Looking for a 9mm...thoughts?

cranduit

Reaction score
Visit site
I have currently a Walther P99 AS and M&P9. I've had an XD and I hated it. My friend loves his and so do lots of people so opinions vary. My M&P is ok, from what I hear it needs some upgrades (Apex DCAEK which smoothes the trigger out) and I have only my P99 to comare it, which has what a lot of people consider to be the finest striker fired trigger out there. I've shot plenty of Glock 19s and 17s to know I like my P99 more, but I still want to pick one up (I like a few thousand rounds to be the real comparison, 100-200 was never enough for me).

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
.02...im in love with the Px4...been hunting for one for a while....that or the 92 FS.....but Im stickin with my hunting rifles, Marietta isnt sketchy enough for carrying all the time lol

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the real question is: Do you want to carry it or do you just want home defense with some range days? I can vouch for the XDm in all sizes and calibers. I have a ton of friends that have them. I carried a Beretta M9 when I was in the Marines and I like it a lot, very simple to use and maintain but I was partial to Sig (My current carry: P229 SAS, in 40). HK's are nice but I have no idea why they changed their safety/decoker (<censor fail) to some casted nylon plastic material which feels weak as hell. But its what ever is comfortable to YOU!

Also, check out gunbroker.com for some decent prices.

Im also quite partial to Sig so my choice is the basic polymer SP2022 its a poly frame with steel rails and i can shoot it all day comfortably and its super smooth and accurate. and the FS92 has two versions and im not a super gun nut so somebody else will have to help out on this but my dad had one version of the FS92 that sucked majorly and everybody says "yeah that version (whichever it was) was kinda crappy and the other is better. the other gun i like is the Walther PPS which is smooth and thin so its a great carry gun. if you're just looking for a good cheap 9 Taurus makes a pretty decent weapon too.

Last edited:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
To be completely honest I would love to carry, but I'm pretty lazy and absolutely despise filling out paperwork, plus i don't know exactly how it all works but I don't like the idea of the government being able to keep tabs on me. But not knowing how it works I might just be talking out of my a$$ saying that. So the gun would be primarily for target shooting/range days and home defense if necessary, but in the event that some unlucky person breaks into my home while I'm sleeping, I keep my very first gun that i got for my 14th birthday tucked away within arms reach of my bed. It's a 20ga 870 express, the youth model so it's a pretty light weight and short gun. I keep it loaded with slug, buckshoot, slug, buckshoot, buckshoot with the chamber open. And if that doesn't work then I also keep my ruger super redhawk .44 in the top drawer of my armwour- sp?

i just went ocd because it was bugging me but (Arm-Wahr) = armoire

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
I've owned a Springfield xd9 subcompact for quite a few years now -- absolutely love it. Went and looked at the XD 9 5.25 competition series today, thinking about adding something full-size.

I put a Viridian Green laser on it last week, which is a pretty incredible add on if I do say so myself.

Good luck w/ the purchase -- let us all know what you end up getting!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Im also quite partial to Sig so my choice is the basic polymer SP2022 its a poly frame with steel rails and i can shoot it all day comfortably and its super smooth and accurate. and the FS92 has two versions and im not a super gun nut so somebody else will have to help out on this but my dad had one version of the FS92 that sucked majorly and everybody says "yeah that version (whichever it was) was kinda crappy and the other is better. the other gun i like is the Walther PPS which is smooth and thin so its a great carry gun. if you're just looking for a good cheap 9 Taurus makes a pretty decent weapon too.

Ya Taurus does make some decent guns but the majority of what they make for what I'm wanting are clones and knockoffs, which I've never been a fan of. The only way I would buy a knockoff is I the original was out of my price range like say a original 1911, everyone makes one so that might not be a good example but basically if I could and can buy the original then when not. Just my opinion on Taurus for what I'm looking for

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Eh not really knockoffs. The PT92 which is a carbon copy of the Berretta FS92 is actaully built with Berretta Machinery. Berretta used to have a plant in Brazil until the Brazilian govt. nationalized it then it became Taurus. They kept building the FS92 as the PT92 under the name Taurus along with a lot of other Barretta designs since the plant and equipment were there already anyway.

So they aren't knock offs per se they are built with Berretta Machinery and whatnot just under a different name.

I've got one of their PT1911ARs and put probably 1500 rounds though it without any problems or issues.

cable

Reaction score
Visit site
I own a number of polymer framed pistols (5 or 6 currently). I can say without hesitation that I think the Springfield XD is best bang for the buck. It's reliable, accurate, has great ergos and Springfield customer service is second to none. That being said, before you take the plunge I would make a trip to a range that allows you to rent guns and try several out to find out which you shoot the best and what is most comfortable to you. Also if you're not going to be carrying concealed you might want to check out the tactical model which has a 5" barrel. The extra sight radius makes it a bit more forgiving to shoot.

Last edited:

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
That means you did it right! Getting a refund essentially means you gave the government an interest free loan for the year....

But back to 9mm's -- I ended up ordering the 5.25 competition model today. I get it on Monday -- I'll let you know what I think after I get to the range with it (probably next Saturday).

dcsamps

Reaction score
Visit site
Springfield XD Tactical (5" barrel) - great range gun, or the Springfield XDm (4.5" barrel). Replaced all of my glocks (except one; G22 - 2nd Gen) with Springfield XDs.

The Springfields just offer so many more features compared to the Glock.

Just a heads up, there have been reported FTF issues with the 3rd/4th Gen RTF Glocks. I know because I had one, several failure to feed issues, and I personally know of two other individuals that experienced the same problems - and we aren't amatuers.

And of course, the Beretta 92 is a classic. Hard not to atleast give it a look.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya I put a little more in then I should because I love getting that nice refund!!! Just for those me purchases, how much is the 5.25 model I've been looking real hard between the xdm I think 4.5 and the cz 75 sp01 phantom both about ~$550

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on where you order it from -- you can buy online from budsgunshop.com for about $675 and then pay your local dealer the FFL fee (usually about $40 bucks).

Or you can take the route I did -- I just got the dealer to match the online price + FFL fee so I'm at about $725. But considering you're in Georgia that should definitely be cheaper than up here in Northern VA. I think you could swing $650 - $675 at a local shop down there.

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
I own a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact and love it. It has a floating barrel to really help with recoil and it looks sweet and its fun to shoot.

Floating barrel? It does have a rotating barrel for locking purposes it doesn't lock up like a "regular" pistol based on one of Browning's designs.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Consider yourself lucky. In NY (state, NYC is even worse), you HAVE to have a CCW permit in order to purchase a hand gun. Period. Most stores won't even look at you unless you can show your permit. Talk about making it hard to shop around when you can't even touch the dang things.

I'm currently working through the paperwork to get my CCW permit application filed. It takes (in the county that I live):

1) 4 character references that live in the same county you do, and have known you for at least 3 years, and can't be related. These references WILL be contacted and questioned by the county police department, as well as contacting your spouse or significant other that you may live with.
2) Release of all mental health records
3) Standard finger prints and passport photos
4) $130 ($135 if you live IN the city of Rochester)
5) 6-8 months to process, at minimum.
6) Even after all this is done, there's no guarantee you'll get it.

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup it's a may issue state they can just decide they don't like the way you look and deny the permit. Where as most southern states are Shall issue I.E. as long as you aren't disqualified though mental or criminal background checks they HAVE to issue you the permit.

MiFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the SP-01 Tactical in .40 and I no longer desire any other gun. I assume it would be just as great in 9mm.