Lane Splitting Information

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I need a quick reply for a thread on a local forum here... in which states in the US is lane-splitting illegal?

That's all I need to know, this is not a discussion on the rights or wrongs, I just want to know where it is NOT legal in the US.

Thanks!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I could be wrong (I'm doing that a lot today), but I think there are NO States that explicitly mention that lane splitting is illegal.
You can be cited for any number of infractions if the cop chooses to pull you over for lane splitting though.

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
It is illegal in Illinois. Not that I would ever want to try it with all the farm machinery that can pull out at any time.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think lane splitting or sharing is suicide to say the least. Even at slow speeds the way Oregonians don't use there turn signals it is not safe. I would vote no. :rockon:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL At least until you're in the middle of lane splitting, only to find a cop at the front.

But how is he to give chase? He is in bumper to bumper traffic...go around the car on the left side and he won't even get a glance at your plate.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought lane splitting was illegal in ALL states EXCEPT California. Illegal for sure in NY

I think this is the correct overall answer. I don't think any state (outside of CA) has any laws that says it is legal to do so. Some states may just not enforce lane splitting. And even in CA the overarching premise is it has to be safe to lane split, which means it is open to interpretation. You are not going to lane split down the 405 at 4pm and having it called a safe action.

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think any state (outside of CA) has any laws that says it is legal to do so. Some states may just not enforce lane splitting.

This might just be semantics but it is not actually legal in California. There is nothing on the books that says it is legal to lane share in CA. However there is also nothing on the books that says it is illegal. Evitzee was correct in stating that the overarching premise to CA lane sharing is that it must be safe and that is up to the police officer to judge if it is safe not the rider. From my understanding the CA lane sharing seems to be governed by a couple of CA vehicle codes:

V C Section 22350 Basic Speed Law

No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property.

V C Section 21658 Laned Roadways

Laned Roadways

Whenever any roadway has been divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic in one direction, the following rules apply:
(a) A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practical entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from the lane until such movement can be made with reasonable safety.
(b) Official signs may be erected directing slow-moving traffic to use a designated lane or allocating specified lanes to traffic moving in the same direction, and drivers of vehicles shall obey the directions of the traffic device.

V C Section 22107 Turning Movements and Required Signals

Turning Movements and Required Signals

No person shall turn a vehicle from a direct course or move right or left upon a roadway until such movement can be made with reasonable safety and then only after the giving of an appropriate signal in the manner provided in this chapter in the event any other vehicle may be affected by the movement.

These codes allow for the cop to interpret lane sharing how they seem fit and if you get a ticket it would probably be violating one these three codes or the general reckless driving codes 23103, 23103a,23103 b.

Also a few side notes from talking with CHP's in Malibu you can lane share on one lane roads but they do not advise it and recommend you use the right side if you are going to, however driving on the shoulder is strictly prohibited it is for emergency stopping nothing else. And yes I have recently done traffic school because of a stop sign violation in my cage so that is why I am so up on my vehicle codes right now

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Out of 50 states here in the USA, only one, California allows you to do so. I believe they use the word permissable rather than the word legal.

Other states have tried to legalize it, and have failed. Eventually, we will wake up one day and smell the coffee. Bingo! We are so far behind the times.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I think the US doesn't pass this law because we are home to some of the worst drivers in the world. My 17 year old neighbor just bought his first road bike " used Ninja 636" three weeks ago. while driving it home he bounced off a parked car then hit a porch. Can't imagine him lane splitting.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
But how is he to give chase? He is in bumper to bumper traffic...go around the car on the left side and he won't even get a glance at your plate.

Well, they do have those pesky lights and sirens. :D

I rarely lane split, as people around here are insane. Like mxgolf stated, almost nobody looks first, much less uses signals around here. And when they change lanes, they're not slow about it. Actually, that's about the only thing these people do fast. :rolleyes: So, I'll only do it at stoplights, and only occasionally.

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
I think lane splitting or sharing is suicide to say the least. Even at slow speeds the way Oregonians don't use there turn signals it is not safe. I would vote no. :rockon:

(To stay on topic) Illegal here in MA (last I knew).

(off topic) - yeah...have you seen how some people (including a lot of bikers) decide to exit a multi lane road? Drive at full speed in the left lane....wait for it...wait for it...wait for it...(ok, my exit is HERE)...DIVE right - no signals - WOOOhooo...there's a 3 foot long space I can fit into...DECELERATE to almot zero. Ahhhh, made my exit - can you see what would happen if you were "splitting" right at that moment that operator decided to "dive...dive...dive..."?!

And most of us think we're "safe drivers" :D

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
To not allow motorcyle lane splitting is analagous to, say, having 5 lanes perfectly usable on a freeway and not allow cagers to use two of them during a packed rush hour. Or maybe, seeing a school of fish swimming single-file in the water. It's great to have the maneuverability to swing around obstacles, trucks, cars, etc. Why not use it? Here in CA, often motorists, seeing that there's a bike spltting lanes and approaching from behind, will try to be super courteous and make a wider berth for the motorcyclist. I try to acknowleged them with a wave after passing.

kevlarian

Reaction score
Visit site
The CA DMV Motorcycle Handbook (2011) says the following...

Cars and motorcycles each need
a full lane to operate safely. Lane
sharing is not safe.
Riding between rows of stopped or
moving cars in the same lane can
leave you vulnerable. A car could
turn suddenly or change lanes, a
door could open, or a hand could
come out of a window. Discourage
lane sharing by others.

The CHP 'Answers' website states the following...

Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?
Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.

Without lane 'sharing' in most areas of CA, you would find a lot of bikes broke down on the side of the Hwy due to overheating. CA freeways tend to be large parking lots the majority of the day.

frt96

Reaction score
Visit site
I love how CHP says "Safe and Prudent manner".. The other day I was splitting at about 25mph in stop and go near sacramento in the gap between the fast lane and next to fast lane when a CHP Motor Officer goes bombing by at like 45-50mph in the next lane over..That is not safe or prudent.
I see motor officers doing this on the freeway all the time in the bay area.

The instructor at my MSF class (Retired Motor officer) said they use 25-30mph as a Max speed in slo and go traffic.

I just say keep your head on a swivel and be ready to stop fast!