LPG Conversion? Possible/desirable?

tedrogers

Reaction score
Visit site
Simple question this one:

1. Is it possible to run the FZ6 on LPG (gas) instead of unleaded petrol, without any loss of performance? There are many fuel and road tax saving advantages to doing this.

2. Has anyone done it and can speak from experience on how it went, how much it cost and how their FZ6 now runs?

Thanks.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
1. Yes. Anything is possible, but I doubt you could match the performance of the standard FZ6. Think of all the R&D that's gone into modern high-performance gasoline-burning motorcycle engines. LPG has lower energy density than gasoline. Storage would be a big hurdle. Any minimal cost savings in fuel and taxes would be offset by significant costs of conversion. On top of that, refueling options would be limited while range would decrease dramatically.

2. I doubt it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
1. Yes. Anything is possible, but I doubt you could match the performance of the standard FZ6. Think of all the R&D that's gone into modern high-performance gasoline-burning motorcycle engines. LPG has lower energy density than gasoline. Storage would be a big hurdle. Any minimal cost savings in fuel and taxes would be offset by significant costs of conversion. On top of that, refueling options would be limited while range would decrease dramatically.

2. I doubt it.

3. 12.2:1 C/R and the big @ss tank on a trailer - Nadda! You need new pistons, junk the ECM, Throttle bodies, injectors, new pistons. . .

4. Forget it!

tedrogers

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay chaps.....thanks for all that. I'll give it a huge miss, although fuel in the UK is 140p compared to 76p for LPG. Would be a good idea on a car I expect!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the others.

Nothing is impossible, but this bike was not built to run on LPG. Could stuff your bike up completely.

It's the same with cars. Converting them to LPG - I would NEVER do. I know a lot of people don't have a problem with this, but I wouldn't do it.

Buying a car that is FACTORY LPG built - +1. That's a different story.