Low Beam on Both Headlights

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I just did the mod that MOTOGIRO makes. only 800 miles with it so far but it works beautifully. i can turn right in the dark now.

he sends very detailed instructions with the relay. im anal about doing stuff to my bike and it still only took about an hour.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
The previous owner of my bike did it a kinda crude way, but it functions the same as the bd43 mod.

The bd43 mod uses the green wire which runs from the high/lowbeam switch, back to the connector. bd43's cable plugs into the mating connector where the green wire terminates, and runs back up to the unused space on the bulb socket.

The previous owner of my bike just spliced a wire into the green wire near the switch, and ran it right to the unused socket, with a couple zip ties to tie it to existing wire looms. It functions the same way, shuts off low beam when high beam is activated, but not as neat as the bd43 cable, but cheaper. I'll take some pictures tonight if I remember.

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I also installed the Motogiro headlight mod and it is a comfortable feeling seeing both low beams on. I believe that drivers approaching from the side are less likely to pull out in front of you with additional light on. Initially I drove with the high beam on, but I would get a hand gesture from the county po po to shut it down. This is still the best mod for the $. :rockon:

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my mine was done by the previous owner. Couple feet of black wire spliced into the green wire, ran down the left fork tube, then around the front cowling and crimped to a terminal stuck into the headlight socket. Like I said, it's pretty crude, but works well enough that I haven't bothered to clean it up yet.

9407553369_5940e95aab_o.jpg

9407553303_a88626c582_o.jpg

9407553237_26e5ede1a8_o.jpg

9407553143_a47a8f6955_o.jpg

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
Also what connectors to use or just solder?

I made the wires needed for the mod the other day. They use a flag terminal for the H4 bulb connector, and 0.090" terminals for the other connectors.

I have some extra terminals, so if you want me to make you the wires for this mod send me a PM.
View attachment 49495

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my mine was done by the previous owner. Couple feet of black wire spliced into the green wire, ran down the left fork tube, then around the front cowling and crimped to a terminal stuck into the headlight socket. Like I said, it's pretty crude, but works well enough that I haven't bothered to clean it up yet.

9407553303_a88626c582_o.jpg

Matt,
The crimp in this picture could cause you grief as it's not making a good contact with the wire (crimp is distorted) and may over heat or even melt the wire, the flag, or the connector housing. You might want want to find another connector and redo that connection.

Also, a good connection should be able to survive a mild pull test. If it doesn't, it can fail and worst case cause a fire. I know its not likely here but I'd rather not take any chances myself.

sloring

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Matt,
The crimp in this picture could cause you grief as it's not making a good contact with the wire (crimp is distorted) and may over heat or even melt the wire, the flag, or the connector housing. You might want want to find another connector and redo that connection.

Also, a good connection should be able to survive a mild pull test. If it doesn't, it can fail and worst case cause a fire. I know its not likely here but I'd rather not take any chances myself.

Sorry but I don't think you're qualified to make that statement. How is not having a good contact cause over-heating and even melt the wire??? The only way to overheat the wire is to have more current in the wire. Having a bad contact doesn't do that! Please don't make false statements like that and scared everybody into not making this simple mod. You don't need to buy any expensive kit from bd43 or motogiro. This mod is simple DIY.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry but I don't think you're qualified to make that statement. How is not having a good contact cause over-heating and even melt the wire??? The only way to overheat the wire is to have more current in the wire. Having a bad contact doesn't do that! Please don't make false statements like that and scared everybody into not making this simple mod. You don't need to buy any expensive kit from bd43 or motogiro. This mod is simple DIY.

Simple math and the very reason stove top electric burners and incandescent lamps work - RESISTANCE! Where there is resistance, there is heat IF enough current is applied. Lets not make this personal, but this is incorrect, "The only way to overheat the wire is to have more current in the wire."

A bad connection, poor crimp, poor fitting spade, all can have resistance. On some circuits it doesn't matter much, on lamps, motors, heating elements, this resistance gets HOT and causes damage when higher amounts of current pass through. Example: 55 Watts is clearly enough current to cause damage, melting plastic and burning wires...

Besides, I never said there was anything wrong with the mod, I said "the connection looks questionable and may cause issues." Just as if I saw you on the street with a nail in your tire. I'd tell you so you were informed.

Looks like one of these moments: :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: :don'tknow: