Is the FZ6 the best bike you have owned, ridden???

Is the FZ6 the best bike you have owned, ridden???

• Yes!

Votes: 164 68.3%
  • No!

Votes: 76 31.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So glad this thread has been resurrected....great answers people, keep em coming...

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
Lately I have ridden other bikes: triumphs and kawis, and I have noticed several aspects on some of them better and even way better than the ones on my naked FZ.

But I really love my bike, and no matter those "negative" aspects everytime I ride it I fall in love again, it is not perfect, it lacks some things, but it is just wonderful and at this moment I don't need any other bike.

Of course I would get another if I could afford it, but I wouldn't be getting rid of NIPO.

My girlfriend named it that way, let me explain:

Here the pattern for motorcycles registration plates is AAA11A -> 3 letters 2 digits 1 letter

the first 3 letters of my bike are NIP

she loves bikes as well (and loves mine specially) and says it is a toy, toy is "juguete" in spanish and is a male noun, so she added an O at the end resulting NIPO, in spanish language nouns and names finished in vowel O are male, so my bike has a male name jejeje

Cheers.

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
Not by a long shot. 137 people on this forum need to take more test rides. :D

It was the best bike for my purposes available for the cash I had in my pocket at the time. Of the random Japanese middleweights I've ridden, the FZ6 is at the top. There are a lot of bikes with better brakes, suspension, and more midrange punch that offer similar tank range and luggage hauling capability.

I think the best bike I've ridden would be the new Ninja 1000, though the BMW R1200RT is a very well sorted bike, and handles better than it has any right to.

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I think The FZ6 is a very versatile bike. Has its pros n cons but overall if I may use the expression ' best bang for the buck '. Sure there are better bikes out there but they cost a lot more. This bike does it all at a decent price. Sad to see that it was taken off the Yamaha line up and replaced with a much lower powered version targeted towards starter bike owners.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I think The FZ6 is a very versatile bike. Has its pros n cons but overall if I may use the expression ' best bang for the buck '. Sure there are better bikes out there but they cost a lot more. This bike does it all at a decent price. Sad to see that it was taken off the Yamaha line up and replaced with a much lower powered version targeted towards starter bike owners.

The FZ6 has been replaced, or in some casers, is still being sold alongside, the FZ8, the XJ6N, or FZ6R, are targetting a slightly different rider obviously, as stated above.

:thumbup:

Sparkybean

Reaction score
Visit site
Care to tell us all why?

Oh ok then.

I had a test ride on one once. It was very light feeling, turned effortlessly and so quick, braked better than anything I've ever tested, had instant torque like a v-twin but revved like an in line 4 (triple seems to have best of both worlds), the noise it makes is awesome, it's comfy like the fz6 but more focused in every way. Remember it is a naked version of the awesome Daytona 675!!!

I've said it before, if any of you get the chance to ride one, do it. Only thing is you may want to swap your beloved fz6 for one. I just couldn't afford one.

Last edited:

600rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Owned: It's hard to decide between Weestrom (DL650) and FZ6; the DL650 is a practical long distance tourer while FZ6 is more of a short weekend sportstourer. For me personally though, DL is about romance and freedom of exploration, while FZ6 offers me a short break in life. Therefore, being time poor these days, FZ6 gets my vote.

Ridden: In terms of fun machine (exclude super sports), street triple r has much more thrill in the ride, although it is easy to fall in love with it quickly, it is also very quick to dislike, too bad STR is nowhere near as good as FZ6 in terms of price (+50%), practicality (min load capacity), quality (could be better), reliability (usual electrical issue) and insurance cost (3x). So I like to ride it but without owning it.

Monstro

Reaction score
Visit site
Best I've owned was GSXR750, had two of these and excellent bikes, when last one was nicked I treated myself to the GSXR1000 but never really got to use her to her full potential. Alongside the Gixxer 1000 I also ran a GSX750F as a work horse but when this died I had to sell the GIXXER to fund a work bike, looked around and thought the FZ6 fitted the bill. It's probably the most practical and cost effective bike for my needs and can be fun as well but as the months go on I really find myself missing the extra grunt of a 750.

Also bought the FZ6 on the back of some excellent memories of my 1996 Thundercat, unfortunately the FZ6 just doesn't match up, found the cat to be better handling and faster.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, i am interested to see the results of this poll, will be a bit skewed i am sure, cause most of us still own FZ6's! But regardless, i am curious???

I am not asking whether you think it's the fastest, most comfortable, etc, etc...
'
But i mean, to live with every day, in the multitude of situations that most of us find ourselves rtiding our bikes in...

I am talking about flexability, the ability to perform different tasks you set the bike, etc...

Reliability, ease of maintenance, etc, etc...might be considerations that should be considered, but it is different for everyone...we all have our bikes for different reasons...

Simple question, just requires a yes or no answer in the above poll.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Would also love to see some of the reasons for your yes/no selection in the poll...
The best bike I ever owned was my first bike
Suzuki ER50. It did every thing I wanted it to do. Off roading, Jumping,
wheelies.
Rode to and from School, Got girls chatting to me.
I leranred lots of spanner skills to.
I loved it.
It gave me my first independent experience of two wheels. You only get that feeling once.

Nelly

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
I miss my 2008 FZ6, one of the best bike I have riden.
I personally think that the BEST bike (at least for the riding I do) is the 2011 BMW R1200R.
And that is why I traded my beloved FZ6 for.
I was so happy the first day, that didn't even notice the speed limit. :BLAA:

ebk02

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes.
I have owned more bikes than I can count, from a 175 Honda, to a 1500 Vulcan.
I started riding in 1968, and have watched the technology progress from bikes that were worn out at 20,000 miles, to bikes today that could run 80, 100k - Goldwings and some other tourers over 200,000? - if maintained and ridden properly. The engine and suspension of today's bikes are far superior.
The only bike that I really rode a lot was a Kawi KZ 750 twin that I put almost 40.000 on and it was still going strong - but it was just a basic bike, and the FZ6 outperforms it hands down in all areas.
Overall, with all aspects of riding - from highway traffic, to mountain twisties - Yes!

keith w

Reaction score
Visit site
I had to vote no. The FZ6 is second best. My 2005 FJR 1300 was the best. I do like that the FZ6 is lighter and more flickable, but the FJR 1300 was amazing on trips and the engine power was great.

The Hill Boys

Reaction score
Visit site
As of now, I would have to say yes. Granted, I don't have a ton of experience, but here is what I am comparing it to...

1984 Kawasaki 440 LTD - I loved that bike.
2007 Yamaha FZ1 - Raven. The most gorgeous bike I have ever seen. Too much power for me though.
2003 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 (rental). Very comfy on the slab. That's about it.
2007 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 - Comfy bike. Suspension sucked. No grin factor.
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (rental). Fun bike. Throttle was more responsive than the Wee. I had fun on it and it is what led me to sell the Wee.
2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM - Super fun bike. A total blast in the city (urban singletrack) and the twisties. Not a long range/high speed weapon, but hard to wipe the smile off of your face after riding it.
2007 Yamaha FZ6. Way more power than the V-Strom. Nowhere near as top heavy/bulky. I kept hearing about the FZ6 having no torque, etc below 8K rpm. Well, it sure has more that then V-Strom. I'm 6'3 and 260 lbs and am very comfortable on it. I do find my butt wanting to move just a bit father back on the seat though. Extremely happy with my choice.

Last edited: