It's official- I've lost everything!

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
Best of luck to you, J! I have a family member who filed for bankruptcy a few years ago due to a lazy (ex)wife (she could work, but just didn't want to, but she did make their kid go to daycare for thousands a month).

The economy sucks right now, and thigns will get better. Make sure you get your family somewhere safe and comfortable before anything "luxury" comes into play, even bikes (unless you go without cars and use bikes for transport). You have each other, and this can be the time they remember as the best in their lives if you play your cards right ;)

Good luck!

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wish you all the best in getting things sorted and back on your feet. Keep things simple. Work to stay positive.

Even though I have a job I'm always wondering if my company will have yet another "reduction in force" and I'd be one of the unfortunate ones. And I'm sure that I'm not alone in that sort of worry.

As has been suggested, I'd look at other parts of the state. Perhaps if you move a bit closer to a city you may find more opportunities.

As has already been debated in this thread, I'm seriously considering moving. My choices are either Texas or Oregon. Bums me out to think about it, but there are plenty of things I'm not liking about California these days.

Last edited:

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll come out of this and will be stronger because of it. Stay in Cali if you can, I've thought about moving there just to take advantage of the real estate market, if Danny can keep his job you guys will be looking very good once the economy hits bottom. Also I'm sure when times were going well you paid a lot of taxes and maybe gave a little to some organization, so don't let pride get in the way of freebies like a food bank or salvation army, it's your turn to benefit from these types of services.

Through diversity brings opportunity so try and look for the positive change in this.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wow, sorry to hear about this, you have had a very tough couple months. if there is anything that we can do over the internet let us know....

There is only one way to go now though, and that is UP!!!

Good luck

W

wrightme43

One thing I can say about California is that does seem to be one of the most beautiful places in the world.

MarineMom

Reaction score
Visit site
How much does a house cost there?

We are buying a house here in western KY, 4/2 1900+sf, brick. $68,000 Similar house in FL.... $150,000 or more depending on location. I could not afford to go back there, nor do I want to. What really matters is that you are happy where you are :D (and have a job) I prefer peace & quiet and driving/riding 35 miles to work on the weekend and NOT seeing another car for 25 miles of it :rockon:
Good luck J
God bless KY folk...lol

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Salary.com's Cost of Living Wizard Tool

Cost of living is alot less, sales tax is less, prices are lower, much lower population per square mile. 217 per square mile Cali, 98 per square here in KY.
Less intrusive DMV, Social Services, and family court system.

Unemployment rate CA 10.5% not counting those who have stopped looking.
Unemployment rate KY 8.7% not counting those who have stopped looking Highest on record.

estimated number of gang members in CA is over 200,000

In Kentucky, 0 counties reported 10,000 or more gang members, 0 counties reported 3,500-9,999 gang members, 0 counties reported 2,500-3,499 gang members, 0 counties reported 500-2,499 gang members, 26 counties reported 1-499 gang members, 14 counties reported 0 gang members, and there was no reporting from the remaining counties. Cities shown are Lexington and Louisville

States in which there are 5-7 gang members per 1,000 population are California, Colorado, Nevada, and New Mexico

States in which there are 0.4-1 gang members per 1,000 population are Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia

ProgressiveFarmer.com: Best Places: Barren County, Kentucky Barren and Warren county are right next to each other.

I know this is way off topic but you all did ask. These are of course only my opinions.

Yeah but who the f wants to live in KY? :D:Flip: With that kinda logic we should all move to Alaska, where there's no tax at all and you can buy a castle for 20 bucks... IMO there's no better or worse place, it's all about tradeoffs and what your individual priorities in life are.

TKarrade

Software Simian
Reaction score
www.playeralliance.com
And so do nurses. I can take my California money and go buy some land in KY for pennies on the dollar. Helmets at newenough.com cost everyone the same amount....MSRP on an FZ6 is the same regardless where you live...etc. etc.
You should probably put your money where your mouth is. :D Seriously, I echo the comments of a few others about getting out of cali.

Yes... you used to make a lot more money in Cali compared to the rest of the country. That means squat when you're out of a job.

Yes, your house used to be worth twice as much as the same sized house in some other state. It was worth that much because the economy would support those prices. It won't support those prices anymore since they were based on immaterial things like how pretty your state is and how much your neighbor paid for his. That's why California and Las Vegas and Florida and places like that are getting hit so hard. Because all that 'value' was based on the same sort of logic that took AIG stock to $72 a share.

There's a big difference between being able to make PAYMENTS on a thing, and actually being able to afford it. I could probably buy a house in california... and get a job making a lot more than I am now. But I don't think I can afford it.

-TK

Edit: Oh ... you also might be interested to read this.
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/editorials/la-ed-tax13-2009apr13,0,1433832.story
and this
http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/usetaxreturn.htm
You generally owe California use tax when you use, consume, give away or store tangible personal property (i.e., products you can see, weigh, feel or touch, such as clothing, books, computers, DVDs or CDs) in California that you purchased from an out-of-state vendor. If the out-of-state vendor does not collect the California tax on your purchase, you must pay the tax.
Helmets at NewEnough.com actually do cost more in california. :) There's a government panel that will make a recommendation on July 31st on how to force citizens to pay the sales tax.
Enjoy.

Last edited:

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes... you used to make a lot more money in Cali compared to the rest of the country. That means squat when you're out of a job.

Helmets at NewEnough.com actually do cost more in california. :) There's a government panel that will make a recommendation on July 31st on how to force citizens to pay the sales tax.
Enjoy.

Yes as someone that just recently went through a sales tax audit for the business I can strongly second that. You still owe your state taxes on anything purchased out of state that you were not charged for by the seller. The seller in FL isn't set up to collect CA, so you the individual are responsible for filing Use Tax in your state. Not doing so is a violation of state tax laws and you are subject to back taxes, fines, and interest charges. Not that the average person does this...

Seeing how CA is bankrupt as well, I would guess your taxes will increase pretty drastically in the near future.

Very sorry to hear that you're in such a rough spot, but it's times like these that make you who you are. You haven't lost everything, you can't focus on material possesions. You still have your family. Everything is temporary, and I wish you all the best.