Light sensor to turn daytime running lights on/off.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been looking for a while and the best setup would be a dual switch setup. One is a manual switch and one an auto light sensitive switch.

Steps:
  • Find the wiring I need to tap into.
  • Gather all the parts. Sensor, wiring, and switch.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with anything? I am trying to get a hold of the guy on the other forum who created a sensor. :D

I would start at a junkyard and ask for the light sensor and all wiring off any 97+ gm pickup- thousands avaliable and relatively cheep

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
It certain states(such as california) you legally have to have headlights on a motorcycle even during the day.

Honestly, I wouldn't ride without them on.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
yea but a cop is going to pull a biker over for the lights not being on (if against state law where applicable) 10 times out of 10 over a loud exhaust... but it is a moot point since he is not planning to ride on the street...:thumbup:

^^^

and that is a good idea to try out first

Hehe wasn't arguing with ya :thumbup: I agree, just sayin' "illegal" isn't likely to put people off from some things :D

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the danger of having a spot of light on the sensor while driving in night time isn't worth it... I would hate to have my lights turned off by accident during night time

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Its amazing how many ppl ^^^^ will only read one or two post

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been looking for a while and the best setup would be a dual switch setup. One is a manual switch and one an auto light sensitive switch.

Steps:
  • Find the wiring I need to tap into.
  • Gather all the parts. Sensor, wiring, and switch.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with anything? I am trying to get a hold of the guy on the other forum who created a sensor. :D

There's a yellow/black wire that goes into the headlight relay, it's one side of the coil (trigger) circuit that turns on the headlight.

To get the front lights, taillight and tag light off, you'd have to interrupt the blue/red wire upstream of the flasher.

Those would be the wires to interrupt. If the light switch is just an open/closed switch, and it's open when light hits it, you could just splice the switch in series with hose wires... depending on the current capacity of it. If the switch is open when it's dark, you'd need a relay to 'reverse' that.