Locust / Insect protection - Radiator

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha offers a nifty aluminium radiator cover as an accessory for my FZ6S at $335 plus $46 for the fitting kit for bikes made after 07.

Y-Shop

yeah, sure and I love throwing money away!
However it appears flat compared to the plastic protector on my bike which has little grills. Has anyone thought of putting insect screen material on this plastic protector to keep bugs off the radiator?
It would be easier if it was flat but it ain't!
Locusts are hopping down here and a recent night ride saw me become a lighthouse for insects!

Any opinions would be appreciated.
Oh yeah, anyone downloaded the catalogue from Yamaha for the new FZ8?
They call the FZ6 'buzzy' and the FZ1 'overkill'.
'So buy an FZ8!.
Those marketers mince words aye!
Thanks
Rumps

Last edited:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea the Rad Guard is about 200-ish AUD, while there are some from the UK and US for about 100.

Insect screen material might melt I am thinking too, which wouldn't be too good either.
Try riding faster and dodging the (not so) little buggers :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know you folks in Oz gotta have that expandable metal lath that you use for stucco and the like. Here you can get a sheet 3 foot by 8 foot for about $9.00 US. I cut it to size and paint it black. It's cheap and reliable and stops the little delicate fins from getting clobbered. My buddies R1 was trashed and when I saw it I made my own protector for my R1. Sorry I didn't get any pics of it. Have to make a new one for the SV!
Maybe put those bucks somewhere else on the bike?!