Loving the FZ6!

m.donovan

Reaction score
Visit site
So about a month ago, I bought my first bike, a 2006 yamaha fz6. I am absolutely loving it! Everything has gotten much smoother, shifting, slowing, stopping, cornering, etc. and every ride I can very clearly see improvement in different aspects. The only thing that still gives me problems is starting from a stop on a hill. I live in the country which means there are hills everywhere! But it also means there arent many cars so if I stall a few times before I get it right, there isn't a line of cars around getting annoyed. I know how to do it, I just seem to either let out the clutch too soon or for some odd reason, come off the throttle when I start moving. I don't stall and do it successfully about 80% of the time so I'm getting there. I've learned to blip the throttle when downshifting which takes away the tremendous engine breaking that, when I wasn't expecting it, gave me a little scare haha. But yea I'm absolutely loving it, can't wipe the smile off my face if I tried every time I ride. Just want the weather to be nicer! The last ride I took I just wanted to see what it felt like in the power band so, turning out of my street there is a long straight. I brought it up to about 11k rpms before shifting to second (usually shift around 5-6k) and wow! Seriously this bike is a beast! I know I was only in first but, gimme a break lol I just wanted to see! I looooove the way it's so peaceful and quite shifting in the lower gears but crank it up a bit and man oh man! I dunno, I'm very very happy with it. Anyway, I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing and learning and practicing! The great thing is, the only way to practice is to ride more! :)

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, glad you're enjoying the bike. It is a 'beast' as you call it. Very fun to ride. When you start on a hill, try keeping your rear brake covered until you feel the bike begin to overpower the braking force. When this begins to happen, let off the rear brake and you'll be able to start without rolling back/stalling. It takes a bit of practice, but is invaluable in hilly terrain, or when you're riding with a pillion.

Keep practicing. You'll find out what works best for you for a tonne of different skill sets. Also, check out some riding literature. There are all kinds of good resources/authors...

Have fun and keep the rubber side down! :thumbup:

m.donovan

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! Yeah that's how I'm doing the hill starts, using the rear brake to hold me in place, thanks for the tip though! It's usually only a problem when my mind isn't in the right place, kinda hard to put it into words but if I'm thinking too hard about what to do, almost always I just get overwhelmed with thoughts and cant do it. Just taking a split second to take a deep breath and calm myself works every time. And yea I've been reading non-stop to get any and all tips and advice I can haha. I will post pictures later, I have to take some anyway for the bank I got the loan through! Thank you for the welcome!

keef

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you like your bike! Yeah, I smile everytime I go for a ride!
Beats my Burgman and my old Honda Intercpetor any day!

:welcome:

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 has a high revving engine, so don't be afraid to rev it up when you pull away. On the flip side, the front end is very light, so be careful the front wheel doesn't lift. It's all about practice and time behind the bars.

FZ6-ZN - Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk...

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
My neighbor (who raced drag bikes at an international level and has owned dozens of bikes) suggested that on a hill, I should leave both feet on the ground, hold front brake, bring up the revs a little, then let the clutch out to friction. As you hold the throttle with your palm, let out the front brake. Having both feet on the ground gives you the stability to concentrate on the clutch and throttle in all of their entirety. Sounds complicated, but is much easier.

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
The only thing that still gives me problems is starting from a stop on a hill.

I also live in a pretty hilly region i found that putting slight pressure on the rear brake and letting the clutch out till I feel her start to idle down then roll on throttle and releasing the brake and clutch (slowly) at the same time gets the job done. Except one really embarrassing 2up moment.....but that's another story :BLAA:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my bike for over 4 years now and I still get a big grin on my face every time I ride it, even on my daily commute! :BLAA:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: This is a great forum and you have purchased a fantastic motorcycle. That being said please ride safe and enjoy your new toy. :thumbup: