love it. want one.

hankhill11

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, I have been looking this bike over for a while now, and have been lucky enough to sit on a couple. I started this search because i found an FZ1 and hadn't seen one before, and to my surprise , was very comfortable sitting on it!

So, right now i have a ninja 500, which if you didnt' know, is more of a standard position sport bike, similar to the fz6. Naturally since everyone gets use to power and speed, some of us crave more. My goal is a similar bike, comfortable, able to ride many hours, and daily commute. The ex500 fits this bill amazingly well.

My questions is a comparison of all three (ex500/fz6/fz1).

I know on my bike, it gets slightly buzzy at highway speeds, 75ish. in 6th i'm at 5,000 going 60 and on from there..what are these bikes like on the highway compared to each other?

Is the power difference between the 1 and the 6 an insane leap? going from a 60hp bike, to a 100-150 hp is an interesting concept.

power isn't everything - I've read the fz6 is tame through 8k, then goes wild, whats the fz1 like? which is better for sub 50mph around town riding?

i know these are somewhat noob questions but its hard to find a good comparison.

I have been riding for close to 10 years, on my ninja for about 5 to 6 years, i use it as a commuter, and have done a few longer trips. I took the msf course who knows when..

thanks for any tips or info in advance!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never ridden a 500 but used to have a Ninja 250r. The FZ6 is a world apart from the 250.

The FZ6 will run 5,900 rpms in 6th gear at 70 mph on the speedometer...You have to keep the revs above 4,000 to go anywhere and above 6,000 to go anywhere with any kind of haste.

Personally I think the FZ6 is a great bike around town, very easy to ride slow...just learn to use the rear brake to steady the chain when on/off throttle at low speed or when making right angle turns through intersections.

Also the FZ6 gets 40-55 mpg...I usually average 48mpg commuting.

the FZ1 has a slightly more sporty stance and riding position...it is not as comfortable for long trips as the FZ6 from an ergos standpoint. That said the extra power does help on the highway and it feels smoother at speeds above 70 mph as a result.
You are going to loose 5-10 mpg for an extra 40-50 hp that you can't use on a commute.

Check insurance quotes. In my state anything larger than 600 cc gets an automatic "R" insurance rate. My quote on the FZ1 was DOUBLE what I'm paying on my FZ6...

This is why I chose and love my FZ6. :D

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Hank I know your motor well - I spent a few years on a Vulcan 500 with the same guy down there between the frame rails. At 75 your bike is making a meaty, throaty, tenor-pitched exhaust note, and the vibes are tolerable but there. The fz6 makes a slightly higher-pitched roar at that speed, and the vibes are in the "random orbit sander" frequency but smaller. I found I could ride the vulcan 14 hours and not have numb hands, but I get numb on the fizzer after about 90 minutes. I have to work a lot harder on this bike to fight hand fatigue. I have put foam covers and thicker grips on, which helped a little. But this bike doesn't stay serenely still at highway speeds like a big bike - I've ridden harleys, the new concourse 14, newer triumph bonnevilles, and all were smoother at the bars at 80mph. Some guys here say they have no problem with it, though, so take this with a grain of salt. I could do all day long trips on the vulcan, but the vibes on my beloved fizzer begin to get annoying after an hour and a half.

Other than that I have no complaints. I drive an hour each way to work every day on it, and I have no discomfort. The bike is perfectly happy doing 80-something all day on the interstate, and yet it's light and maneuverable in town. It has (literally) everything else going for it.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
A few years ago I was given a crazy @ss modified EX500. Had some big carbs, cams, timing, gears, clutch and a bunch of ninja 600 parts and a super loud exhaust. The thing would do 0 to 60 like a liter bike and wheelie like a shriners go cart. But it buzzed like a lawnmower and over 80 mph everything would vibrate so bad the mirrors were blurry. Even with all the mods the FZ6 is better at everything except maybe the wheelies.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Travis!

Well, I owned the '05 and '08 FZ6 bikes. I really enjoyed them a lot! Then I traded up to the 2009 FZ1. Wow! What a difference! The riding position is a bit more aggressive but can be changed if needed for little money. The adjustable suspension is one thing I wished for on the FZ6 but never had and the FZ1 does come with stock. The FZ1 is much better suited for hauling larger payload and much better equipped for extra electrical add-ons.

My only complaint for the FZ1 is the small tank vs. mpg. 130 miles is the average stop for a tank of fuel where the FZ1 was 210+ miles between fill-ups.

All around, the FZ1 can be a pretty tame beast if you behave with the throttle, but if you want to wake her up, just dig in with your heals, hold on tight and twist the wrist and you're in for the ride of your life!

Over all, I think the FZ1 is just a more refined version of the FZ6... offering more of all the same capabilities. ;)

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
I can't speak to the feel or the ergos of the FZ1 because I have never ridden one. However, here is some info that I looked up a while ago for another thread on performance numbers:

Sources: http://www.angelfire.com/ia/z/FZ1review.htm; http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ro...on/index.html; Car News and reviews, videos, wallpapers, pictures, free games and more. - Top Speed Motorcycle Consumer News - MCNews.com - The most complete, most detailed and most accurate information about every aspect of motorcycling. Yamaha Sport Home - Motorcycles, Sport ATVs, Snowmobiles.

FZ1 Performance:....................FZ6 Performance
Cost: $9790............................................. .$7290
Measured top speed: 154 mph.......................130 mph.
Quarter mile: 10.55 sec. @130...................11.30 sec. @ 119.42
0-60mph: 3.01 sec....................................3.44 sec.
0-100mph: 6.48sec..................................7.87 sec.
60-0 mph: 111.1 ft..................................116.5 ft
Redline: 11,500 rpm.................................14,000 rpm
Power to weight ratio: 1 to 4.10..................1 to 5.36
Horsepower at the crank: 141 at 9,500 rpm...98 @ 12,000
Peak Torque: 78 ft-lbs at 7500 rpm..............46.53 ft-lbs @ 10,000 rpm (Thanks Mexi-can't)
Fuel mileage: 35.0 mpg................................40.0 mpg
Wet Weight: 485 lbs....................................459 lbs

hese numbers are averages, they may vary from bike to bike, yes some stock FZ6's go faster than 130 mph, and yes, I get better mileage than 40 mpg, I'm sure FZ1inNH gets better than 35 mpg on his FZ1.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never ridden an FZ1, but here is a recent thread by a member comparing them and the FZ8. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/37999-test-rode-fz8-fz1-impressions-vs-fz6.html

Also, our member FZ1inNH used to be FZ6inNH, so hopefully he will chime in here.

Yep, that was my post about comparing the FZ1 and FZ8 in 20 mile test rides and then compared with my FZ6. I traded the FZ6 for a new FZ1 the following week, and it's been just a month since I traded so I'll give my further impressions. When on the road there isn't a huge difference between the 6 and the 1 handling wise, both have similar comfy seating positions with a bit more room to spread out on the FZ1 and the FZ1's suspension is a bit more sophisticated with more adjustability, but both have a similar, safe feel. Cracking the throttle open on the FZ1 shoots you forward quickly whereas the FZ6 would need a downshift or two, or it would just take a bit longer to gain speed. I find the FZ1 much easier to ride fast in similar conditions due to the extra power and a bit more planted feel of the chassis and tires. Youll be in the 75-80 mph range much more quickly on the FZ1. Around town I much prefer the slightly heavier FZ1 for the simple reason you don't have to spin the engine as much, it is easier to control. When starting you just have to slowly let out the clutch and give it a bit of gas to get going smartly where the FZ6 takes a deft hand/throttle coordination.

Both are great 'standard' style bikes and are somewhat interchangeable. But bottom line I find I come back from a ride with a bigger smile on my face with the FZ1 primarily because of the extra power on tap across the range. If you have some experience under your belt you would have no problem stepping up to an FZ6 or FZ1. See if you can take both bikes for a test spen to help make up your mind. Depending on your age also check on the insurance aspect. My insurance went from $98/yr to $116/yr, but I'm an 'old' guy.

hankhill11

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a reply typed last night, but i guess it didn't send. anyway, thanks for all the input.

My insurance doubles (100 to 200) going from minimum on the ex500 to the fZ6.

its a very tough choice between the 1 and the 6.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you take a test ride? That might help you decide. I sat on the FZ1 and it felt heavy. Sat on the FZ6 and it felt right. Also sat on a 1000 RR and 600 RR. The 1000 RR felt good and the 600 RR felt nimble. But the RR body position was not very comfortable. Too hunched over.

Didn't test ride the FZ1 because I wasn't really interested. In hindsight, I should have! The FZ6 rode nice. Ended up buying a used one.

Do check your insurance as others have stated. You might get an eye opener depending on your age.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
If you're doing a lot of highway miles, don't get an early model FZ6. My 2004 generates so much flippin' wind noise, it's unbelievable. I've had the stock windscreen, the tall yamaha windscreen and now the puig double bubble and they all suck... There's some sort of design issue with the fairing which causes turbulent air to be sent at my helmet. Even with ear plugs, it's a lot of noise.

Someday I'll try modding my factory windscreen with NACA style "relief" vents, but I haven't done it yet.

Besides the wind noise and the clunky transmission, I love my FZ6.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're doing a lot of highway miles, don't get an early model FZ6. My 2004 generates so much flippin' wind noise, it's unbelievable. I've had the stock windscreen, the tall yamaha windscreen and now the puig double bubble and they all suck... There's some sort of design issue with the fairing which causes turbulent air to be sent at my helmet. Even with ear plugs, it's a lot of noise.

Someday I'll try modding my factory windscreen with NACA style "relief" vents, but I haven't done it yet.

Besides the wind noise and the clunky transmission, I love my FZ6.

Sounds like you wanna take off that fairing. I was skeptical about the no fairing mod then i rode wavexs streetfighter one day and did my conversion. Ive been really happy with it for over 2 years now. Just my 2 cents

hankhill11

Reaction score
Visit site
i just keep waffling back and forth. Now i'm leaning to the fz1 a little more. I think the extra torque and more power on demand is what draws me to it. insurance between the fz1 and 6 wasn't different enough to mention when i got my quotes. (who would have thought)..

I still have to find some to test drive and try to compare real world. the height is of course an issue for me.. i guess i have stubby little legs. i REALLY dont feel that comfortable unless i can flatfoot on both sides at the same time. It just helps on uneven ground when hauling it around forwards or backwards.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
I still have to find some to test drive and try to compare real world. the height is of course an issue for me.. i guess i have stubby little legs. i REALLY dont feel that comfortable unless i can flatfoot on both sides at the same time. It just helps on uneven ground when hauling it around forwards or backwards.

No doubt about it, the FZ1 sits higher. I have a 30" inseam and cannot flatfoot on both sides at the same time, and the FZ1 carries a bit more weight up top which makes it seem heavier. It's no big deal to me but I would definitely try to test ride one to check how comfortable you are with the seat height. The FZ6 was more comfortable in this regard.