LED voltmeter

fazer513

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Many thanks to Crashcrazy, BD43 and Fred for their great mods and tips regarding the improvement to the headlights.
I did find however that there is precious little room to move in the available wattage / amperage when adding any extras to the electrical system.

To ease my mind about current/voltage issues I put together a Jaycar volt meter and mounted it below the dash. A neat little project that gives great peace of mind.
voltmeter.jpg

Assembled as per instruction, bench tested ok.
There is precious little space in the FZ dash area for extras.
Remote mounted the LED's on rainbow cable and secured them under the dash with the circuit board in a jiffy box under the left fairing panel.
Even in direct sunlight they are visible and I use a dark visor during the day.
Works a treat.
IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1962.jpg

IMG_1963.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

There are six green led's turning on at 12.1 12.4 12.7 13.3 13.7 14.1 red at 14.5 and 14.9. the first green and first red are trimmed to give the correct voltage range.
The FZ6 specs state 14v 310W at 5000rpm. actually max voltage can be achieved at 2000rpm. Using more than 120w saw the voltage drop below 12.5v. Too low for me to be happy.
I have completed the dual low/dual high beam mods and fitted HID driving lights.
Current draw is low beam 110 watts, high beam at 120W, drivers only 70W. Wired so low goes off when High comes on and high goes off when drivers come on.
Last weekends night trip proved trouble free. The light conversion, the HID's and the voltmeter working perfectly. Most of the trip 5 green LED's were constantly on show.
IMG_2020.jpg

fazer513

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes , the circuit board is in a box inside the left fairing.
I have some tidying up to do and this means making everything water tight.
At the moment water is not an issue (well it is, we don't have enough)for us in the lower states of Australia. Just say wet weather is not a problem at present.
We're currently going through a very hot and dry summer. Temp's have been +40c everyday for the last 2 weeks. :eek:

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 specs state 14v 310W at 5000rpm. actually max voltage can be achieved at 2000rpm. Using more than 120w saw the voltage drop below 12.5v. Too low for me to be happy.

If this is an ignorant question, I apologise in advance:
- what's the problem if the voltage drops below 12v?

I ask because I've got problems - running all these at the same time:
- rhs headlight mod
- heated jacket
- heated grips
- GPS mount
My heated grips have dropped to about 25% heat.

Any suggestions? I guess I could reverse the rhs headlight mod and everything would be back to working as normal, but that mod I'd like to keep as it keeps me safe on the roads at night.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
If this is an ignorant question, I apologise in advance:
- what's the problem if the voltage drops below 12v?

I ask because I've got problems - running all these at the same time:
- rhs headlight mod
- heated jacket
- heated grips
- GPS mount
My heated grips have dropped to about 25% heat.

Any suggestions? I guess I could reverse the rhs headlight mod and everything would be back to working as normal, but that mod I'd like to keep as it keeps me safe on the roads at night.
Battery will die... The Stator has limited output on an FZ6... Forget the heated equipment and wear thicker gloves and jacket. I have no problems in the cold without heated anything. Just dress appropriate.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I was cheap and just bought one of these for a mere £3 from Aldi. I'm gonna take it to bits, extend the LEDs and shove it into a box somewhere hidden.