Limited budget, but I want different exhaust

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I've been researching muffler options. Looked at gutting out the OE muffler: most likely it'll create a buzzy Civic sound. Looked at taking the little pipes out that the gasses exhaust from, eliminating one baffle: this requires the muffler being cut open with a band-saw to get to a couple of welds.

Finally, after much debate, the muffler tech and I decided I should try an automotive turbo muffler. He doesn't have any problems fabbing up brackets and such so that the plastics will fit back on (including the shroud) and says it shouldn't be too difficult. After the price of the muffler and labor, i'm looking at around $200.

So, all that to say, does anyone have any experience with turbo mufflers or opinions on putting one in the bike?

mercm3

newbie still dammit
Reaction score
Visit site
exoticsportbikes.com have the arrow aluminum exhausts for the FZ6 listed at like $265. Not sure that is a real price or an error but it couldn't hurt to try and buy it, at least it's close to your budget.

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, i should have also mentioned that I'm looking for something quiet with just a little tone. It's been my experience that all the mufflers available for our bikes are either loud and cheap-ish or quiet and outrageous. But thank you for the suggestion, i'll look into it.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
No, no experience with the turbo muffler. But based on the image below it looks like ti is constructed pretty much like a regular aftermarket set of pipes, minus the fiberglass packing.

Post up video and sound when you're done.

Turbo Muffler:
ChamberedTurboMuffler.jpg

Two bros:
C4--Carbon-Fiber-(Cut-Away).gif

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
exoticsportbikes.com have the arrow aluminum exhausts for the FZ6 listed at like $265. Not sure that is a real price or an error but it couldn't hurt to try and buy it, at least it's close to your budget.

Plus $99 for the mid-pipe...

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
The difference between a car muffler(including the stock FZ6 muffler) and a glasspack like every aftermarket bike exhaust, is that glasspacks are straight through, while mufflers are designed to have the exhaust gases resonate and travel through sections(like the picture above).

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
The difference between a car muffler(including the stock FZ6 muffler) and a glasspack like every aftermarket bike exhaust, is that glasspacks are straight through, while mufflers are designed to have the exhaust gases resonate and travel through sections(like the picture above).

agreed. The Idea is that by using a turbo muffler, there will still be chambers and holes for the high frequencies and a lot of the volume to be absorbed, but leave a nice, deep tone. We'll see what happens and if i can find one that will fit.