Late November Night Ride - Gopro Hero3

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very VERY good!! :thumbup:

My H3 should be here some time this week.. looking forward to playing with it (after many years of Contour use).

Which mounts are you using on the helmet and on the tank?

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
Thank you!

The helmet mount is shown in the picture--I took the curved adhesive mount and slapped it on the right side of my helmet. I only used parts that came with the Hero3 kit for this one. Be careful picking a direction (camera standing up or hanging upside down) and side that you put the adhesive mount on, because depending on the angle, the knobs that tighten the arms get in the way of achieving some angles. I had to end up flipping the mount around so my camera is a little further back than I wanted. The footage still looks good though!

The other mount I used was the suction RAM mount with a tripod adapter. I originally used it with my DSLR, so I ordered the gopro tripod adapter and suctioned the thing right on the gas tank behind the cap.

The RAM mounts are amazing, you can pull up to a stoplight and adjust things quickly on the fly, and they don't fall off! I suctioned my DSLR to my Givi case once...I keep my phone on my motorcycle with a RAM mount as well. If anyone doesn't know what they are, check out their website:

RAM Motorcycle Mount

These little cameras are awesome, I can't wait to play more with it!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very VERY good!! :thumbup:

My H3 should be here some time this week.. looking forward to playing with it (after many years of Contour use).

Which mounts are you using on the helmet and on the tank?

You're gonna cheat on Contour.....:Flip::BLAA:

Awesome video, Mark! Prefect music for the sped up section:thumbup:

Last edited:

sloring

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
The video is NOT good, and I did not expect it to be at night conditions. It's about the same as the Contour. How about some day time videos?
Also are you really riding with that THING on your helmet. Just plain silly.

Contour would be good for your helmet since you have that flat thing on the side of your helmet. I have to admit, the Contour 1080HD had better picture quality than the ROAM. Can't comment about ROAM2 or Contour+2.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I watched it again and like it even more. Making video is so much more than just the mechanics of filming. I really enjoy the creativity expressed in some of the video I see some our members make. Good stuff Mark!

What's the music!? :)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The video is NOT good, and I did not expect it to be at night conditions. It's about the same as the Contour. How about some day time videos?

Contour would be good for your helmet since you have that flat thing on the side of your helmet. I have to admit, the Contour 1080HD had better picture quality than the ROAM. Can't comment about ROAM2 or Contour+2.

You must work for Contour. The closest side by side comparison will be on this thread, and it's not the H3.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/usa-pacific/47107-video-central-california-ride-cali-rider-lefty.html

Setting aside the quality, whether it's great or bad, the video itself was a piece of art. I really enjoyed it, the music went well with the theme which was the dark ride during the night.

What's with pumping up your tires? Did you deflate them after the ride?

Last edited:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site

im on quite a few forums and this is an extremely friendly one. we have some clowns but they mean no harm and just like to have a bit of fun. honestly i dont appreciate the way you went about critiquing his video. it just comes across as insulting, the old "if you dont have something nice to say..." applies here.

if it wasn't your intention im not ragging on you, just putting it up there.

On a much more positive note great video and for whatever reason i really like how the panel is backlit blue on you bike, much nicer than my orange panel. are all of the S1s like that? i also like the night video. wish i could ride more at night but i dont like doing so without the dual headlight mod (need to get on that, i do:spank:)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Setting aside the quality, whether it's great or bad, the video itself was a piece of art. I really enjoyed it, the music went well with the theme which was the dark ride during the night.

Well said, Kenny! +1!

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
Thanks for all the comments guys!

The music is "Anthem" by Emancipator, a band that my brother told me about just the other day--they have an amazing sound!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PEGDGxZdzA]Emancipator - Anthem (2006) - YouTube[/ame]

I had been using a Contour+ for little while before I got my Hero 3 and felt pretty impressed with the low light performance of the Gopro--regardless I captured what I was going for and some people seem to like it! I can definitely see where some people would like the shape of the Contour for mounting on a helmet--I did get a small amount of wind buffeting with the gopro sticking out that far, but the benefit to me was that the camera was further away from the helmet, which helped me capture more of what I was seeing and less of the helmet itself.

Editing is definitely my favorite part of the process--I honestly went out and shot without much of a plan. I tried to grab a few different angles in hope that I could make something in the editing room. I just used the idea of telling the little 'story' of my ride to help guide me. Keeping the editing quicker helped me a lot, web audiences tend get bored quickly of the same long shots (watch the longer video "two brothers, two bikes" I posted here a few months back for a good example of that).

As far as the pumping of the tires...I hadn't ridden in a few days and I just needed to add a pound or two. I found that my hand pump is quite a bit faster than the little walmart 12v car pump that I have. Plus it provided something visually dynamic to edit to which is literally half the reason I used it. :rolleyes:

I really appreciate all the comments everyone, I love doing little things like this I just never seem to make time. The comments give me a reason to keep trying!

-mark

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments guys!

Editing is definitely my favorite part of the process--I honestly went out and shot without much of a plan. I tried to grab a few different angles in hope that I could make something in the editing room. I just used the idea of telling the little 'story' of my ride to help guide me. Keeping the editing quicker helped me a lot, web audiences tend get bored quickly of the same long shots (watch the longer video "two brothers, two bikes" I posted here a few months back for a good example of that).

I really appreciate all the comments everyone, I love doing little things like this I just never seem to make time. The comments give me a reason to keep trying!

-mark

I sincerely hope you'll find time to put together more of these :thumbup:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
What editing software do you use? Also do you have a prefered method to convert .mov files to .mp4 (as in when I use my Canon IS4000 and want to add content to gopro editing)

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
What editing software do you use? Also do you have a prefered method to convert .mov files to .mp4 (as in when I use my Canon IS4000 and want to add content to gopro editing)

I use Adobe Premiere CS5.5 at the moment, I'm looking to upgrade to CS6 soon (that's what I use at work). The beauty of Premiere is that it handles multiple codecs and video file types quite well in a single timeline...one of my other projects had everything from JPEG image sequences to mov's to m4v's in it and I didn't have to convert everything to one codec.

Sometimes if I am doing a lot of color correction or visual effects I will convert all my footage to a high quality codec such as Apple ProRes (which is contained in a .mov file). I usually do my mass conversions with Adobe Media Encoder which is part of the CS5-6 suite.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking to upgrade to CS6 soon (that's what I use at work).

What do you do for work?:thumbup: Whatever it is it must be awesome cuase those programs are expensive. I'm going to have to get a job teaching again just to get the discount and pay for it. I'm in sticker shock, wow.

But I guess it's worth it because you mix together some awesome videos, the quality shows.

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
My job is to run the graphics department in the video production department at RIT (a university). Working at a university means that I get academic discounts on a lot of the software I buy which is a huge blessing! :)

That being said there are a couple of free and inexpensive pieces of software out there that are great for this kind of stuff. :thumbup:

Cineform Studio - Gopro's editing software which is free, I haven't used it but it seems to have all the major features, including time remapping (slowmo)

Windows Movie Maker & iMovie, don't count either of them out, they are either cheap of free and have the basic features to start editing right away!

Lightworks - a very high end editor, ironically completely free/opensource. This is definitely not for the faint of heart, it has a strong learning curve. I believe the films Hugo, 28 days later, & Braveheart were all edited on Lightworks.