Jacket Advice Needed

Doug

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to invest in a 3 season motorcycle jacket. Textile is fine, but if there's a reasonable leather out their, I'd look at it. Any recommendations?

The Speed and Strength line seems nice.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
Whatever you choose, go with a jacket that has a removable liner. You'll have a lot of flexibility in just one jacket. A big plus in my book.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an Harley FXRG nylon jacket. There's a leather one but it's heavier and $100 more. The FXRG I think is about $400; I negotiated and got it for about $350.

It has lots of pockets (and if you don't zip up, stuff won't fall out which I found is not true with all jackets). It is well made and comes with 5 year warranty. And it's made in America (oops I mean Indonedsia :D actually). The Harley logos are very few and black so they don't stick out. It has reflective piping for night visibility. It comes with a belt that fastens via velcro that supports the back -- ok for upright riding but not useful for crouching down. If you remove the builtin back protector foam, you have good room to wear your own separate back protector. There are front and rear vents (they cause drag if you ride without a windshield and sitting upright) but just fine for the FZ6 riding position. The jacket is water resistant and seems to keep me relatively dry in rain -- but still you need a real rain jacket cover to be bone dry.

The liner is excellent. I don't wear Winter coats much anymore in Winter because that liner under a fleece jacket keeps me very warm. I would estimate that buying a liner like that separately would be easily $100.

Dennis

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Try on as many jackets as you can.
I was using my Shift Octane for a long time - nice jacket but selling it now.
Why/ First I got smoking deal on 3/4 BMW Tourance jacket - very comfy, excellent elbow, shoulder and back protector (not just piece of foam), etc.
Waterproof, windprooof, liner, etc. It was on closeout and I got it for 197 out of the door - fantastic price for Canada, originally it was about 800 before taxes.
I than started to think that I would not mind upgrading my everyday jacket. Ordered RS Taichi but it was on back order and I already got the bug to buy it NOW :) So started looking and got Spidi R Course - oh my god, fit and comfort is unbelievable. I never got the hype about expensive jackets (R Course will cost you 859 + 75 for back protector + taxes in Canada - around1150 out of the door. I got mine used (guy literally weared it two times, jacket still smells like new) for 380. And oh boy - even for 1K+ it worht every pennny and then some.

So point of my long boring message - deals can be head and in gear you get what you paid for. just watch some video reviews of R Course - level of thought and quality which went into the jacket is superb.

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
I just posted my new Scorpion Hat Trick in the Safety forum. $110 shipped, thermal liner and waterproof liner. I have done some rides now and find it very comfortable and exceedingly well made for the money.

Joe

Vikingj

Minnesota Viking Fan
Reaction score
Visit site
New Enough has a "GREAT" deal on the Joe Rocket Nova 2.0. Just got it, and it is well made and completely waterproof. Fits good and not too hot. At 100 off, you can't beat it.:rockon:

JustinID

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up a Joe Rocket Ballistic 8.0 from New Enough. I've only had it since late spring, so haven't done any cold weather driving yet. In the summer temperatures, I can handle up to the low 90s in it. Above that and I switch to an all mesh jacket. It's a 3/4 length jacket with a removable liner and good ventilation. Webbikeworld.com has a review on the 7.0 which is pretty similar. I think the temperature range they say it's good for is very conservative (45 to 80F) as I'm already using it in much hotter weather.

Keep in mind that I live in a "high desert" area, so while we get pretty hot, the humidity is very low. I could NOT wear this jacket in 90 F and 75% humidity.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
My "all season" jacket is a Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2.0 textile jacket. It's warm as toast with the liner installed, is "100%" waterproof and can be converted to a hot weather mesh jacket by removing the outside panels by undoing a few zippers. JR jackets fit on the large side, and I wish I'd gone with a Medium instead of a Large...even so, it's my favourite year-round jacket.