Last Ride of the Year

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
We couldn't have had a much nicer day for Precious's last ride of the year. It was chilly, but the sun was out, the leaves were all colors, and there wasn't much traffic on the lake road. Dh and I rode to Crawford Bay for lunch (and to warm him up, since he won't wear his rain gear and winter gloves like I do).

On the way back I got him to lead and go a little faster than I usually go but not way too fast, and I tried not watching my speedometer quite so much, just let 'er rip a little bit. You guys are right, it makes a big difference in my confidence around the tight corners. It was quite the exercise in trust, since I know he wouldn't deliberately lead me too fast, but he's got a lot more testosterone and experience than I do, too.

What a great way to end the season. :D

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Why do you think that was your last ride Susan?

AND>>>>>>>>>>

:needpics:

Sorry, no pics. :-(

It was the last ride for me because my insurance ran out. And of course it was rainy half the summer and it's gorgeous now, argh!

DH might have to hide the key to his bike...

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
We couldn't have had a much nicer day for Precious's last ride of the year. It was chilly, but the sun was out, the leaves were all colors, and there wasn't much traffic on the lake road. Dh and I rode to Crawford Bay for lunch (and to warm him up, since he won't wear his rain gear and winter gloves like I do).

On the way back I got him to lead and go a little faster than I usually go but not way too fast, and I tried not watching my speedometer quite so much, just let 'er rip a little bit. You guys are right, it makes a big difference in my confidence around the tight corners. It was quite the exercise in trust, since I know he wouldn't deliberately lead me too fast, but he's got a lot more testosterone and experience than I do, too.

What a great way to end the season. :D

It's getting chilly here too, way too early for me. Last year we rode until the first of November. We are going for a ride on Wednesday with some friends to see the Fall colors over Monitor Pass and where ever else we can find.

My hubbie put his 1986 Honda VFR750 to bed for the winter today in my guest bedroom. Sorry family and friends, the motorcycle is more important. You need to stay at a hotel if you come to visit. I attached a pic incase you don't believe me. He found a rust spot in the gas tank so he has that off to work on.

I am so proud of you Susan!:cheer: Good job overcoming your fear and trusting your husband! I too have to push myself out of my comfort zone a bit to improve my skills. This year I began leaning outside of the handlebars on tight corners. I find that sometimes I am going to slow and have to roll on the throttle to get going. I really have to focus when I ride like that. I usually only do that on roads that I know really well. Have you read any motorcycle skills books? I read two specific books (that's what I do over winter when I can't ride - When Motorcyclists and Cycle World come in the mail, I hide them so I can read them first heehee). The first is Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough and the second is Total Control by Lee Parks. Great books to teach specific skills. If David Hough's book was written for women it would be called "Safe Motorcycling" but a man would never read that. hahaha

Here's hoping for an early spring....

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Monica, that is awesome! Dh (who also has a VF) won't let me keep Precious in the house.

I read mostly online articles on riding. Perhaps it's time to check out something more in-depth.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's getting chilly here too, way too early for me. Last year we rode until the first of November. We are going for a ride on Wednesday with some friends to see the Fall colors over Monitor Pass and where ever else we can find.

My hubbie put his 1986 Honda VFR750 to bed for the winter today in my guest bedroom. Sorry family and friends, the motorcycle is more important. You need to stay at a hotel if you come to visit. I attached a pic incase you don't believe me. He found a rust spot in the gas tank so he has that off to work on.

I am so proud of you Susan!:cheer: Good job overcoming your fear and trusting your husband! I too have to push myself out of my comfort zone a bit to improve my skills. This year I began leaning outside of the handlebars on tight corners. I find that sometimes I am going to slow and have to roll on the throttle to get going. I really have to focus when I ride like that. I usually only do that on roads that I know really well. Have you read any motorcycle skills books? I read two specific books (that's what I do over winter when I can't ride - When Motorcyclists and Cycle World come in the mail, I hide them so I can read them first heehee). The first is Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough and the second is Total Control by Lee Parks. Great books to teach specific skills. If David Hough's book was written for women it would be called "Safe Motorcycling" but a man would never read that. hahaha

Here's hoping for an early spring....
YES! My dad has an '85 VFR700 Interceptor, it's awesome! (It's the red white and blue model)

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Last Ride of the Year (Ooooh! Nope! Read the tag wrong!)

YES! My dad has an '85 VFR700 Interceptor, it's awesome! (It's the red white and blue model)

Hubby's is red, white, and blue, too. I get a lot of attention from old codgers when I ride it, LOL.

UPDATE! Dh noticed that I read the expiration date wrong on my plate. I'm good until the end of the month, woo-hoo! (In my defense, it did say Oct 13. The date was on a different little sticker.)

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Last Ride of the Year (Ooooh! Nope! Read the tag wrong!)

Hubby's is red, white, and blue, too. I get a lot of attention from old codgers when I ride it, LOL.

UPDATE! Dh noticed that I read the expiration date wrong on my plate. I'm good until the end of the month, woo-hoo! (In my defense, it did say Oct 13. The date was on a different little sticker.)
His doesn't have as much red, but similar :rockon:

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
When my hubbie asked to buy the 1986 VFR750 in May, I said on one condition. He let me ride it once in a while. He has. Twice. Hasn't let me ride his 2005 VFR800 though. Still working on him..... I love riding it and I too get some pretty funny looks for old codgers. My son's SV650 is a blast to ride too. He has only let me ride it once though. Little bugger.

The hubbie had a brand new 1985 VFR500 Interceptor when we were dating back in the day. We had so much fun taking rides on it at the time. He sold it because his grandmother worried too much. When we got married he wanted another one. I told him not until I had babies and then he couldn't because I needed him around to help raise them. 23 years later and a few dirt bikes later... Our 18 year old son, hubbie, and I all ride. Love it!!!