Kaoko Throttle Control

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
Hello all.

Here is my installation of the "Kaoko Throttle Control"
I installed this on my 2007 FZ6 so I can only assume it will be the same for other year models. I did this, with taking pictures, under 30 minutes and I will bet anyone could do this under 15 minutes if you have everything ready.

Oh yes... I cannot be held responsible for you or your bike - you assume all risks.

Items used :

- Kaoko Throttle Control

mglowe-albums-kaoko-picture2705-dscn0320.jpg

- Drive Ratchet
- Extension Bar (optional)
- 8mm Hex Bit Socket
- 10mm Hex Bit Socket
- Torque Wrench

mglowe-albums-kaoko-picture2715-dscn0324.jpg

- Thread Lock - Blue (WARNING: DO NOT USE RED)
- Grease (optional)

mglowe-albums-kaoko-picture2707-dscn0327.jpg

What I did :

Remove the throttle side bar end with 8mm Hex Bit. My bar end took no effort to un-screw and the extension was not needed.

mglowe-albums-kaoko-picture2708-dscn0322.jpg

Note: There is difference in design from the factory bar end. I was not able to weigh the Kaoko against the original as I did not have a weigh scale - sorry.

mglowe-albums-kaoko-picture2709-dscn0326.jpg

Install washer.

mglowe-albums-kaoko-picture2710-dscn0332.jpg

mglowe-albums-kaoko-picture2711-dscn0333.jpg

Remove the friction nut to put some grease on only the friction nut threads.

mglowe-albums-kaoko-picture2712-dscn0337.jpg

Put some thread lock on the other threads.

mglowe-albums-kaoko-picture2713-dscn0338.jpg

Install with the 10mm Hex Bit and according to service manual torque to 19 foot lbs.

mglowe-albums-kaoko-picture2714-dscn0339.jpg

Really simple to install and looks looks good.

Last edited:

mglowe

Reaction score
No I have not rode with this yet. I'm hoping to go out as soon as we have some warmer weather.

As far as engaging... I sat on the bike and went through the motions and felt it would take my left hand to engage it. The friction nut was a bit stiff and probably wasn't helped by me adding grease to its threads but time will tell.

As far as disengage, there should be no problems using the throttle hand only (the friction nut works loose with throttle to the close position as it should).

One must remember it is not for use in town but for those long open road rides.

mglowe

Reaction score
OK as promised here is my ride review for the Kaoko Throttle Control.

Again, this device is not for in town use. If you choose to do, make sure your life insurance is paid up and a living will is on file.

So, for the open road the Kaoko is pretty good and does what it claims to do. Notice I didn't say excellent...

The Bad: Setting the friction nut was near impossible with my throttle hand. The resistance from the nut was too much to overcome while trying to maintain throttle control. Maybe it needs broken in...?

The Good: Reaching over with your left hand and setting the friction nut was easy enough. New riders might want to get some mileage under them
before they start moving about with only one hand on the bar. Others I'm sure are comfortable with the bikers wave, visor wipe and displaying that middle digit to idiots and such to have no problem reaching across to the throttle side.

The Bad: Once set, if you ride on a road with slopes that incline and decline your going to loose and gain about 10 mph (roughly 500 rpm's either direction depending on slope) - watch your speed. Remember this is a throttle lock and not cruise control. *grin*

The Ugly: Another issue I felt is when in highway traffic (you know... the NASCAR pack that seems to always go faster than you...) you will NOT have
the throttle up escape ability. If your paying attention and see the pack coming then do release the friction nut BEFORE they reach you.

The Good: Throttle stays set but not where you couldn't close it. On a flat road it works wonderful. You can fine tune it with precision and give that throttle hand a much needed break on those long trips. Handlebar buzz is significantly reduced because you find yourself holding the throttle with less grip.

I suppose one could argue better gas mileage but we didn't buy the FZ for gas mileage now did we...?

The Good: The Kaoko does not get in the way of normal throttle operation. When the friction nut is disengaged the throttle behaves the same as before. There is no control resistance in it at all. I really could forget that it was installed.

The Good: Although the style of the bar end was slightly different, I did not feel any difference in handlebar buzz.

Generally, I'm happy with my purchase. I think the only issue I disliked was the lack of ability to instantaneous throttle up while engaged. I also would have liked Koako to supply a matching bar end for the opposite side. It's not perfect but there is very few, if any, better choices for cruise type control for our bike.

Would I recommend the Koako... Yes