keeping your hands warm this winter!

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Anybody tried the Storm handguards on an S1... with different bars? I'm thinking of going with the Storms, Renthal Road Medium, and some new grips and end weights.

Looking at the "mods" to the Storms, I'd think they would've fit OK just by rotating the bar back in the clamps.

Olas

Reaction score
Visit site
Heated grips and these mitts work well for me. The key is to secure them to the bar ends. I ride in the winter as long as there is no ice on the ground.

IMAG0591-1.jpg

Nice. Mind showing us a close up of how you secured the mitts to the bar ends?

Thanks!

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I have symtec grip heaters installed under my grips. What a great thing!

They don't keep you whole hands warm, so heated gloves would be better, but on those chilly days when you don't have extra gear with you, hitting the switch and feeling the warmth on your palms is a good thing.

I wired them up using a relay that is activated using the headlight output, so there's no chance of them staying on and killing the battery. Plus, they can't be on when you hit the starter, so that helps the battery.

Cwwrig

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm digging njbills setup so I order a pair of tusk mitts for my bike, but I'm not sure what that bolt is going into on the bar end. Do you have aftermarket bar ends? I really don't see how to fasten that to the stock ones. Please advise :)

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll echo Cwwrig's question. How does that fasten? Any limitations or concerns of uninhibited operation?

Having just installed grip heaters, I'm in heaven. However, as the temps are regularly dipping in the upper 30s here, I'm thinking a set of mitts over top would be epic. For the cost, I'm very close to pulling the trigger.

njbill

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm digging njbills setup so I order a pair of tusk mitts for my bike, but I'm not sure what that bolt is going into on the bar end. Do you have aftermarket bar ends? I really don't see how to fasten that to the stock ones. Please advise :)

Put a spacer into the bar end then install a hex head bolt. The bolt and spacer are sourced from any hardware store. My bar ends are Throttlemeister brand.

Last edited:

cult67

Reaction score
Visit site
Heated gloves will work the best. I haven't been able to justify the cost. Especially since most systems require both a heated vest $$, the gloves $$ and a heat controller $$. I can't justify the cost to extend my riding season by a month.

I just bought these because the price was right.
Aerostich Warm Wrap Grips :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

They are easy on and easy off which I really like. I didn't want something permanent like heated grips. I've heard too many horror stories of melted grips and faulty wiring from cheap set ups. Plus I like my comfy pro-grips :)

I ordered a set of these and they work pretty good. I will admit that I have not ridden them in temps below 40 yet. They install easy and are not too bulky. They are on sale at the moment 10% off I believe.

njbill

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll echo Cwwrig's question. How does that fasten? Any limitations or concerns of uninhibited operation?

Having just installed grip heaters, I'm in heaven. However, as the temps are regularly dipping in the upper 30s here, I'm thinking a set of mitts over top would be epic. For the cost, I'm very close to pulling the trigger.

I have grip heaters and the mitts. With this set-up, my hands are never the limiting factor in the cold. In addition, I have the touring windscreen and a heated vest. My bike never gets put away for winter. :thumbup:

As for the fastening question... I purchased my FZ6 used and the original owner had already installed aftermarket bar ends. Therefore, I never saw the OEM bar ends. Do the OEM bar ends have a open end with a mounting bolt like these? I added the grommet mount to eliminate any forward/aft movement.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Do the OEM bar ends have a open end with a mounting bolt like these? I added the grommet mount to eliminate any forward/aft movement.

Yes they look like that. They have an open end for the hex wrench (8mm?) to turn them on/off. Still not sure what the grommet is slipping over? Is the brass grommet simply holding on the the end, or did you have to add something? I don't think I could find a grommet big enough to encircle the bar end.

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
I test rode a BMW S1000RR last saturday that had heated grips and was pleasantly surprised how warm they kept my hands during 40 degree temps with my A* SP2 gloves on... Actually had to turn them down to the medium setting because hot was too hot!

Olas

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes they look like that. They have an open end for the hex wrench (8mm?) to turn them on/off. Still not sure what the grommet is slipping over? Is the brass grommet simply holding on the the end, or did you have to add something? I don't think I could find a grommet big enough to encircle the bar end.

Stock bar ends do not have an open end, so njbill's method of securing the mitts won't work with those. Unless you drill a hole in them and tap it so you can screw a bolt into them. I have pro taper bar ends and this set up would work with them because they are hollow. Unlike the stock bar ends which are solid.

njbill

Reaction score
Visit site
Replacement bar ends with the threaded ends start at $12 on ebay. The grommet and crimping tool are available at Home Depot. If you want me to make you a set, send me your mitts with return postage.

RE
Stock bar ends do not have an open end, so njbill's method of securing the mitts won't work with those. Unless you drill a hole in them and tap it so you can screw a bolt into them. I have pro taper bar ends and this set up would work with them because they are hollow. Unlike the stock bar ends which are solid.

Cwwrig

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm considering getting some neodymium magnets to mount mine to the bar ends. I don't know how well this will work, but that would be an easy way to install/remove them if the magnets work well. I'm thinking one magnet could be placed outside the mitt where njbill's grommet is, and put the other one on the bar end and then "snap!" ready to go! Or at least that is how it is working out in my head right now :).

Cwwrig

Reaction score
Visit site
Replacement bar ends with the threaded ends start at $12 on ebay. The grommet and crimping tool are available at Home Depot. If you want me to make you a set, send me your mitts with return postage.

RE

I looked on Ebay, but it is difficult to tell which ones are actually hollow with a bolt versus those that have a hex head recessed spot to tighten and loosen it. I suppose I could e-mail a couple to see. But even the ones you linked to earlier may or may not actually have a bolt that goes through them.

njbill

Reaction score
Visit site
I looked on Ebay, but it is difficult to tell which ones are actually hollow with a bolt versus those that have a hex head recessed spot to tighten and loosen it.

Search ebay for FZ6 bar ends and you will see several that clearly have a bolt running through the middle.

Last edited:

Blackops272

Reaction score
Visit site
you can get these heat packs for hands and feet you snap them like a glow stick or heat them up for so long or something and they give you hours of heat

something like this or similar could work

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hot-Hands-Survival-Heat-Pack/dp/B004FLR8KU"]Hot Hands Survival Heat Pack - 9"x13": Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike[/ame]

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been thinking about getting hand warmers or heated grips because I'm going to be swapping out the handlebar soon anyways. Still looking for a good deal and I like some of the options found in this thread. :D

Olas

Reaction score
Visit site
I've ran the heated elements that go under the grips before on other bikes and right now I am running a set of Oxford grip heaterz and I must say that these are much better. The controller gives you 4 levels of heat and the whole package works extremely well and looks to be of good quality. Install was super simple and did not require insulation of the clutch side. I highly recommend these grips. Ill take some pics later.

Sent from my ADR6350