Lookin for a Zumo 550???

githianki

Reaction score
Visit site
I scored one at Best Buy last night for $500 out the door with "Replacment plan". Girl there said they are not going to be carrying them instore anymore, only on the website. So all the stores are clearing them out. Had to take a 1hr drive to pick it up...but at half price of most places. THought it was well worth it. Just thought I would pass it along.

abner

Reaction score
Visit site
I opted for a Garmin Streetpilot c550. I couldn't justify paying $900 for the Zumo when the Streetpilot came with the exact same options except for being water proof. I paid $300 for my Streetpilot.

jrgimaging

Reaction score
Visit site
best buy has been 'clearing them out' for almost a month now

pretty sure it has more to do with the fact that a $900+ gps doesnt generally sell well, let alone one that's marketed towards riders

i love mine. it really is the best thing since sliced bread. i have tunes, directions and can create routes on my comp or import them to explore all in one device. i have such a bad sense of direction this has kept me from missing turns and getting lost several times already

i do have to wonder though - until my fz6 is ready this week it's on my vulcan cruiser. works great with the big wide bars. but the mount is longish and such. would love to see some picts of it installed on fz6 with the mount that comes in teh box. so far the pictures i've seen are with the small round base and ball that doesnt come in the box normally. in the box comes a base that can be used either with a u-bolt mounted on the bars or the same base mounted to a clutch or brake reservoir.

i ask because the second piece between that mount and the cradle that holds the gps proper is a bit long and would have the gps rather high and close to the rider.

abner

Reaction score
Visit site
My Street Pilot c550 came with a suction cup type mount. I have no problems with it by just suctioning it to the windsheild. The only issue with this type of mount is that it tilts down when you hitt a number of bumps and you have to constantly adjust it.

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
would love to see some picts of it installed on fz6 with the mount that comes in teh box.
i ask because the second piece between that mount and the cradle that holds the gps proper is a bit long and would have the gps rather high and close to the rider.

Here's a photo of the Zumo mounted on my FZ6. I'm using the handlebar u-bolt with RAM ball along with the RAM mount plate that were all included in the ZUMO 550 kit. I've added a short extender arm to allow greater positioning flexibility. Without the additional arm the ZUMO is really not high enough to use safely on the FZ. I bought two different length arms and ended up using the longer one on the FZ, and the shorter one on the BMW, because of differences in handlebar height.
3" arm: Amazon.com: RAM Mounts DOUBLE SOCKET 3" ARM RAM-B-201U: Automotive
A-arm (shorter one): Amazon.com: RAM DOUBLE SOCKET ARM A-LENGTH - RAM Mounts -: Apparel

zumo.jpg

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
I opted for a Garmin Streetpilot c550. I couldn't justify paying $900 for the Zumo when the Streetpilot came with the exact same options except for being water proof. I paid $300 for my Streetpilot.

It was my son's Streetpilot that sold me on finally breaking down and getting a GPS. It's a good unit, interface is similar to Zumo, although there are some routing capabilities on Zumo that are not on the Streetpilot. I considered it, though, but when I compared the two, I concluded that the better deal was Zumo. I paid $642 for mine about 15 months ago on Amazon. com. The Zumo comes with quite a bit more than the Streetpilot. Zumo includes motorcycle cradle, motorcycle fused wiring harness to hardwire the cradle to the bike's battery or fuse block, all ram-mount hardware needed to mount the ZUMO to the motorcycle's handlebars or clutch housing, car suction-cup cradle with built-in speakers (same as your Streetpilot), auto 12-V adaptor plug, plus the ZUMO is XM-radio-ready.

KindredGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a photo of the Zumo mounted on my FZ6. I'm using the handlebar u-bolt with RAM ball along with the RAM mount plate that were all included in the ZUMO 550 kit. I've added a short extender arm to allow greater positioning flexibility. Without the additional arm the ZUMO is really not high enough to use safely on the FZ. I bought two different length arms and ended up using the longer one on the FZ, and the shorter one on the BMW, because of differences in handlebar height.
3" arm: Amazon.com: RAM Mounts DOUBLE SOCKET 3" ARM RAM-B-201U: Automotive
A-arm (shorter one): Amazon.com: RAM DOUBLE SOCKET ARM A-LENGTH - RAM Mounts -: Apparel

zumo.jpg

hey agmom98,
I don't suppose you could put up a link as to what handlebar mount you purchased could you?

Thanks,
KG

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
hey agmom98,
I don't suppose you could put up a link as to what handlebar mount you purchased could you?

Thanks,
KG

I didn't have to purchase anything but the extender arms. All required handlebar mounting hardware for the ZUMO is included when you purchase the ZUMO. It's a base u-bolt with ball mount like this: Ram Mounting Systems - Products, a flat plate with ball that attaches to the back of the motorcycle cradle, like this: Ram Mounting Systems - Products, and a short arm to connect the two.