Kawasaki Z1000

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site
So last night I ran across this bike in a grocery store parking lot and almost messed my shorts:

kawasaki_z1000_2008_01.jpg

The image really doesn't do it justice. It was one sexy looking bike, and I normally hate Kawasakis. Anyone know much about this bike? Ever tested one? I could see myself on one of these someday...

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Too busy for me, and that exhaust is atrocious (although easily rectified).

Otherwise pretty cool looking bike, nice brakes.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, now that I know there's at least one other person out there...

A few months ago I was bike shopping with a friend and I had a similar reaction to this bike. Same color scheme (I don't know if they make more than this color scheme), and you're right the picture doesn't do it justice. My friends thought I was going to leave the shop with it; I was just sitting on it with this s***-eating grin on my face the whole time, refusing to get off, trying to gauge how it might handle and feel.

As a self-defense mechanism to avoid buying it and getting in hot water with the wife, I blocked this memory from my mind until just now. I never took the time to give it a test ride or learn much about it, but I was personally impressed with the look and feel of this bike.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
That bike has been on my list for a while. As mentioned above, the Exhaust looks like poo but that can be fixxed.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Too busy for me, and that exhaust is atrocious (although easily rectified).

Otherwise pretty cool looking bike, nice brakes.

+1 there's something about the Kawi nakeds I don't like, but I am not sure I know exactly what it is... "too busy" sounds right... and the lines just don't flow naturally to me (as in the FZ6 frame, clean engine etc...).

Still an awesome bike though...

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 there's something about the Kawi nakeds I don't like, but I am not sure I know exactly what it is... "too busy" sounds right... and the lines just don't flow naturally to me (as in the FZ6 frame, clean engine etc...).

Still an awesome bike though...

Yea, I see that. Especially with the lower fairing and the exhaust. It is a bit Robotech/Transformers looking. I like it because it feels natural when I sit on it. It was one of very few bikes that do. My two favorites, for looks and feel are Honda's 919 and 599. My choices in order were the 599, FZ6, 919.. The FZ6 seemed a bit more all around capable than the 599 so she won.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
It is a bit Robotech/Transformers looking.

That's it! Looks like it's just waiting to jump and transform.

The frame is also pretty well hidden and integrated into the body. I like to see the frame, and it should look pretty. That's one (of the many) reason (s) I love the Ducati Streetfighter.

Ducati.com

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
I was actually very close to buying one of these before I got my FZ6. The sales guy that sold my buddy his R6 had one of these and I just thought it looked all "tranformery" and bada$$. I'm pretty sure this was the bike that opened my eyes to the naked style bikes rather than the plastic race replicas. I ended up shying away from it because it was a 1000cc and because it was more $$$ than I wanted to spend. The megaphone style exhaust is pretty lame, but who keeps the stock exhaust anyway! :spank:

I would love to test ride one now, hey I've already got one Kawi in the garage, why not!?

:spank::ban:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My Business partner owns a 2007 Kwaka z1000....120HP at the rear wheel, reasonable handling out of the box, but really needs decent aftermarket suspension, like Ohlins, to get the best out of it...in the right hands...these things are a weapon.

here's a pic of Gazza's steed....which has Ohlins fork internals at the front, a full remote Ohlins Shock at the rear....and a "dead sexy" Akropovic titanium/carbon exhaust....

View attachment 21180

:eek:

moopie

Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately, 2008 was the last model year to come to the USA.

Hubby test rode the 08 model about a year ago. He thought it looked awesome and performed very well. However, he said the seating position was very harsh in his manliness area and that was only after about a 15 minute ride. He's still interested in the bike though in hopes that an aftermarket seat could fix that problem.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I must be getting old coz when I think of Z1000 I think of the one I used to own.

That new one is sacrilege to the heritage of the mighty Z.

Mine looked just like this.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I must be getting old coz when I think of Z1000 I think of the one I used to own.

That new one is sacrilege to the heritage of the mighty Z.

Mine looked just like this.

Say that around Gazza! :eek:

But i know what you mean....you know, i think us Aussies have a special affection for the iconic Kwaka Z's....it must be the "Stone" movie thing...

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
The Z1000 looks cool, but I'm very skeptical towards the quality. If it's anything like the Z750 I would stay away from it. I test rode one of those before I got the FZ and the quality of the 750 was seriously lacking. Up close the plastic looked and felt cheap, the swingarm and brakes were cheap, and in all the bike was heavy and uncomfortable. Maybe the Z1000 is different, but TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT! ;)

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the z1000 has been on my short list for a long time, I would love to pick one up as another bike, they are drop dead sexy to me and they are the reason that i fell in love with naked bikes.

I have sat in many, but never ridden one. they are comfortable to me sitting still, but that means very little for riding. I might find a shop with one and test ride one, they re-sell very cheap which might work out well for me :)