decide to give it a shot, please be safe. Wear safety glasses, gloves etc. I am not responsible if you hurt yourself. Here are some basic steps:

1.jpg

To the right is the one I had made, the red one to the left is my current project. Snap on part number: SHDP22IRR

2.jpg

Insert the steel end of the screw driver into a vise. Make nice and tight. Use the nail remover and of a hammer and pry that sucker up to remove the screwdriver insert.

3.jpg

The screwdriver has been removed leaving just the hard shell.

4.jpg

There are many ways to do this, I chose what I had around. I used a drill bit and slowly made a bigger opening for the key to be inserted. Take your time, watch your fingers, and make sure the bit does not walk on you and drills a hole too deep on the handle.

- I did not take a photo of cutting the key. Forgot to. Put the key in the vice, wrapped in paper or rubber to protect it. Leave the end where you would loop the key on a keychain and cut it off. I used a dremel with a disc meant for cutting steel. Try to keep it as long as possible. Be careful, wear a respirator, safety glasses, and gloves.

5.jpg

This part is tricky. First make sure that your cut key is the proper size by putting it in your bike. If it's too short you're in trouble and shouldnt proceed. I used JBWeld Plastic Bond. I filled the open area with as much adhesive as I could. Waiting a little bit for the adhesive to become more tacky helped, took about ten minutes. Put a tiny bit on the end of the key and place the key in the screwdriver. Set up a little station where it can rest/cure. Make sure it will stay level. After about 20 minutes it's somewhat hard to the touch and you can make minor level/straightness adjustments.

6.jpg

Here is the end result ;)

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
To each their own, I guess. Just not for me.

Not sure why I'd want a key that big that no longer can go in a Keychain.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
To each their own, I guess. Just not for me.

Not sure why I'd want a key that big that no longer can go in a Keychain.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Fare enough, this doesn't have to be your main key. Just a cool project. I generally do have any keys attached to my car/bike so it works for me. I think it looks cool on the bike vs a cluster of keys that scratches up that area.

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Clever - couldn't live with the constant "Those Yamaha's break down so often they made the ignition key to double as a tool" jokes though :D

Last edited:

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, do they actually break down that much?? First time Yamaha owner (love their Drum sets and Amps btw)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Usually when a bike is being started with a screwdriver, it's being stolen! :rof:

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, do they actually break down that much?? First time Yamaha owner (love their Drum sets and Amps btw)
Nah, it has more to do with stereotypes of the moto community in my country, they mostly boil down to friendly banter;

Ducatis - expected to explode any minute now (they never do)
Yamahas - the FIATs of the bike world, basically tuned up synthesizers
Hondas - bulletproof, immaculate eternal lasting machines

Etc :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

The FZ6 is one of the best bikes ever made. They usually have to be really neglected before they fail. Keep it maintained and you will get lots of love from it.:)

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, my instructors bike had 104k miles on the clock and he said apart from valve shims and usual maintenance nothing major had ever been needed. Was one of the reasons I picked the bike. Was going to go with xj6 but so glad I didn't I would have been bored quite quickly. Mines got 27k on it and I still haven't done the valve check I need to do it soon, have ordered the crank case cover gasket and have all the feeler gauges ready it just daunts the hell out of me that I'm going to balls it up/not put it all back right.
The FZ6 is one of the best bikes ever made. They usually have to be really neglected before they fail. Keep it maintained and you will get lots of love from it.:)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Slightly off topic but this little Snap-On 1/4" drive key chain keeps me from having all my keys hanging from the switch. Works great. And when getting lunch the bike key slips into the forearm vent in my jacket.

attachment.php

20180715_202943.jpg