Lowering my FZ6

p1nk

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, i'm pretty new here and i've previously owned a Honda Hornet which my partner was able to lower for me by bringing the front forks down around 1inch, however he has bought me a 2005 fz6 for chrimbo and its massive for me!, i'm only 5'3 and on my tip toes with new rock boots on, which are basically platform boots. so what we're wanting to know is, can we lower the 05 fz6 with an R1 shock?

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

p1nk

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay thanks, now when you say "too soft" i'm not a heavy girl so would it matter on my weight which is around 140lbs

Last edited:

humvee 998

Reaction score
Visit site
Keep on searching, I am doing my research also, if I found something good surely I will be back in this thread....

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi & :welcome: to the forum......

I am also 5'3" & my husband dinked with the pre-load setting and I got about a 1/2" out of it. Also shaving the seat will help. If you do a search on the forum, you will find a "how to" guide. :cheer:
Just a couple other things to try......good luck & keep us posted

Brenda

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
[SIZE=\"3\"][COLOR=\"Magenta\"][FONT=\"Microsoft Sans Serif\"]Okay thanks, now when you say \"too soft\" i'm not a heavy girl so would it matter on my weight which is around 140lbs [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

I think the person that tried meant the ride was to soft ,wallowing in corners,that sort of thing.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the site,
Yamaha actually sell a lowering kit for the Fazer.

Hi guys, I'm pretty new here and I've previously owned a Honda Hornet which my partner was able to lower for me by bringing the front forks down around 1inch, however he has bought me a 2005 fz6 for chrimbo and its massive for me!, I'm only 5'3 and on my tip toes with new rock boots on, which are basically platform boots. so what we're wanting to know is, can we lower the 05 fz6 with an R1 shock?

Welcome to the site,
Yamaha actually sell a lowering kit for the Fazer. [edit] Sorry Pink I have just checked with Yamaha and they don't make a lowering kit.
My local Yamaha dealer do lower the FZ6. The kit comes from a company called FI international. It is very expensive and they would need to check shipping.

http://www.fiinternational.com/ShowDetails.asp?name=FZ6+/+Fazer&type=Yamaha

They would need a VIN number to check compatibility.

Nelly

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi P1nk, welcome. :welcome:

It's a little odd to start off with a sales pitch but I have what you need. :D

You need this shock, it will be perfect for you and will lower your bike one inch in the rear and give you a top quality shock. At your weight the spring is perfect for you. A friend of mine had this one his wife's FZ6. Then once you do that all you need to do is side your fork up in the triple clamp about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and you are good to go.

If you are interested please PM me with your email and I'll put you in touch with my friend.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-sale/11114-works-performance-shock-lowered.html

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi P1nk, welcome. :welcome:

It's a little odd to start off with a sales pitch but I have what you need. :D

You need this shock, it will be perfect for you and will lower your bike one inch in the rear and give you a top quality shock. At your weight the spring is perfect for you. A friend of mine had this one his wife's FZ6. Then once you do that all you need to do is side your fork up in the triple clamp about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and you are good to go.

If you are interested please PM me with your email and I'll put you in touch with my friend.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-sale/11114-works-performance-shock-lowered.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1nk
Hi guys, I'm pretty new here and I've previously owned a Honda Hornet which my partner was able to lower for me by bringing the front forks down around 1inch, however he has bought me a 2005 fz6 for chrimbo and its massive for me!, I'm only 5'3 and on my tip toes with new rock boots on, which are basically platform boots. so what we're wanting to know is, can we lower the 05 fz6 with an R1 shock?

I reckon Pete's option is the best one.

Nelly

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
You can lower the rear of the bike with an R6 shock. The R1 shock won't lower the bike unless your sag is way out of wack.

EDIT - the R1/R6 shocks will require some grinding of the subframe....if you've got the budget for it, go with the shock hellgate is selling.

Last edited:

p1nk

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys for all your comments, I may have told a little lie about my weight! i'm currently 158lbs but on a diet, so my wieght by the time i get the bike lowered will be 140lbs as the weather here is atrocious so i've got plenty of time haha, i will either purchase that mod shock, or currently my partner has been told of a company here that may be able to modify it for me, so shock is being removed today and fingers crossed. I will certainly keep you posted with the outcome. :D

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Yamaha Lowered seat which has made a massive difference to me.

There are also links on here on how to shape your own seat to make it lower.

Bagster makes lower seats for the FZ6 and are really nice.

Steve

Mangus

Reaction score
Visit site
There's this lowering spring set from Hyperpro:
Hyper Pro USA - Catalog

I've purchased my set, but have not yet installed them. I plan to this weekend.

I have absolutely no affiliation w/ the company or product, and I have no opinion of it (as stated, I haven't yet installed them). Just throwing it out there for reference.

I'll let you know how they work and feel soon.

PS - I'm 5'6, 28.5" inseam, measured correctly. On the balls of my feet at stock height, level.

gt89stang393

Reaction score
Visit site
Stupid question, but what does the lowering do to the way the suspension works during acceleration? Anyone notice any difference at all from a stop?

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I second Steve's copmment. The lowered seat (3cm lower) did make a difference. I think what will make the most difference is just riding the bike. You will get used to the fact it is bigger. I came from a Ninja 500 and this bike felt huge in comparison (I am 5'8" with 30" inseam). I can flat foot both feet with the lower seat. It is not available in the US, but can be found in Europe. Don't know about Australia.
Dani