Keeping it under 65mph

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried to keep my speed down this weekend to below 65mph.:cheer: I felt like I would be run over at any time while on the D/FW freeways.:( When I'm ahead of the flow, I feel more in control of things around me.:rockon: At 65mph, every thing on the road comes at me from behind, and that's no good. Now I can say I gave it a try.;)

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
I tend to go a little faster on my bike than in my car. I try to keep up with traffic, because like you said, I don't want people flying up behind me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I occasionaly ride 60-65 in the right lane. I don't really mind people sitting behind me, because they will usually just pass. I find that by riding at this speed, you end up between "packs" of cars and get nice quiet breaks from traffic.

Karate.Snoopy

Reaction score
Visit site
I occasionaly ride 60-65 in the right lane. I don't really mind people sitting behind me, because they will usually just pass. I find that by riding at this speed, you end up between "packs" of cars and get nice quiet breaks from traffic.

I used to do that but then once I had this crazy fella in a behemoth of an SUV try to pass another car from the right hand lane. Damn near ran over me. Luckily for me I had been watching this douche jump around lanes and was able to maneuver my bike to get out of his way.
I try to watch my back a lot and usually keep my pace slightly higher than the traffic.Also staying in the right lane I get paranoid about the merging traffic as folks are generally not paying attention.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have a speedo healer or is the 65 mph as indicated? If it's as indicated, in reality you're actual is about 57-58 mph. You will need to keep it around 72-73 for it to be actually 65 with the stock gearing and all.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site

I'm with FZ6Bandit - I'm usually not the one being passed - and I find that going fast you get nice quiet breaks where you're ahead of the packs.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Make some distance then cruise. Even in a car there is always some ******* that tries to pass multiple cars. If they try to slide in and don't see you well... It's mostly highways and deep ditches around here.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with FZ6Bandit - I'm usually not the one being passed - and I find that going fast you get nice quiet breaks where you're ahead of the packs.

And nice quiet breaks when you're stopped by the police as well...

Admittedly, I don't usually ride slow in the right lane, however when traffic is light and I'm in a relaxed mood I will. For the most part, I keep up with traffic in the left lane.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
the right lane is usually all beat up by all the trucks and I get tossed around by the bumps and cracks....I Usually keep to around 75 (corrected) unless im in a group or when I see the crazy people flying around me at the 120+ speeds....then I keep up ;)

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have a speedo healer or is the 65 mph as indicated? If it's as indicated, in reality you're actual is about 57-58 mph. You will need to keep it around 72-73 for it to be actually 65 with the stock gearing and all.

GPS speedo.:thumbup:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
And nice quiet breaks when you're stopped by the police as well...

Admittedly, I don't usually ride slow in the right lane, however when traffic is light and I'm in a relaxed mood I will. For the most part, I keep up with traffic in the left lane.

Guess I will pay the fine then. Not the first ticket I have ever had.

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't be the fastest guy on a motorway is my policy.
Nothing wrong with fast and superfast - just make sure that someone else is going to attract the attention.
BMWs or Audis are good for that over here, let them think theyre racing me and winning in known police hotspots.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
ABP - always be passing seems to be the best way to keep from being run over/sideswiped. I try not to ride beside people, and if I do, I make sure that I drop a gear so they know I'm beside them.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried to keep my speed down this weekend to below 65mph.:cheer: I felt like I would be run over at any time while on the D/FW freeways.:( When I'm ahead of the flow, I feel more in control of things around me.:rockon: At 65mph, every thing on the road comes at me from behind, and that's no good. Now I can say I gave it a try.;)

Yeah sorry, i dont and wont take chances like that. unless im on a plugged tire or something strange like that. I dont even like to be on the slow side of traffic in a car, i just dont trust other peoples driving skills very much.

Glad you learned your lesson...:thumbup:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I understand where you guys are coming from, however I strongly disagree that going slightly slower than the flow of traffic in the right lane is more dangerous than speeding in the left lane. Almost all motorcycle accidents happen from forward facing hazards. Per the Hurt Report "more than three fourths of all accident hazards are within 45° of either side of straight ahead." If you are travelling 85 MPH in the left lane and something suddenly comes up, you have 70% more kinetic energy, and therefore 70% more stopping distance, than if you were travelling 65 MPH.

Also, drivers in the left lane tend to me more aggressive, while drivers in the right lane tend to be more reserved.

Last edited: