Leaking water pump hose

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
my hose are 3 years old, when to replace? Pulled up after a 700km weekend and the hose at the outlet side of the water pump was leaking as I idled the bike after the run.
Anyone had a similar issue. When should all the coolant hoses get replaced?
Got 2 hoses coming from Yamaha as I live in the Mallee in an isolated area. Replacing outlet hose and oild cooler inlet hose.
I gues some use braided lines.
any opinions will help.
Rumps

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a leak shortly after receiving my bike new from the dealer.
I had to check every hose clamp. Was your hose loose or possibly damaged?

Long time no hear! :D

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it might just be wear. Ordered 2 new hoses so see what happens when I put them on. I might start changing all these hoses as summer is here and I ride my Yammy more often then.
Ha good to be back on here, I have a new Harley that I have been riding this year, did Route 66 in the states and brought it back.
Rumps

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
IMO Rumps you replace them when they start doing what yours is doing :thumbup: They dont really have a shelf life but always let you know what they are buggered ;)

Just never use stop leak in the system , whoever invented that $h!t needs floggin' :spank: :spank:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would replace all the hoses, chances are once you put the new hoses on, the remaining older ones will likely fail, as the increased system pressure as a result of zero leakage, etc...will cause the older hoses to wear quicker...

Just a theory....has happened to me in the past...

Wanna keep your hoses like new...Inox! The fish oil in the Inox keeps the rubber nice and supple, and protects it fromn UV damage...

The hoses on my black FZ6 are nearly 6 years & 55000km's old, and look, and feel like new....Inox!

:thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure where the hoses attach to the aluminum are nice and clean with NO corrosion.

A small, toothbrush size SS brush would work well cleaning up any questionable area's. (I'd plug any orifices you have to clean with a piece of paper towel to prevent and crap from getting in too)...

As an FYI,
Yamaha recomends replacing brake hoses every 4 years, brake caliper
seals every 2 years, it doesn't mention coolant line replacement..

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I used a bit of wet and dry paper I carry in my despatch bag to clean up the water pump flange. It was pitted and probably caused the leak.
Coincidently, changed the air cleaner element and fuel economy has increased dramatically, just goes to show how it affects fuel.
Put 800km on the bike in 3 days, Mallee to Grampians then Lorne now via ferry to Sorento and Gipsland.
Check my throttle thread.
Pete