Pics of the Oxford heated gripz system:

IMAG0330.jpg

IMAG0331.jpg

IMAG0332.jpg

Sent from my ADR6350

AdamFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know of a way to keep your finger tips warm ?

I've got Storm Handguards, Oxford Heated Grips and have PROBIKER Motorcycle Winter Gloves Arctic III WP yet my finger tips are still freezing !!

Cheers
Adam

njbill

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know of a way to keep your finger tips warm ?

I've got Storm Handguards, Oxford Heated Grips and have PROBIKER Motorcycle Winter Gloves Arctic III WP yet my finger tips are still freezing !!

Cheers
Adam

A friend taught me a trick years ago. The veins on the top of your hands feed the fingers. If that blood is warm, the fingers will be comfortable. Grip heaters do not keep that part of the hand warm. Here (LINK) is a glove liner that holds a heat pack against the top of the hand. I have used these for several years and they do a good job of keeping my finger tips warm. :thumbup:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode in 25 degrees this morning. TWENTY FIVE.

Long socks / Dainese Dyno boots
long johns / jeans / wind pants
t-shirt / mock turtle neck sweater / hoodie / light wind jacket / joe rocket summer mesh jacket
grip heaters on high / latex gloves / A* SMX 2 summer gloves
Helmet

My feet did get cold on the longer stretches of highway speed riding, but not really uncomfortable. Head was a little cold. Neck got cold doing head checks. But the hands. OH... the hands. So. Much. Pain. The tusk mitts and balaclava can not get here soon enough.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Hand muffs? Like over the controls mounted?

I only know of two (no first hand experience yet).

Tusk mitts: cheap
Hippo hands: NOT cheap

Cwwrig

Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered these. I should get them today. I will post how well they work out. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Neodymium-Magnets-inch-Disc-N48/dp/B001KV38ES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352452683&sr=8-1&keywords=StroNg+magnet]10 Neodymium Magnets 1/2 x 1/8 inch Disc N48: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Cwwrig

Reaction score
Visit site
Google. Bunch of sites selling hundreds of styles/strengths. I've used K&J Magnetics before. Nothing good or bad to say about them.

The ones I ordered from amazon are not strong enough. Have you taken yours out for a ride with those magnets? I'm curious to know if they will hold at speed. I saw these on K&J's website K&J Magnetics - Products. Do you know what strength those are that you have? The d88 - n52 looks to be similar to yours.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
No, mine are much bigger. About 1" dia x 5/8" thick like these:

K&J Magnetics - Products

I just happened to have these from years ago so I didn't buy them. Kinda cost prohibitive if you ask me. But to answer your question, no, they don't budge. They may be overkill.

You could probably still go the grommet method and use a much smaller magnet as the post. The big power magnet is really only necessary because of the mitt's thickness keeping it not in direct contact with the metal.

Cwwrig

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, that is a good idea. I'll try to grommet these and see if the magnets I have will work. They are strong, but they're not near as thick as the ones you have.

sloring

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode a few days when it was in the low 30s with the Gerbing T5. BEST INVESTMENT EVER. No need to get the thermostat, full blast is prefect.

njbill

Reaction score
Visit site
Hand muffs? Like over the controls mounted?

I only know of two (no first hand experience yet).

Tusk mitts: cheap
Hippo hands: NOT cheap

There are more than those two. Here are some options:

LINK

These look nice - LINK2. I have an older version I use on my dual sport. bikes Here is an old picture of them. This bike has rigid hand guards so side attachment is a non issue.
Whartonridepics032.jpg

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
I see a lot of posts in here about hand guards....any specific model/brand you'd recommend? Or are they all pretty much the same?

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
This winter I'm attacking the cold hands issue permanently. I got myself some Firstgear heated gloves. They have heating elements on the top of the hand as well as the top of all fingers. They get very warm. So far I've ridden with them down to about 35 degrees and my hands were not cold. You do feel the cold bars through the palm but the warmth on top keeps the entire hand comfortable even at highway speed. I'm also putting in Moose Racing heated grips, so my hands should be toasty down in to the mid twenties at least. I wear a balaclava underneath my helmet and that takes care of the chin blast.