Knee Draggers...

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.topend.tv
I just wanted to hop in and share my thoughts and get opinions from those in this forum. The FZ6 is the second bike that I’ve owned, and I love this machine! My first was a Katana, and that was ended my riding around 13 or so years ago by a drunk chick who pulled out in front of me one rainy night. Anyway, I’ve found that since I’ve gotten the FZ6, I am not really interested in kicking it in and going knee-dragging and curve hugging. My brother, on the other hand, loves going out into the country and blazie up the roads. It’s nothing to him to go so fast and lean his bike (’03 CBR 600) into a curve until his foot pegs are scraping. To me, this is a severe accident waiting to happen.

I guess what I’m wanting to know is, who all here has been in a pretty major accident on their bike, and after getting back on the 'horse' are either more cautious than, or ride in such a way they feel that if they don’t change out their knee pads on a regular basis, they aren’t riding hard enough?

Many thanks,

X

You're going to have to define "pretty major". It's like the joke about planes.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from.
A great landing is one where the plane can be reused."

I think that quote is attributed to Chuck Yeager, but I could be wrong.

"accidents" come in many flavors - from "I dumped my bike in the parking lot and bent the handlebars." to - "I crashed and broke my collarbone" to "I crashed and lost my leg at the knee." to "I'm paralyzed for life". What's your threshold for "pretty major"?

You need to just get on and ride, your comfort level will increase with experience. There's something to said for getting on the horse after it has thrown you. You need to be the boss, after all you are riding the bike, it's not riding you, GRUMPY

If you're riding that hard you should be on a track, not the streets with traffic.

Accidents happen, but don't let them drive you from doing something you love. People have fallen in the shower and died, but that doesn't keep me from taking showers...(which is great for everyone!)

You've just got to be careful with everything you do...

I think dragging knees on the fz is cool...
cool to do on the track...

I agree that you are increasing your risk by doing that stuff on public roads

it's taken me quit some practice not to think with my throttle hand, the fz goes 7k rpm... 8k rpm and then just yells more.

:)

Maybe you might find that you can get on it at a structured track day

I crashed my Sv1000 2 years ago, broke my hand split a leg muscle/tendon and when the paramedic looked for my pulse he was amazed it was only 54

I would have got on the back of my m8,s bike and rode home had it not been 150 miles, and the paramedic was pushing me to go to the nearest hospital

As it was I was stranded miles from home at 10pm when the hospital kicked me out

4 weeks later, stookie off and I took my missus's R1 out but the pain in pulling the clutch was unbearable for another 2 weeks

I waited over the winter and went and got a gsxr750 and ive learnt nothing from my crash

Im brain dead i think

I ride fast but never had to get my knee down on the road to keep up, and only take corners on the side if I can see round them

Hi mdr,

I didn't mean to be vague about a 'pretty major' accident. However, by pretty major, I mean something along the lines of having to stay in the hospital for a while and/or being out of work because of your injuries. That, and having to undergo physical therapy. To me, a scenario such as this would fall into the category of 'pretty major'. Of course, like you said, others may have a different definition of it.

X

Hi mdr,

I didn't mean to be vague about a 'pretty major' accident. However, by pretty major, I mean something along the lines of having to stay in the hospital for a while and/or being out of work because of your injuries. That, and having to undergo physical therapy. To me, a scenario such as this would fall into the category of 'pretty major'. Of course, like you said, others may have a different definition of it.

X

when it's you going down it seems major... heck drop your bike at a stop light, bust a faring and you'll be bummed and think it was major...

I guess what I’m wanting to know is, who all here has been in a pretty major accident on their bike, and after getting back on the 'horse' are either more cautious than, or ride in such a way they feel that if they don’t change out their knee pads on a regular basis, they aren’t riding hard enough?

Many thanks,

X

Howdie Mister X. I was the victem of an accident which resulted in me having my back broken... I was rear-ended by a 16-year old kid with a learner's permit who was using his parent's car for street racing.

Anyway, to answer your question, I did not become more cautious as a result of it, as I have always tried to be cautious. However, ever since getting married, I have toned down my riding because I don't want to risk something happening to me and creating hardship on my wife.

@OP - For me, I think it comes down to 'time and place'.

I used to own a GSX-R and used to ride quite 'spiritedly' when the conditions allowed, but never got my knee down on public roads. There were just too many variable for me... damp, leaves, unseen manhole covers - the possibilities are endless, and it is just not worth the risk.

If people want to ride like Rossi on the road, fine, but for me, those kind of antics are left for the track where there are run off areas, and safety features, and certainly no chance of other road users doing the unexpected.

Well i have owned my 07 FZ for 4 months now it is my first bike. I was invited to ride with 2 people that live in my apartment complex (06 R6/ 03 CBR1000) needless to say that on that ride the R6 was the only bike to come back in one piece. We leave out of our apartments and with the 1000 in the lead they take off so i follow as the 1000 hit 150mph his fiberglass fairings explode we stop and gather them up... we keep going and we had found some twistie and with my inexperience i was taking them slower and the other riders. Then i saw my opportunity to catch up in a straight... bad idea i went into the corner too fast and couldn't get the bike deep enough in the corner so i hit the brakes wrong thing to do the bike stood back up from the lean and went off the road and i downed it. HJC helmet and Shift jacket saved me,and I walked away. after 250$ in insurance later ...

i am more confident in my riding and ride more spirited. i guess it had the wrong affect on me.:eek:

D

Last edited:
Back