LEATHER UP.COM (Experiences)

nicholas.craft

Reaction score
Visit site
I am starting this thread to warn people about a low integrity / crappy quality products from LeatherUp.com. If you have had any negative experiences with this company and or faulty products post here. I wish now that I had done more research prior to placing my order with them. For starters one of the jackets ordered was defective. If you have a defective product you have to email them pictures, wait for a postage label then ship it back. Once they receive the item they inspect it. If the item is not found by them to be defective you must pay shipping and then they refund your money. As for the other items in my order which are of the poorest quality I must pay shipping to get it back to the company in order to receive a refund. I am very frustrated with their policies. IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO BUY FROM LEATHERUP.COM BEWARE!!! MAKE SURE YOU ARE PREPARED TO RECEIVE THE LOWEST QUALITY PRODUCTS ON THE MARKET. It is clear to me now why they have these policies in place. They are betting on the fact that most will just settle for the low quality products vs. paying half the price of their original order to ship it back. I guess this is one time I should have adhered to the old time saying "you get what you pay for."

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
have any pictures of these defective items?? not knocking you, but if you could show us some pics, that would be helpful.. sucks when you get ripped of "or the feeling of "ripped off"... thats why sometimes its good not to buy gear from "cheap/discount" websites, you never know what your going to end up with.

I'm reading their site and see absolutly nothing about having to take pictures of things.. seems the same as every other that if you open a "new" item to find something wrong, you just send it back as it was sent to you.

not to nice about "late returns" though - "Late Returns
Unfortunately, items received after the 30-day return period cannot be accepted for a refund or exchange. Your package will be returned to you at your expense, If we receive the same late return package a second time, we will keep your merchandise and no credit or exchange will be processed. "

either way thanks for the heads up about this site.. if your looking for a quality place to buy stuff, either your local dealer, cycle gear, motorcycle-superstore.com, newenough.com, twistedthrottle.com, as well as lots of other sites that people here can recommend... good luck :thumbup:

btw: most places make you pay for shipping a product back.. gotta read the fine print...

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a bike cover $19 and a pair of jeans with knee pads $37 plus a discount of $5.99 from them last week and received them on Saturday. The bike cover is a little cheap as expected but is not bad at all but the jeans are actually pretty nice I like them quite a bit. I bought them just to take a chance and I think they are about as nice as my $100 pair of riding jeans I bought last year from motorcycle-superstore. I did not have any experience with having to return an item though and that is what counts when you buy online.

nicholas.craft

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I was a little heated when I posted this earlier. I should have said make sure you buy only name brand items from their store ex: Icon, Fieldsheer ect... Also make sure you like the product or you will be paying shipping for returns. As for the pics they are going up in a minute. The sight does not state the pictures for defective products, however, when you call the customer service they explain that if you want a free return label you must email them pictures of the defective products.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j362/njc955/?action=view&current=IMG_0221.jpg

http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j362/njc955/?action=view&current=IMG_0222.jpg

The mesh non-removable liner on the inside cuffs of the sleeves appeared on one side to be slightly melted leaving a hole. The other cuff right next to the velcro that holds the pad in was missing stitching. Overall the quality of the Vulcan jacket was not something that I felt would protect my girlfriend in the event of an accident.

Last edited:

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for your post. This is the responsible thing to do. I would have been heated too if i were you...I absolutely hate dealing with bad vendors. This is why consumers need to do their part and support the business of companies who do have amazing customer service, product quality etc., as well as exposing the ones that have bad service.

Last edited:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yea definitly return that and leson learned about buying "cheaper / non-brand-name" gear... thanks for the pics

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
I've got a couple jackets from them. I wear underarmor with leather jackets on top, so my interest is primarily aesthetics. I'd agree that the customer service isn't so great, I returned a jacket once for a different size and they accepted it without telling me they were out of stock on the other size. After a week I emailed them and worked out a solution, but I shouldn't have had to do that.

As for the quality of the products, both of the jackets I got were Xelement and they are definitely not high quality (my underarmor is, however, so I'm not exactly leaving my bits flapping int he wind). In the future I'll avoid that brand and the site, to be sure. On one jacket, the liner wasn't properly sewn and led to tearing. On the other, two of the jacket's five zippers (main, pockets, sleeves) fell off.

It pays to go with the higher priced gear. The fit feels, looks and protects better. I don't think mine, ours, is a unique experience. It is a lesson perhaps best learned the hard way. All of the major name brands I've purchased - Shoei, First Gear, Icon, Draggin Jeanz - have all stood the test of time. Discount gloves and jackets, well the pluralization tells the story. Money wasted on inferior quality products. I'll stick to the big guys from here out.

stpetemike

Reaction score
Visit site
you do get what you pay for sometimes...

I cheaped out and got a pair of pants from them, zipper lasted two rides.

paid a little more $$ and got a pair from newenough and couldn't be happier

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
a cruiser buddy of mine loves the gear off this site. Something tells me their jackets and boots are from entry level designers trying to get their stuff in to the market place.

nicholas.craft

Reaction score
Visit site
I just received my two other items today. One was an Exelement jacket and to be honest its not too bad, however, for as much riding as I do it would not stand the test of time. I would give the Exelement 618 armored jacket a max of two years IMO. The first pictures that I posted were of a Vulcan brand ladies jacket. The third item received was a pink size small Hawk helmet. When I pulled it out of the box it was missing the mouth vent. Upon searching through the box I located the missing piece and tried to pop it in only to find out that if the left and lower snaps were in, the right would not pop in, and vice versa. The over all quality of the helmet is very flimsy, maybe at most one year of riding once or twice a week, before components would fail. The only reason I give the Exelement a max of two years is poor zipper quality. Here are the pictures of the Hawk helmet.

IMG_0223.jpg picture by njc955 - Photobucket

IMG_0224.jpg picture by njc955 - Photobucket

In my opinion so far the customer service of LeatherUp.com is very disappointing. To answer the question about Exelement though, just save yourself some money in the long run and buy brand name stuff. Trust me when I say its worth the extra couple bucks! I have had a Fieldsheer jacket and Scorpion helmet now for two riding seasons. I love both of them and they show almost no signs of wear. (I am very hard on my gear and ride at least 7-8 months out of the year.) Oh yeah and I am new to them, but FZ6 rocks IMO.

nicholas.craft

Reaction score
Visit site
Almost all website stores right now are having huge sales on riding gear. Just picked up a scorpion helmet for under a $100.00 and a crosair Fieldsheer jacket for $90.00. To compare The Hawk helmet $80.00 and the Vulcan jacket $80.00.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Leatherup sells decent stuff. Not great stuff. You are getting the bargain basement cheapest price for leather goods on the web. I had a plastic buckle (the one that adjusts the waist) break. I called their customer service and they offered to pay for the repair or ship me another one. I decided it wasn't worth it but they offered and that is what counts.

Shipping is pretty fast.

The xelement jacket I have looks pretty decent and does the job. I also recently ordered a rainsuit of which the xelement brand seems very high quality although I haven't tested it in the rain just yet.

For top of the line stuff look elsewhere. If you want functional gear at low prices leatherup will be for you.

One bad experience doesn't make for a bad company.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered a fashion (non-moto) leather jacket from them a couple years ago, not a name brand. The quality was terrible: the leather was a very thin split with a thin surface that was actually dyed, and wore very early. The 3 pockets were thin nylon pouches, and ripped out within a season, so I couldn't carry anything in my pockets any more. The nylon lining in the body shredded, with long tears in it. I wasn't tough on the jacket either, wore in the cage to/from my job only.

However, it was only $65, while a similar one I wanted from JC Penny's was $100. Not quite the bargain I thought I had found.

At the same time, a friend of mine has ordered several items from them (moto apparel, bags, etc) that was all name-brand but less expensive on their site, and has been very happy with them, as happy as he would have been ordering from someplace more expensive.

My conclusion was: if it's something someone else would sell, it's probably fine to buy from them, but not anything that you've never seen elsewhere.:thumbup:

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
You know, really, we should all be smarter and just not order from Leather Up. They're obviously not about selling motorcycle gear even if that's what they stock. They're selling fashion apparel to people that want to look like bikers and/or vampires.

lu-motorcycle-gear-banner.jpg

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You know, really, we should all be smarter and just not order from Leather Up. They're obviously not about selling motorcycle gear even if that's what they stock. They're selling fashion apparel to people that want to look like bikers and/or vampires.

You may want to look at some of the items they sell, they appear to be like about any other vendor, selling both low cost and high end gear to try and suit those with either deep or shallow wallets.

https://www.leatherup.com/l/Shoei-Helmets/1005.html

https://www.leatherup.com/p/HJC-Full-Face-Helmets/HJC-CL-16-Hellion-MC3-Helmet/95108.html

https://www.leatherup.com/l/Scorpion-Helmets/1004.html

https://www.leatherup.com/l/Shark-Helmets/909.html

https://www.leatherup.com/l/Arai-Helmets/908.html

https://www.leatherup.com/l/Joe-Rocket/34.html

https://www.leatherup.com/l/Fieldsheer/35.html

https://www.leatherup.com/l/Nelson-Rigg/56.html

https://www.leatherup.com/l/Firstgear/912.html

Last edited:

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site

Reminds me of Chippendales :rof: