Lights on when engine off

Plymothian

Reaction score
Visit site
2004 Fz6

Hi everyone,

had a couple of intermittent problems and wondering if you can help.

Firstly, every few days or so i go to start the bike and I press the button and nothing happens. If I turn the ignition off, then on again, it starts up fine. Only does this occasionally and has happened both in the wet and in the dry.

Second problem: I turned the bike off last night and all the lights went off as usual, but when I locked the steering and pulled the key out, the lights came on and stayed on. Similar to problem above, when I turn ignition on, then off again, the problem is fixed. No other lights come on, just the tail light and side lights (and the one front light).

I think the battery is a bit low (getting charger this weekend) but don't think this would affect these two problems? It's still under warranty but wanted to see what people thought before I possibly get a "they all do that" from the dealer!

thanks

Plymothian

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you have the key turned to "Park" in the ignition?

Dang I'm stuupid - sorry didn't realise it had this feature! That's a relief, at least that is not a fault.

Will just have to get the starting issue checked out now, the dealers have just said bring it in and they'll have a look.

thanks again

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you have the key turned to "Park" in the ignition?

My US version doesn't have the tail lights on locked/ parking ignition switch. When locked, everything is off.
Does yours have this option? I know my 04 FJR had that option, but not the FZ.

Nevermind, he's in the UK...

If you've been accidentally leaving the parking lights on, running down the battery, yes it can cause the starting issue.. Get the battery fully charged and load test it. Ask them to check the charging system as well. Should be putting putting out around 14 volts at 5,000 RPM's.

Keeping your idle at 1,300 will also help keep the battery charged too.

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
My US version doesn't have the tail lights on locked/ parking ignition switch. When locked, everything is off.
Does yours have this option? I know my 04 FJR had that option, but not the FZ.

Nevermind, he's in the UK...

I think it might be a legal requirement here

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My Suzuki as well as other stateside Suzukis have the park feature on the ignition switch as well as a passing hi-beam momentary switch at your left hand. I can quickly wink my hi beams to oncoming traffic and also during passing. Now I want to go to Europe for a ride! :)

Normally the headlamps should be off until the engine is running on the FZ6. If you turn the key to on the other lights should light except for the headlights...

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Didn't realise the passing light button was a euro feature too. The main lights will stay on too if you use the kill switch to turn the engine off.