Knocking sound when attempting to start

prozach1000

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, all this is my first post found a lot of good info here so here i am.

Have a 2007 fz6, it has been sitting in a garage for the past six years while i was in the Af. it was never started and the tank was drained and left sitting for about 2 years. had to replace the pump and the injectors prob need cleaning. But when started using starter fluid a loud and hard knocking sound is heard before the bike dies.
Any suggestions?

I hope I am wrong but a hard knocking is usually a rod bearing. Make sure you have sufficient oil pressure or the bottom end of the engine will be toast!

knew it sounded bad, i was worried about oil pressure figured it would have built pressure after push starting it. i have changed the oil tho

got the injectors off and they look fine, am not sure now what else could be the reason for start up let alone the knocking. New pump, spark, clean injectors. any suggestions?

Starting fluid is very unfriendly to high compression engines. Its just too volatile. If used as the sole energy source (no fuel) it is VERY LIKELY the source of the engine knocking as its actually pre-igniting without the need for spark. Don't use it anymore as serious damage can/will result.

Lift the tank, remove the screws around the air box, remove the air box cover and kick out any nesting critters.
Carefully poor some clean fresh gas into a bottle cap and dump 1/2 each into two of the throttle bodies. Repeat on the other two. Try and start it.

If it has spark it should run for a few seconds.

Q? Where did the new fuel pump come from and who installed it? Do you hear it make a pumping sound as soon as the key is switched on? Does it stop after a few seconds?

Also, you may know this but do not jump the battery from a running car. Leave the car off or damage may result to the bikes charging system.

Last edited:
Back