K&N oil filter worth the extra $$$$$$ ?????

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys just wondering if the k&n oil filter is worth the extra money considering its nearly 3x the price of a champion filter or a hiflo filter?? :confused:

just wondering as i am going to change the oil and filter in the next 2k miles.
at present i am using a champion filter with castrol power 1 semi synthetic 10w40 and its running good!

thanks guys :thumbup:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
As far as actual filtering goes as well as oil flow, you can get as good as or better for cheeper. But the nut welded on the filter body makes changing it yourself a lot easier. That being said I still wouldn't use them for the price.

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks! was just wondering as all that seems to be commonly available in ireland are hiflo filters followed in second by champion filters. the nut on the filter is very hsndy alright, but i bought a chain wrench for my last service whuch worked despite very little room to use it :)

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
As far as actual filtering goes as well as oil flow, you can get as good as or better for cheeper. But the nut welded on the filter body makes changing it yourself a lot easier. That being said I still wouldn't use them for the price.

Agreed, the only benefit is the convenience of the welded nut for removal. Really not neccessary as your hand, a filter wrench, or worst case a screwdriver will work just fine.

peteehoward

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to completely agree that you are just paying for a nut to be welded onto the end of the filter. it is no better than most other brands. Now that being said you do still need to buy a good filter.

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
But they also do it with a chrome finish for a couple of extra £'s and that looks great
I understood you didn't have to change them at each oil change or is that the air filter?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As a side note, I've seen a K&N cartridge style filter next to a Hi Flo (for a KLR). The K&N had several more pleats than the Hi Flo, thus more surface area for cleaning/oil flow. With that said, I have not hacked up a HI Flo and K&N filter for the FZ6 and checked the surface area.

IMHO, I liked the K&N and would prefer to pay a little extra for the added filtering. The nut is handy too..

I'm currently using a K&P filter/oil cooler, (billet aluminum housing filter with cleanable SS inner mesh which comes out for easy cleaning) and am very happy with it, very top quality. Advertised 5 times the oil flow of paper, no more buying oil filters, very simple and easy to clean besides seeing what, if anything was floating around your engine... Downside, not cheap $....