Johnny5 Crash Footage in L.A.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you mister other rider for buying me a new motorcycle and paying my medical bills. That's why we have insurance folks!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good example of just how quick things can go wrong. Thanks for sharing! That road looks a lot like the crest, is it?

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny that a friend e mailed me this same link today with the note saying " this is why I never want to ride this road" :D

"The snake" is this sketchy section of the mulholland hwy with several off-camber & increasing radius turns and wild hairpins.. most of the time there is zero shoulder space and the road gets lots of gravel..

This road must be the most talked about road of SoCal although it's not even close to being one of the best rides. This year I started to avoid the "snake" section completely because of the reason shown in this video. There are some great rides in the area though.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Amazing just how quickly that happened. Do you think there was anything the rider filming the crash could have done to avoid it?

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Could have done? Sure I guess, but he didn't seem to be riding overly aggressive and didn't cut the corner too close. Probably because it was a blind turn. I think at the point he probably saw the wreck well enough to react, any reaction on his part probably would have turned it into a high side.

As far as the turn, ideally you'd be getting on the gas not off it. But he was probably trying to take the blind turn easy to avoid just that.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Man the guy who hit him was wearing tennis shoes and a hoodie...... What did he mess up on that turn?? It looked like he followed the same line as the rider in black but i dont know.

nvm he was much closer to the yellow

Last edited:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
The OP on the video said he just had his permit. It looked to be a combination of not understanding the countersteering concept and not knowing what happens when you chop throttle leaned over like that.

He turned the handlebars to the right and chopped throttle because he was spooked about going wide and fast, and the other riders. So the bike did what it was told and he lost his front wheel.

You can also just make out the target fixation on the yellow rider, quickly shifting to the spot on the road where he went down.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Amazing just how quickly that happened. Do you think there was anything the rider filming the crash could have done to avoid it?

No way. He was already committed to the curve and there was less than 1 second from the time it was obvious the oncoming bike was low siding till impact.