Low beam went out - need some help, please

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update: working with fazed_ya on this (he's been super helpful via phone and txt messaging). Have not figured it out just yet, but he came up with an idea to switch leads. I can now run low beam on both bulbs in high beam setting.. of course they go completely out when I flip back to low setting.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Latest from fazed_ya: "The switch is carrying the voltage, but not the load. The switch is the problem". So he is suggesting the the low/high switch is the culprit. Any way to test it, without buying new switch first?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Next question (sorry to be a such a PITA). Do I have to buy the whole assembly or can I just find the internal switch somewhere? (part #11)

20038_handleswitchlever.gif

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Next question (sorry to be a such a PITA). Do I have to buy the whole assembly or can I just find the internal switch somewhere? (part #11)

20038_handleswitchlever.gif

As far as i know, you cannot buy the switch separate from the housing as the switch is a soldered connection in the housing.

If its any help; I have a working switch that I pulled from my 07' that I could let go for a low sum (It was removed to allow space for the hydraulic clutch master cylinder). Save you from spending upwards of $90 on a new one.

On another note; have you taken a look at the switch internals? Perhaps its just needs a good cleaning at the switch contacts. or perhaps a solder bit has broken loose.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As far as i know, you cannot buy the switch separate from the housing as the switch is a soldered connection in the housing.

If its any help; I have a working switch that I pulled from my 07' that I could let go for a low sum (It was removed to allow space for the hydraulic clutch master cylinder). Save you from spending upwards of $90 on a new one.

On another note; have you taken a look at the switch internals? Perhaps its just needs a good cleaning at the switch contacts. or perhaps a solder bit has broken loose.

Awesome, skooter! Yeah.. my next step is to pull the housing apart and look at the switch. I'll see what I can do in terms of cleaning it and if it still doesn't work I want to see if I can jump over the switch and test both low and high to really make sure the switch is the culprit.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK.. you all ready for this??? ... it's NOT the switch!! (huge thanks to fazed_ya for helping me trace it to that point).

Thinking it WAS the switch, I completely took the switch apart to expose the 3 wires. Tested it by jumping the wires directly (replicating how the switch works) and results were the same.. no low, only high. That pretty much confirmed what Motogiro said to begin with!!! ( :bow: I will always listen to your advice before I try anything else, Cliff! :bow: ) it HAD to be the low beam wire (BD43 mod).
I completely forgot that when I initially did that mod my bike still had fairing and I added a bullet connector to the wire to make fairing removal easier!
Pulled up the tank and fished out the wire and guess what.. bullet connector was messed up!! Yanked the thing off and twisted the broken wire together to test (just electrical tape for now, but will definitely solder it before I put it back together) and sure enough.. I'VE GOT LOW AND HIGH BEAM BACK!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Now I just hope I can put the switch back together.. that thing is far from simple, but I'm much better at mechanical than electric stuff. I think I can do it!!

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you finally figured it out Eric. I kind of thought it was going to be something simple like this, but didn't want to chime in given how much help you were already getting.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff, the volt man, reigns champion again :rolleyes:

Glad you got it figured out... bike with no low beams isn't any fun :(