Interesting fact about the R6 forks

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
Talking to Steven Casaer (from bikesetup, the guy really knows what he's talking about - Pro level), about the R6 fork swap.
He said changing the forks would require a full rebuild to make it match to the big difference in weight and balance point. And I was better off with my Ohlins springs.

Just wanted to let you guy's know, since I found it interesting.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
.............................................................................................................................

Last edited:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Talking to Steven Casaer (from bikesetup, the guy really knows what he's talking about - Pro level), about the R6 fork swap.
He said changing the forks would require a full rebuild to make it match to the big difference in weight and balance point. And I was better off with my Ohlins springs.

Just wanted to let you guy's know, since I found it interesting.

Its a pretty common opinion that getting it setup properly is going to be better than the R6 mod. (Cheaper too)
Cchouseky have you ever ridden on a FZ6 with the front suspension properly setup with the new springs etc esp for your weight?
If not go polish those black kettles and pots.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its a pretty common opinion that getting it setup properly is going to be better than the R6 mod. (Cheaper too)
Cchouseky have you ever ridden on a FZ6 with the front suspension properly setup with the new springs etc esp for your weight?
If not go polish those black kettles and pots.

It's pretty common knowlegde, and a well known fact in racing circles in Australia, that an FZ6 with Ohlins fork internals, and the fully adjustable Ohlins rear shock, both set up properly, is a pretty sweet handling package, and about the only thing seperating an FZ6 Cup bike in lap times, compared to the R6, is the fact that the FZ6 Cup bikes put out less horsepower at the rear wheel, in fact, they are "capped" at 100hp at the rear wheel, via FZ6 Cup regulations...

Having spoken to Frank Pons about the pro's & cons of kitted FZ6 forks, and replacing them with Ohlins....this man with 30 years suspension experience, on National & International race bikes, his opinion is that well set up FZ6 forks, are just about as good as the R6 option, and a lot cheaper...

:thumbup:

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
Coming from someone who HAS...he doesn't have a clue as to what he's talking about.

Uhm ... yeah right ...

He isn't famous, but he's know enough in europe for his work. He has worked with Chris Vermeulen to name one. His job is setting up bikes for track.
And I don't think there's anybody on this forum who has 20% of the bike knowlege he has (no offence to anybody).
He doesnt run a Ohlins rebuild service because he's bad @ his work ... but maybe your right and he has no clue what he's talking about ... :rolleyes:

Like "Kriswithak" said, if you have never ridden a FZ with proper springs and oil ...

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
It's pretty common knowlegde, and a well known fact in racing circles in Australia, that an FZ6 with Ohlins fork internals, and the fully adjustable Ohlins rear shock, both set up properly, is a pretty sweet handling package, and about the only thing seperating an FZ6 Cup bike in lap times, compared to the R6, is the fact that the FZ6 Cup bikes put out less horsepower at the rear wheel, in fact, they are "capped" at 100hp at the rear wheel, via FZ6 Cup regulations...

Having spoken to Frank Pons about the pro's & cons of kitted FZ6 forks, and replacing them with Ohlins....this man with 30 years suspension experience, on National & International race bikes, his opinion is that well set up FZ6 forks, are just about as good as the R6 option, and a lot cheaper...

I want a Ohlins rear shock so bad :eek::eek::eek:
But it's so crazy spending all that money on the FZ6, but ... I just can't help myself. I love the bike.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
But consider the weight difference also.
Fz6 forks are heavier than R6 forks.

I don't know about ohlins mod but R6 forks can be adjusted also.

I have the R6 forks for 1500 miles and i'm very happy with them.

About the cost of the R6 fork mod,
it costed me about $100 extra totaly when i sold the Fz6 forks.
Ohlins would cost more i think.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
But consider the weight difference also.
Fz6 forks are heavier than R6 forks.

I don't know about ohlins mod but R6 forks can be adjusted also.

I have the R6 forks for 1500 miles and i'm very happy with them.

About the cost of the R6 fork mod,
it costed me about $100 extra totaly when i sold the Fz6 forks.
Ohlins would cost more i think.

In Australia, secondhand R6 forks fetch in excess of $600 - $1000 normally, Ohlins springs & Gold valve emulators cost about $350 inc. fitting.

This is why it's an easier option in the States to go with R6 forks...cause you can get them secondhand for a song.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
To the OP, sorry, that came off sounding much more "prickish" than I meant for it to be. I do apologize.

Wolfman is right, though...the R6S forks can be picked up here for $200-$250, so it's an economical mod if you live in the states (obviously the OP doesn't.)

Again...didn't mean to be a prick in my original post. That's what I get for posting before my first cup of coffee.

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
No problem man ... and indeed its a not even easy finding R6 forks over here ... let alone affordable. My springs, oil and work cost me 150 euro's. All in all good value.

hot4teach

Reaction score
Visit site
The stock spring in an R6 for is stiffer than the stock FZ6 spring. So I think the weight difference of the bike is negligible.

coiled

Reaction score
Visit site
In Australia, secondhand R6 forks fetch in excess of $600 - $1000 normally, Ohlins springs & Gold valve emulators cost about $350 inc. fitting.

Wolfman, So who should I see if I want to do this? I take it $350 looks after the front. What would I want to look at doing for the rear and expected $$?

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey i don't live in the States as well.
I am from Istanbul and i bought the forks from NJ using ebay.
I paid about $100 for shipping.
If used R6 forks are expensive in Australia, that means Your Fz6 forks can sale for a good money.
So that's a choice.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wolfman, So who should I see if I want to do this? I take it $350 looks after the front. What would I want to look at doing for the rear and expected $$?

I suppose the best way to get things sorted re finding someone toi do the front fork mods, is to ask around, as to who does the best suspension work in your part of the world....that's what i did.

Oh yeah, and when ordering parts, make sure you get the right weight springs for your body weight, but if the suspension tuner orders stuff for you, they will get that sorted with you, anyway.

As for the rear, get ready to have your wallet ingloriously raped! Ohlins aint cheap...but it does seem to be cheaper, and easier to get for the FZ6 in America, anfd the exhange rate at the moment is pretty decent...Ausie dollar was trading at 87c US yesterday!!!

Last edited:

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site