Is this an appropriate bike?

JMalmsteen

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello. I'm trying to decide which bike to get as my first sport bike. I am 5'5" 120 lbs with a 31 1/2 inseam. I currently ride a Harley Sportster XL1200L that feels as nimble as a tractor. I bought a Suzuki S40 which is much lighter but has no power. I also have a Honda Shadow Spirit in the garage that I got for my husband for Christmas as a first bike. He's riding the Harley now and I'm riding the Shadow.

Anyway, I'm going to sell the S40 and I'm looking for a sport bike with an upright seating position. I love the FZ-09 as far as fit, but have been warned that this would be a terrible bike to start with based on my current riding experience. So, the FZ6 was recommended.

I have also been looking at the Ducati Monster and Triumph Street Triple.

Would the FZ6 be a more appropriate bike? Thanks!

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
I think so. Sounds like you have a good bit of riding experience, and could transition easily to a sportier ride. The FZ6 is nice due to it's mellow nature if you keep the revs low. I rode around my first couple of weeks under 7k mark, and the bike was really easy to handle. Then when you're ready, you can unleash the power in the higher rev range. Do it! You will not be disappointed.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally i think the FZ6 is a great first bike (it was my first bike, still my only), it rides like a bicycle if you keep it under 6000rpm and becomes a screaming banshee if you open up past 8000rpm and take her to the redline (14000rpm)

This Jekyll and Hyde thing is the reason i love this bike, it is great to learn on if you keep her low in the power band, and it is great fun once you know the beast and open the throttle.
I remember the first time i took her to 12000rpm, i felt like i had done a hyperspace jump!

I am not sure the monster or street triple are as good as "beginner" bikes, because they have a lot more torque lower down and that could lead to nasty surprises if your throttle control isn't great.

In the end, it is very personal, everybody has a different opinion, i love the split personality of the FZ6, i know some people hate it.
I love having to take her past 8000rpm to get power, some people want power down low...

I would say try the 3 of them if you can, and see how you feel, but you definitely can't go wrong with the FZ6!

scidork

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 was my first bike. I did do the MSF basic class where I had ridden a Kawasaki Eliminator 125 but only for the two course days and two years prior to my buying the FZ6. I am 5'8" and about 140 lb with about a 32" inseam so agree heartily on the fit.

So long as you are aware of what you are doing, you really shouldn't be too discouraged away just because it might be more powerful/higher revving than what you've had prior. Personally, I do not ride it like a sport bike but as it sounds you would, upright but with the ability to get spirited and tuck in if the opportunity presents itself or to get out of the way if a traffic situation went awry. If you have an opportunity, a test drive might help put your reservation at ease. Just start slow and feel it out. I've only been scarred on the FZ twice, once when a soccer mom on her phone decided to cut across two lanes of traffic into the spot I was in so she could pass someone, and the first time I actually went over 8000 rpm and felt like the front wheel was lifting off, though it was just a little weight shift.

Be careful though, once your husband rides, he may want to trade.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey there and welcome to the forum! :welcome:

I wonder why you were told FZ-09 would be bad for you? You have riding experience, so what's the issue? It's been said that it has a very abrupt throttle tip-in (FZ6 is known for this too), but this should not be an issue for anyone who's already comfortable operating a motorcycle.

FZ6 is a fantastic, very inexpensive, dependable machine which will make all of the cruisers you've had experience on feel slow (except for low end torque.. that's where cruisers win).

Your inseam should not be much of an issue, especially if your boots have a bit of a heel.. may not be able to flat-foot it, but should be pretty close.

FZ-09 may get you closer to flat-footing, due to its very narrow profile.

There are ways to combat undesirable characteristics of these bikes (abrupt throttle and so-so suspension). Plenty of people ride them as-is and love them.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
to the OP: if you are used to a big sportster I don't see why you couldn't go easily to the FZ-09. Both bikes have no wind protection and you might enjoy the extra punch the 3 cyl and extra cc's would give.

for me the FZ6 is my first bike and I enter my 5th season on it. I could ride it another 5 seasons but just am jonesin for more power down low. If I could afford it I would be on a ninja 1000.

The 6 will be like a loyal friend. dependable as you could ever imagine and lots of fun in the higher rpm band past 8k. You may enjoy having a little wind protection as well especially when speeds get past 60 mph.

Good luck with your choice and let us know if you have more questions on the 6

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey there and welcome to the forum! :welcome:

I wonder why you were told FZ-09 would be bad for you? You have riding experience, so what's the issue? It's been said that it has a very abrupt throttle tip-in (FZ6 is known for this too), but this should not be an issue for anyone who's already comfortable operating a motorcycle.

FZ6 is a fantastic, very inexpensive, dependable machine which will make all of the cruisers you've had experience on feel slow (except for low end torque.. that's where cruisers win).

Your inseam should not be much of an issue, especially if your boots have a bit of a heel.. may not be able to flat-foot it, but should be pretty close.

FZ-09 may get you closer to flat-footing, due to its very narrow profile.

There are ways to combat undesirable characteristics of these bikes (abrupt throttle and so-so suspension). Plenty of people ride them as-is and love them.

It's probably because the FZ9 is reported as being really wheelie happy!

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I personally think the big, sluggish bikes are better to start on but definitely not the bike I want to ride. I started on a VTX1300C and I honestly enjoy this a lot more. The nimbleness, comfort, and acceleration of this bike make it more enjoyable than the old cruiser. I think this is a good upgrade from the clunky Harley but it's a whole different style of bike. Coming from that style, you should be plenty safe if you start easy on the throttle.

If you aren't stupid on the throttle, any bike is relatively safe. Stupidity is in the hands of the rider - not the design of the bike.

Last edited:

JMalmsteen

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. The reason I'm looking on the sport bike end is really the weight. I love how the S40 is 400 lbs, I can actually move it without any trouble. As a result, I'm looking for a better bike that's in that weight range. I'm totally not into wheelies, etc. I just like the ride.

My husband hates anything that isn't a cruiser and wants a big twin Harley, so I'm likely going to trade in the Sportster and get some kind of a Dyna this summer, most likely a wideglide or superglide.

The main issue with the sports bikes is that they won't let you test ride them like they will with the cruisers- liability issues. I'm buying based on reviews, opinions, and sitting on the bike because of this.

We are off this week, so I'm going to visit the Ducati dealer as well as a dealer that has a 2007 or later FZ6 to get an idea of the size of the bike.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The main issue with the sports bikes is that they won't let you test ride them like they will with the cruisers- liability issues. I'm buying based on reviews, opinions, and sitting on the bike because of this.

If you don't settle on anything before 14 riding season, look for demo days. Great way to try out different bikes.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just an observation here; if your goal is to remain on a cruiser, getting on an FZ that flicks easily and will lean further than 95% of the riders can imagine, you can run circles around hubby in the corners without dragging anything.

My point - jump back on cruiser and you better be careful about corner speed or you'll be in trouble.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
It's probably because the FZ9 is reported as being really wheelie happy!

That's an understatement. Even in B-mode it will lift off the ground in 2nd gear (lower speeds) with ease.

Buy what you want to OP. If you have a track around and like that go for the supersport. If you commute far away go fz6-1 but if like something that screams "TAKE THE BACKROADS HOME FOOL!!!!" Than get a 9.

ACME_Rocket

Reaction score
Visit site
Just my two cents here
I am no expert my FZ6 was my first bike and I have only hade it for 2 years and about 9K miles
However my dad has been a Harley rider for some time now

Don’t get me wrong I love my FZ it is the perfect bike for me.
As a few have already seed a 600 I4 can be a Jekyll and Hyde or this bike is a dog below 8k RPM and will pull like nothing else from 8K till red line.
High power band and weight balance of the FZ will run with most sport bikes and give you a great adrenaline rush any time you rev it up however unlike most sport bikes you can ride a FZ all day long.

However riding with big twins you will find your will always in the wrong gear and have to constantly work to match the power on corner exist and made they can’t carry the entrance speed you can.
I have the FZ6 so I can ride both with sport bikes and cruisers
If you will be riding primarily with twins and want something lighter buy a light twin.

I would suggest SV650 or ninja650.
These DOHC V-twins have a broader torque bands and similar max power to 1200 Harley.
Both have a sport bike chasse and will run circles around any cruiser.
However I do not know about maintenance and dependability of these 650.
The I4 has more top power however it is hard to find if you are out for a leisurely ride with the occasional corner carve.
I know from experience it is hard to match a big twin off the line however an I-4 will hit 8K RPM, lift front wheel, and leave a Harley in the dust.
A 650 DOHC V-twin will run with a Harley effortlessly.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Buying a nicely used FZ6 is much cheaper than a new 9. However if you have plenty of bucks get the 9. Don't worry about more power, the throttle works both ways. It goes as fast as YOU make it go.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
Since you have riding experience yes the fz6 is a suitable bike, you would have to take your time to adjust to its character and nature( check the clutch biting point, gauging how much throttle you need to take off etc).

there are a lot of suitable bikes out there, depends on what type of character or engine you like. the i4 of the fz6 would be a nice contrast in my opinion to the twins. the triples from triumph and yamaha seem to be a peach of an engine and tend to be more wheelie happy than the fz6, but wheelies depend on the rider and the throttle!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 is a great all-around sporty bike and would work well for a beginner. The only thing you may not like about it is the high seat height. It's gonna be higher than a sportster seat. I think the FZ6 stock seat is around 31-32" It's high enough that my 30" inseam legs can't allow me to flat foot on both sides when stopped and I'm 145 lbs. It's not a problem for me because the bike is so light but if you want both your feet flat on the ground at stops it's not happening unless you lower the bike.